How to not evaluate variable names ?

fred.antares
Hi,

I've seen a previous discussion on this subject, but unfortunately, none of the
given solutions (as described on
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:VariablesListsStrings) seem to work in my case.

I'm using CMake to generate an XML config file, and one of the tags must have an
argument as follows: args="${serverConfigChanged}". The XML is used by
CruiseControl, and unfortunately, it uses the same variable syntax as CMake. I
tried almost every combination of escaping, double dollars, but couldn't get the
correct output.

Is there some way to achieve that directly from the CMakeList.txt, or should I
do that in the generator code ?

Thanks

Re: How to not evaluate variable names ?

Jeroen Dierckx
On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 8:32 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I've seen a previous discussion on this subject, but unfortunately, none of the
given solutions (as described on
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:VariablesListsStrings) seem to work in my case.

I'm using CMake to generate an XML config file, and one of the tags must have an
argument as follows: args="${serverConfigChanged}". The XML is used by
CruiseControl, and unfortunately, it uses the same variable syntax as CMake. I
tried almost every combination of escaping, double dollars, but couldn't get the
correct output.

Is there some way to achieve that directly from the CMakeList.txt, or should I
do that in the generator code ?

Are you using configure_file? Because then you could use the @ONLY option to ensure only variables of the form @VARNAME@ are replaced.

See http://cmake.org/cmake/help/cmake2.6docs.html#command:configure_file

Greetz,
JeDi

Quoting Jeroen Dierckx <[hidden email]>:

> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 8:32 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've seen a previous discussion on this subject, but unfortunately, none of
> > the
> > given solutions (as described on
> > http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:VariablesListsStrings) seem to work in my
> > case.
> >
> > I'm using CMake to generate an XML config file, and one of the tags must
> > have an
> > argument as follows: args="${serverConfigChanged}". The XML is used by
> > CruiseControl, and unfortunately, it uses the same variable syntax as
> > CMake. I
> > tried almost every combination of escaping, double dollars, but couldn't
> > get the
> > correct output.
> >
> > Is there some way to achieve that directly from the CMakeList.txt, or
> > should I
> > do that in the generator code ?
> >

> Are you using configure_file? Because then you could use the @ONLY option to
> ensure only variables of the form @VARNAME@ are replaced.
>
> See http://cmake.org/cmake/help/cmake2.6docs.html#command:configure_file
>
> Greetz,
> JeDi

No, I'm not using configure_file, at least not in that case, and given the
amount of scripts already existing, it would be a real pain to change all of
them to use @ for variables...

Fred

Re: How to not evaluate variable names ?

Marcel Loose
On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 09:28 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:

> Quoting Jeroen Dierckx <[hidden email]>:
>
> > On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 8:32 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've seen a previous discussion on this subject, but unfortunately, none of
> > > the
> > > given solutions (as described on
> > > http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:VariablesListsStrings) seem to work in my
> > > case.
> > >
> > > I'm using CMake to generate an XML config file, and one of the tags must
> > > have an
> > > argument as follows: args="${serverConfigChanged}". The XML is used by
> > > CruiseControl, and unfortunately, it uses the same variable syntax as
> > > CMake. I
> > > tried almost every combination of escaping, double dollars, but couldn't
> > > get the
> > > correct output.
> > >
> > > Is there some way to achieve that directly from the CMakeList.txt, or
> > > should I
> > > do that in the generator code ?

Hi Jeroen,

What about:

file(WRITE /tmp/dummy.xml "args=\"\${serverConfigChanged}\"\n")

That works for me. You must escape the double quotes (") and the dollar
sign ($).

Best regards,
Marcel Loose.

Quoting Marcel Loose <[hidden email]>:

> On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 09:28 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> > Quoting Jeroen Dierckx <[hidden email]>:

> none of
> my

> must
> couldn't

> Hi Jeroen,
>
> What about:
>
> file(WRITE /tmp/dummy.xml "args=\"\${serverConfigChanged}\"\n")
>
> That works for me. You must escape the double quotes (") and the dollar
> sign ($).
>
> Best regards,
> Marcel Loose.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. I already tried escaping the dollar sign and the
result in that case is args="".

Fred

Re: How to not evaluate variable names ?

David Cole
Are you using "FILE(WRITE"...?

What version of CMake?

This should work. Send the CMake code snippet you are using to try to do this so that we can see what might be wrong.

If using older CMake (2.4.something) then you may have to do:
  set(DOLLAR "$")
  file(WRITE blah "${DOLLAR}{varNameHere}")

...but escaping the "$" inside a string literal has worked for quite some time now... I'd like to know if you have a different use case or are just seeing older-versioned CMake behavior.

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 3:54 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Quoting Marcel Loose <[hidden email]>:

> On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 09:28 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> > Quoting Jeroen Dierckx <[hidden email]>:

> none of
> my

> must
> couldn't

> Hi Jeroen,
>
> What about:
>
> file(WRITE /tmp/dummy.xml "args=\"\${serverConfigChanged}\"\n")
>
> That works for me. You must escape the double quotes (") and the dollar
> sign ($).
>
> Best regards,
> Marcel Loose.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. I already tried escaping the dollar sign and the
result in that case is args="".

