Integrating ROOT into Geant4 application

Integrating ROOT into Geant4 application

Dim, Odera U

Hi CMake Experts,

Please I use CMake to build my Geant4 applications with no issues. However, recently I needed to build ROOT into my Geant4 application for the purpose of extracting and processing simulation data. I have followed the many instructions which exist online both on the Genat4 and ROOT sides but none seems to produce the required results. The issue i'm having I believe is related to the linkage of both Geant4 and ROOT libraries top the generated executable during compilation. I am able to configure and generate build files with a CMakeLists with no errors. Compilation also seems to also complete with no errors but when I run the application I get an error which specifies that LLVM are exposed to Cling and so I need to hide them. In my CMakeLists (which I can provide to you) I do not explicitly link Cling to my executable all I do is link the executable to ROOT libraries (${ROOT_LIBRARIES}). Please, could you help me with this issue or do you know a way that I could link libraries and not expose LLVM to Cling? Thank you.

Dim Odera
UMass Lowell

Re: Integrating ROOT into Geant4 application

R0b0t1
Mr. Odera,

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 8:30 AM, Dim, Odera U <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi CMake Experts,
>
> Please I use CMake to build my Geant4 applications with no issues. However,
> recently I needed to build ROOT into my Geant4 application for the purpose
> of extracting and processing simulation data. I have followed the many
> instructions which exist online both on the Genat4 and ROOT sides but none
> seems to produce the required results. The issue i'm having I believe is
> related to the linkage of both Geant4 and ROOT libraries top the generated
> executable during compilation. I am able to configure and generate build
> files with a CMakeLists with no errors. Compilation also seems to also
> complete with no errors but when I run the application I get an error which
> specifies that LLVM are exposed to Cling and so I need to hide them. In my
> CMakeLists (which I can provide to you) I do not explicitly link Cling to my
> executable all I do is link the executable to ROOT libraries
> (${ROOT_LIBRARIES}). Please, could you help me with this issue or do you
> know a way that I could link libraries and not expose LLVM to Cling? Thank
> you.

If you want help you really should try to answer some of the questions
I asked in my previous email. It happens that I have some experience
with the packages you are trying to use, but you seem to be using them
in a configuration I am not familiar with (i.e. you generated a
standalone demo that you want to distribute?).

It is important I know where you got the packages, how you built them,
and even better, what precisely you are trying to do with them; it
sounds almost like this is a question more suited to ROOT/Geant4
developers than this mailing list.

Cheers,
     R0b0t1

Re: Integrating ROOT into Geant4 application

Dim, Odera U
Hi,

First of all sorry but I didn't get any previous mail before this, hence my lack of response. I actually had to ask Libby to help me some moments ago before I now just received your email.

Secondly, I have tried to post this issue on both the ROOT and Geant4 forums and have not received any feedback so far.

The application I'm building is for in-house use so it won't be distributed. The application I have built in Geant4 has a class (i.e. analysis.cc) that uses a number of function header like TH2D.h, TROOT etc to setup a means to extract data produced in my Geant4 application. For example I have created an instance of analysis.cc in my events class such that after each even I can collect the number of particles produced. Now what I have in my CMakeList.txt is structured such that the Geant4 application can function weather ROOT is installed or not. I have attached my CMakeList.txt file for you to kindly look through.

The error I get as I may have mentioned before in my previous email occurs when I run the Geant4 application. Since the error makes mention of the LLVM being exposed to cling my little knowledge on the subject inclines me to thinking that some how the way I have the Libraries linked to my application might be the issue (however, I may be wrong). Also I have been able to build, compile and run this Geant4 application with no error if I remove ROOT from my build. On the other-hand I have also used ROOT independently of Geant4 to process data. Please let me know if you have more question as I still don't have the email you sent before the current one. Thank you.

