How to have Visual Studio 15 2017 actually use a 64 bit toolchain.

How to have Visual Studio 15 2017 actually use a 64 bit toolchain.

Michael Jackson

The easy answer is to use “ninja” from a VS tools X64 Native command prompt. For those that want to actually use Visual Studio 15 2017 is there anything in CMake or an environment variable that can be set?

The issue is that when I configure I select “Visual Studio 15 2017 Win64” BUT the actual tool chain that VS is using under the hood is a 32 bit compiler. I have verified this through stack overflow and looking at the task manager.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46056263/use-the-64-bit-visual-c-toolset-in-visual-studio-2017

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19820718/how-to-make-visual-studio-use-the-native-amd64-toolchain/25626630#25626630

Is there a CMake variable that I can set to tell Visual Studio to use the X64 toolchain?

Thanks

--

Michael Jackson | Owner, President

      BlueQuartz Software

[e] [hidden email]

[w] www.bluequartz.net

Re: How to have Visual Studio 15 2017 actually use a 64 bit toolchain.

Volker Enderlein
Hi Michael,

I use the CMake generator toolset option "-T host=x64" when generating
the solutions to force the 64 bit compiler being used.

Cheers, Volker

Am 21.09.2018 um 16:13 schrieb Michael Jackson:

> The easy answer is to use “ninja” from a VS tools X64 Native command
> prompt. For those that want to actually use Visual Studio 15 2017 is
> there anything in CMake or an environment variable that can be set?
>

> The issue is that when I configure I select “Visual Studio 15 2017
> Win64” BUT the actual tool chain that VS is using under the hood is a
> 32 bit compiler. I have verified this through stack overflow and
> looking at the task manager.
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46056263/use-the-64-bit-visual-c-toolset-in-visual-studio-2017
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19820718/how-to-make-visual-studio-use-the-native-amd64-toolchain/25626630#25626630
>
> Is there a CMake variable that I can set to tell Visual Studio to use
> the X64 toolchain?
>

> Thanks
>
> --
>
> Michael Jackson | Owner, President
>
>     BlueQuartz Software
>
> [e] [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> [w] www.bluequartz.net <http://www.bluequartz.net>

Re: How to have Visual Studio 15 2017 actually use a 64 bit toolchain.

Mateusz Loskot
On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 at 16:13, Michael Jackson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> For those that want to actually use Visual Studio 15 2017 is there anything in CMake or an environment variable that can be set?

Isn't host=x64 for that purpose?

https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.12/variable/CMAKE_GENERATOR_TOOLSET.html

Best regards

Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net

Re: How to have Visual Studio 15 2017 actually use a 64 bit toolchain.

R0b0t1
On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 4:13 PM, Michael Jackson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The easy answer is to use “ninja” from a VS tools X64 Native command prompt.
> For those that want to actually use Visual Studio 15 2017 is there anything
> in CMake or an environment variable that can be set?
>

> The issue is that when I configure I select “Visual Studio 15 2017 Win64”
> BUT the actual tool chain that VS is using under the hood is a 32 bit
> compiler. I have verified this through stack overflow and looking at the
> task manager.
>

> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46056263/use-the-64-bit-visual-c-toolset-in-visual-studio-2017
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19820718/how-to-make-visual-studio-use-the-native-amd64-toolchain/25626630#25626630
>

> Is there a CMake variable that I can set to tell Visual Studio to use the
> X64 toolchain?

You select x64 when selecting the generator. Use "Visual Studio VV
YYYY Win64" where VV is version and YYYY is year.

> Thanks
>
> --
>
> Michael Jackson | Owner, President
>
>       BlueQuartz Software
>
> [e] [hidden email]
>
> [w] www.bluequartz.net

> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

Re: How to have Visual Studio 15 2017 actually use a 64 bit toolchain.

Michael Jackson
That will NOT use the x64 tool chain. It will use the 32 bit tool chain to produce a 64 bit binary, but NOT use the 64 bit compiler.

Looks like there are 3 ways to do it:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46683300/use-64-bit-compiler-in-visual-studio

Either hack the project file or set an environment variable or use the -T host=x64" option with compiling (as Volker just mentioned).
--

On 9/21/18, 10:41 AM, "R0b0t1" <[hidden email]> wrote:

    You select x64 when selecting the generator. Use "Visual Studio VV
    YYYY Win64" where VV is version and YYYY is year.

Re: How to have Visual Studio 15 2017 actually use a 64 bit toolchain.

Michael Jackson
So I tried using "-DCMAKE_GENERATOR_TOOLSET=x64" while configuring a clean build directory but it still picked up the x86 compiler. I ended up going into the "Settings" of Windows 10 and added the environment variable PreferredToolArchitecture=x64 to my account. Logged out, Logged back in and then did another configuration run and now during the cmake configuration run the proper 64 bit compiler is picked up and used. Still probably missing something obvious in the CMake file that I can add....

--
Mike Jackson

    <[hidden email]> wrote:

    > For those that want to actually use Visual Studio 15 2017 is there anything in CMake or an environment variable that can be set?

    Isn't host=x64 for that purpose?

    https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.12/variable/CMAKE_GENERATOR_TOOLSET.html

    Best regards

Re: How to have Visual Studio 15 2017 actually use a 64 bit toolchain.

J Decker
"C:/tools/unix/cmake/bin/cmake.exe" -G "Visual Studio 15 2016 Win64" -T "v140" ..
C:\tools\unix\cmake\bin\cmake.exe --build . --config "Debug" --target "INSTALL"

    <[hidden email]> wrote:

    > For those that want to actually use Visual Studio 15 2017 is there anything in CMake or an environment variable that can be set?

    Isn't host=x64 for that purpose?

    https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.12/variable/CMAKE_GENERATOR_TOOLSET.html

    Best regards

Re: How to have Visual Studio 15 2017 actually use a 64 bit toolchain.

Michael Jackson
Nope. That just tells what _version_ of the compiler suite to use, but not the architecture.

-- The C compiler identification is MSVC 19.0.24234.1
-- The CXX compiler identification is MSVC 19.0.24234.1
-- Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0/VC/bin/x86_amd64/cl.exe
-- Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0/VC/bin/x86_amd64/cl.exe -- works

C:\Users\mjackson\DREAM3D-Dev\DREAM3D-Builds\Test>set PreferredToolArchitecture=x64
C:\Users\mjackson\DREAM3D-Dev\DREAM3D-Builds\Test>cmake -G "Visual Studio 15 2017 Win64" -T "v140" -DDREAM3D_SDK=C:/DREAM3D_SDK ../../DREAM3D
--  *
-- *******************************************************
-- The C compiler identification is MSVC 19.0.24234.1
-- The CXX compiler identification is MSVC 19.0.24234.1
-- Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0/VC/bin/amd64/cl.exe
-- Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0/VC/bin/amd64/cl.exe -- works

Mike Jackson                  [hidden email]

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 1:32 PM Michael Jackson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nope. That just tells what _version_ of the compiler suite to use, but not the architecture.
Oh right, I understand now.

-- The C compiler identification is MSVC 19.0.24215.1
-- The CXX compiler identification is MSVC 19.0.24215.1
-- Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0/VC/bin/amd64/cl.exe
-- Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0/VC/bin/amd64/cl.exe -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0/VC/bin/amd64/cl.exe
-- Check for working CXX compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0/VC/bin/amd64/cl.exe -- works

do this first.