Fred

Re: How to not evaluate variable names ?

fred.antares
The problem is I'm working on quite a big project, and it was not written
initially by me. I don't know about the "FILE(WRITE", but here's what I'm doing:
- In the CMakelists, I'm calling a macro with one of the parameters being what I
want in my attribute (in that case "${do_not_evaluate}").
- This macro adds the attribute to a specific source group
- The source group is parsed and interpreted by custom code that was added to
CMake for our own generation needs
- The arg ends up being added to a Tiny XML element
- The XML file write is done from the custom code, by calling Write on the Tiny
XML hierarchy

The CMake version is 2.4.8, but customized with our own generators.

Maybe the simpler thing, given the case and the lack of a direct solution, would
be to add a specific string to the attribute, signaling to the code that it
should be replaced ?

Fred

Quoting David Cole <[hidden email]>:

> Are you using "FILE(WRITE"...?
> What version of CMake?
>
> This should work. Send the CMake code snippet you are using to try to do
> this so that we can see what might be wrong.
>
> If using older CMake (2.4.something) then you may have to do:
>   set(DOLLAR "$")
>   file(WRITE blah "${DOLLAR}{varNameHere}")
>
> ...but escaping the "$" inside a string literal has worked for quite some
> time now... I'd like to know if you have a different use case or are just
> seeing older-versioned CMake behavior.
>

> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 3:54 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Quoting Marcel Loose <[hidden email]>:

> > > none of
> > work in
> > > my

> > > must
> > by
> > as
> > > couldn't

> > or
> > > > > >

> > > Hi Jeroen,
> > >
> > > What about:
> > >
> > > file(WRITE /tmp/dummy.xml "args=\"\${serverConfigChanged}\"\n")
> > >
> > > That works for me. You must escape the double quotes (") and the dollar
> > > sign ($).
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Marcel Loose.
> > >

> > Unfortunately, it doesn't work. I already tried escaping the dollar sign
> > and the
> > result in that case is args="".
> >
> > Fred

> > Powered by www.kitware.com

> > http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

Re: How to not evaluate variable names ?

David Cole
so if you have this:
  macro(blah arg1)
    message("==${arg1}==")
  endmacro(blah)

  blah("${do_not_evaluate}")
  blah("\${do_not_evaluate}")
  blah("\\\${do_not_evaluate}")

you should see:
====
====
==${do_not_evaluate}==

I'm using CMake 2.6.4 to get these results. I think 2.4.8 should give you the same...

Because you are calling through a macro and there are multiple (in this case 2) levels of de-referencing happening, you need extra escaping to get the desired effect.

I think you should be ok "as-is" with your code if you have the right number of escapes in there. Stuff like this is sensitive, though, and there might be a better way to approach it rather than adding escape characters till it works... (Re-design with the intent of passing ${xyz} string literals through the system without multiple levels of escaping...)

If you could post some code (or simplify it) others may be able to offer some more helpful suggestions.

HTH,
David

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 8:09 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
The problem is I'm working on quite a big project, and it was not written
initially by me. I don't know about the "FILE(WRITE", but here's what I'm doing:
- In the CMakelists, I'm calling a macro with one of the parameters being what I
want in my attribute (in that case "${do_not_evaluate}").
- This macro adds the attribute to a specific source group
- The source group is parsed and interpreted by custom code that was added to
CMake for our own generation needs
- The arg ends up being added to a Tiny XML element
- The XML file write is done from the custom code, by calling Write on the Tiny
XML hierarchy

The CMake version is 2.4.8, but customized with our own generators.

Maybe the simpler thing, given the case and the lack of a direct solution, would
be to add a specific string to the attribute, signaling to the code that it
should be replaced ?

Fred

Quoting David Cole <[hidden email]>:

> Are you using "FILE(WRITE"...?
> What version of CMake?
>
> This should work. Send the CMake code snippet you are using to try to do
> this so that we can see what might be wrong.
>
> If using older CMake (2.4.something) then you may have to do:
>   set(DOLLAR "$")
>   file(WRITE blah "${DOLLAR}{varNameHere}")
>
> ...but escaping the "$" inside a string literal has worked for quite some
> time now... I'd like to know if you have a different use case or are just
> seeing older-versioned CMake behavior.
>

> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 3:54 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Quoting Marcel Loose <[hidden email]>:

> > > none of
> > work in
> > > my

> > > must
> > by
> > as
> > > couldn't

> > or
> > > > > >

> > > Hi Jeroen,
> > >
> > > What about:
> > >
> > > file(WRITE /tmp/dummy.xml "args=\"\${serverConfigChanged}\"\n")
> > >
> > > That works for me. You must escape the double quotes (") and the dollar
> > > sign ($).
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Marcel Loose.
> > >

> > Unfortunately, it doesn't work. I already tried escaping the dollar sign
> > and the
> > result in that case is args="".
> >
> > Fred

> > Powered by www.kitware.com

> > http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

Re: How to not evaluate variable names ?

fred.antares
Ok, maybe I didn't escape enough when testing... Anyway, I've just gone with the
code way, tagging my variable and replacing it in my custom generator in that
specific case, and it's working nicely, so that will do for now...

And moreover, it saves me from simplifying and posting code, 'cause it's really
a mess ! (I'm not sure I completely understand it myself :/)

Thanks for the help,