Dim Odera
Nuclear Engineering
UMass Lowell

CMakeLists.txt (3K) Download Attachment

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 4:25 PM, Dim, Odera U <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First of all sorry but I didn't get any previous mail before this, hence my
> lack of response. I actually had to ask Libby to help me some moments ago
> before I now just received your email.
>
> Secondly, I have tried to post this issue on both the ROOT and Geant4 forums
> and have not received any feedback so far.
>
> The application I'm building is for in-house use so it won't be distributed.
> The application I have built in Geant4 has a class (i.e. analysis.cc) that
> uses a number of function header like TH2D.h, TROOT etc to setup a means to
> extract data produced in my Geant4 application. For example I have created
> an instance of analysis.cc in my events class such that after each even I
> can collect the number of particles produced. Now what I have in my
> CMakeList.txt is structured such that the Geant4 application can function
> weather ROOT is installed or not. I have attached my CMakeList.txt file for
> you to kindly look through.

The CMakeList.txt is a good start, but I still need the full text of
the error(s) and I may need the rest of your project to demonstrate
the issue. If you can't publicly share your project you will need to
create a minimum working example that exhibits your problem.

That you didn't initially include any of these is likely why you did
not receive responses on the ROOT and Geant4 forums.

> The error I get as I may have mentioned before in my previous email occurs
> when I run the Geant4 application. Since the error makes mention of the LLVM
> being exposed to cling my little knowledge on the subject inclines me to
> thinking that some how the way I have the Libraries linked to my application
> might be the issue (however, I may be wrong). Also I have been able to
> build, compile and run this Geant4 application with no error if I remove
> ROOT from my build. On the other-hand I have also used ROOT independently of
> Geant4 to process data. Please let me know if you have more question as I
> still don't have the email you sent before the current one. Thank you.

Here are my previous questions:

> Can you provide the text of the errors as they are given? Are you
> experiencing build errors, or are you wanting to quiet runtime
> messages?
>
> Which OS are you compiling and running on? Which build instructions
>are you following? What are the build commands that you ran?

To add to this, how did you acquire ROOT/Geant4 and which options are
enabled, since it seems your question is about building a program of
your own? Regardless of whether or not you will be distributing
binaries, these are important questions to ask to make sure your
program can be built easily in the future.

Cheers,
     R0b0t1

Re: Integrating ROOT into Geant4 application

Dim, Odera U

Hi,

You are right about this but in my honest defense no one asked me to send the files. I have included a RAR file containing the application giving the  error stated (Error in <UnknownClass::InitInterpreter()>: LLVM SYMBOLS ARE EXPOSED TO CLING! This will cause problems; please hide them or dlopen() them after the call to TROOT::InitInterpreter()!

Segmentation fault). Although this project is not completely under my control I have scaled down the application to a minimum that still generates the error above . Thank so much you for your offer to help with this issue. Cheers.

Dim Odera

KitWare.rar (67K) Download Attachment

Re: Integrating ROOT into Geant4 application

Dim, Odera U

Hi,

I just tried to sent the files you and the email server bounced it (I attempted sending it as a RAR file). Please what do you suggest I do?

Thanks.

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 11:36 AM, Dim, Odera U <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> You are right about this but in my honest defense no one asked me to send
> the files. I have included a RAR file containing the application giving the
> error stated (Error in <UnknownClass::InitInterpreter()>: LLVM SYMBOLS ARE
> EXPOSED TO CLING! This will cause problems; please hide them or dlopen()
> them after the call to TROOT::InitInterpreter()!
>
> Segmentation fault). Although this project is not completely under my
> control I have scaled down the application to a minimum that still generates
> the error above . Thank so much you for your offer to help with this issue.
> Cheers.

Right, I didn't mean to sound unfriendly, but I think the explanation
would be helpful. Can you provide more context? Please also address my
other questions if you can, or explain how you do not know enough to
answer.

The problem is starting to look like an issue with how you have
installed ROOT or Geant4, which is why I asked about how you acquired
them.

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 11:43 AM, Dim, Odera U <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I just tried to sent the files you and the email server bounced it (I
> attempted sending it as a RAR file). Please what do you suggest I do?

If you can, putting it on GitHub would be the best option
(https://git-scm.com/download/win and see GitHub tutorials). Otherwise
you can look at a file host like https://mega.co.nz. Should you want
to try by email again, some lists will accept .tar.bz2, .tar.gz, and
.tar.xz. If you are on Windows you will probably need to install
Cygwin (https://www.cygwin.com/) or 7zip (http://www.7-zip.org/) to
create an archive of those types.

Cheers,
     R0b0t1

Re: Integrating ROOT into Geant4 application

Dim, Odera U

Hi,

Thank you for your prompt response. I found downloading 7zip the easier route to get the files into a .tar format which would enable them to be sent to you. One question which I did not address which you asked is where I accesses the Geant4 and ROOT. I downloaded both CERN website and installed them on a remote Unix cluster which I have access to. I followed the prescribed installation process which is available on the CERN website. Although, I have Genat4 complied for Multi-threading I do not use the feature yet because my application is still undergoing many modifications. I will send the previous email I sent when the initial file got bounced by your email server. Cheers.

Dim Odera

KitWare.tar (242K) Download Attachment

Re: Integrating ROOT into Geant4 application

Dim, Odera U

Hi,

This is the text of the initial message I set to you without the .rar file. You are right about this but in my honest defense no one asked me to send the files. I have included a RAR file containing the application giving the  error stated (Error in <UnknownClass::InitInterpreter()>: LLVM SYMBOLS ARE EXPOSED TO CLING! This will cause problems; please hide them or dlopen() them after the call to TROOT::InitInterpreter()!

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 3:44 PM, Dim, Odera U <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Thank you for your prompt response. I found downloading 7zip the easier
> route to get the files into a .tar format which would enable them to be sent
> to you. One question which I did not address which you asked is where I
> accesses the Geant4 and ROOT. I downloaded both CERN website and installed
> them on a remote Unix cluster which I have access to. I followed the
> prescribed installation process which is available on the CERN website.
> Although, I have Genat4 complied for Multi-threading I do not use the
> feature yet because my application is still undergoing many modifications. I
> will send the previous email I sent when the initial file got bounced by
> your email server. Cheers.

Did you download binaries? If you built the packages from source, how
did you build it? Which options are enabled? Which OS are you using,
and what is the version of your compiler?

I really do need to know all of these things. Look at the type of
information requested in the bug reports below. Further, the people I
know that use ROOT/Geant4 are often forced to target a specific set of
dependencies with specific options enabled simply because ROOT/Geant4
and programs which link against them are very fragile. ROOT is not
"properly" packaged for most distributions, so I'm going to need to
compile it myself, and I need to make sure it matches what you have.

I found some discussions about your issue, which you have likely found:
1) https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/issues/12644
2) https://root-forum.cern.ch/t/tfile-llvm-symbols-exposed/17816
3) https://github.com/ALLPix/allpix/issues/14
4) https://root-forum.cern.ch/t/llvm-symbols-are-exposed-to-cling-problem/20889/5
6) https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=93103

It's starting to sound like it will be a good idea to get the
attention of the ROOT developers, and they will want the same
information I am asking you for. Sadly this might leave you waiting.

Something you might want to do on your own (or you can send it to the
list) is to look at the Makefile generated by CMake, and check to make
sure that Cling is not linked in. If it is this is likely an issue
with FindROOT.cmake. If it's not, you can try using a Makefile.

Cheers,
     R0b0t1

Re: Integrating ROOT into Geant4 application

Dim, Odera U

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I obtained source files not binaries. I will attempt to provide the information you require. First of all the operating system i'm using is:

Distributor ID: RedHatEnterpriseServer
Release:        6.4
Codename:       Santiago

My compiler version:

gcc version 5.1.0 (GCC)

What build options were selected: I used the default options meaning I built using just the command

cmake --build [no options selected]

I have also included the CMakeCache files for geant4 and ROOT so you can see what options might have constituted the default build on  my system.

Check for Cling:

I have checked the MakeFile generated during the build of my application to see if there is any reference to Cling being linked in and I cant see any. I have Included the MakeFiles ao you may confirm as well as I am definitely no expert at this.

Also, I have posted this question to the ROOT forum and its been there for 2 weeks. I ran into this same issue 3 months ago and posted it on the forum and got no response back then but had to use an alternative method back then which did not require ROOT. This time around I do not have a work around besides trying to make it work some how.

Thanks once again for your efforts. Cheers.

Odera Dim