How to find dll's on Cygwin? (fwd)

Alan W. Irwin
I am pretty sure there are a non-zero number of CMake users here who
have had CMake experience finding dll's on Cygwin (since it appears
from the quote below that import libraries can be replaced by dll's
for the purposes of linking on that platform).  So if you are one with
such experience, I would really appreciate an answer to (or commment
on) the specific question below concerning finding cyggnat-6.dll on
Cygwin or if you prefer to frame your response to the more general
question of finding dll's on that platform, that would be great as
well.

Alan
__________________________
Alan W. Irwin

__________________________

Linux-powered Science
__________________________

Re: How to find dll's on Cygwin? (fwd)

marco atzeri-2
On 27/10/2017 09:32, Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> I am pretty sure there are a non-zero number of CMake users here who
> have had CMake experience finding dll's on Cygwin (since it appears
> from the quote below that import libraries can be replaced by dll's
> for the purposes of linking on that platform).  So if you are one with
> such experience, I would really appreciate an answer to (or commment
> on) the specific question below concerning finding cyggnat-6.dll on
> Cygwin or if you prefer to frame your response to the more general
> question of finding dll's on that platform, that would be great as
> well.
>
> Alan

using the import library is the standard way for linking,
looking for the shared library is surely unusual.

I am not a user of ADA, but the import libraries seems
the one on /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-cygwin/6.4.0/adalib/

Marco

On 2017-10-27 22:31+0200 Marco Atzeri wrote:

> On 27/10/2017 09:32, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>> I am pretty sure there are a non-zero number of CMake users here who
>> have had CMake experience finding dll's on Cygwin (since it appears
>> from the quote below that import libraries can be replaced by dll's
>> for the purposes of linking on that platform).  So if you are one with
>> such experience, I would really appreciate an answer to (or commment
>> on) the specific question below concerning finding cyggnat-6.dll on
>> Cygwin or if you prefer to frame your response to the more general
>> question of finding dll's on that platform, that would be great as
>> well.
>>
>> Alan
>
> using the import library is the standard way for linking,
> looking for the shared library is surely unusual.
>
> I am not a user of ADA, but the import libraries seems
> the one on /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-cygwin/6.4.0/adalib/

Hi Marco:

Thanks for your input to the discussion.

I believe you are referring to
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-cygwin/6.4.0/adalib/libgnat.a

(at least that appears to be the only library candidate I can come up with
by searching for the RE

"usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-cygwin/6.4.0/adalib/.*gnat"

using the <http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi> package search
engine.)

Our understanding is the Cygwin naming convention for the various
kinds of libraries would be (in the gnat library case)

dll               cyggnat-6.dll
import library    libgnat-6.dll.a
static library    libgnat.a

If you use the above search engine to search for the RE "gnat.*dll" it
only finds the above dll and no corresponding import library.

We are pretty sure from its name that libgnat.a is just a static
library. Anyhow, when we link our test_ada library against libgnat.a
that link does appear to work, but afterward when linking Ada
executables against our Ada library (which involves a gnatlink step
with hidden link to one form of the gnat library but likely also
cyggnat-6.dll) we get multiple symbol definition errors. That linking
inconsistency does not happen if we link our Ada library against
cyggnat-6.dll so it appears that is the library CMake needs to find in
this case.

Which neatly ( :-) ) leads back to my original question which is what is the
best CMake logic to find that dll?

Alan

__________________________
Alan W. Irwin

__________________________

Linux-powered Science
__________________________

Re: How to find dll's on Cygwin? (fwd)

Hendrik Sattler
Hi,

looking at the location of the gnat static library, it seems to be a compiler library like libm. You usually do not use find_package on those but directly use -lgnat and the compiler knows how to find it. Requesting static linking will also work then.

HS

Am 28. Oktober 2017 05:38:19 MESZ schrieb "Alan W. Irwin" <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>Astronomy,
>University of Victoria (astrowww.phys.uvic.ca).
>
>Programming affiliations with the FreeEOS equation-of-state
>implementation for stellar interiors (freeeos.sf.net); the Time
>Ephemerides project (timeephem.sf.net); PLplot scientific plotting
>software package (plplot.sf.net); the libLASi project
>(unifont.org/lasi); the Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net);
>and the Linux Brochure Project (lbproject.sf.net).
>__________________________
>
>Linux-powered Science
>__________________________
>--
>
>Powered by www.kitware.com
>
>Please keep messages on-topic and check the CMake FAQ at:
>http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ
>
>Kitware offers various services to support the CMake community. For
>more information on each offering, please visit:

Lectem

Hi,

I think you are looking for fixup_bundle if you are missing DLLs at install. There's no real need to look for the DLLs yourself.

Lectem

On 28/10/2017 05:38, Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> On 2017-10-27 22:31+0200 Marco Atzeri wrote:
>
>> On 27/10/2017 09:32, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>
> Our understanding is the Cygwin naming convention for the various
> kinds of libraries would be (in the gnat library case)
>
> dll               cyggnat-6.dll
> import library    libgnat-6.dll.a
> static library    libgnat.a

Hi Alan,

the understanding is correct, it should be
libgnat-6.dll.a or libgnat.dll.a
However as

  $ gnatlink -v -shared hello
GNATLINK 6.4.0
Copyright (C) 1995-2016, Free Software Foundation, Inc.
gcc -c -mtune=generic -march=x86-64 -gnatA -gnatWb -gnatiw -gnatws
/tmp/ada/b~hello.adb
/usr/bin/gcc.exe b~hello.o ./hello.o -shared -o hello.exe -L./
-L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-cygwin/6.4.0/adalib/ -lgnat-6
-Wl,--stack=0x2000000 -shared-libgcc
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-cygwin/6.4.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-cygwin/bin/ld:
cannot find -lgnat-6
gnatlink: error when calling /usr/bin/gcc.exe

I suspect the ada package is incomplete, so I raised
the attention of the package maintainer.

Regards
Marco

On 2017-10-28 16:44+0200 Marco Atzeri wrote:

> On 28/10/2017 05:38, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>> On 2017-10-27 22:31+0200 Marco Atzeri wrote:
>>
>>> On 27/10/2017 09:32, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>>
>> Our understanding is the Cygwin naming convention for the various
>> kinds of libraries would be (in the gnat library case)
>>
>> dll               cyggnat-6.dll
>> import library    libgnat-6.dll.a
>> static library    libgnat.a
>>

> Hi Alan,
>
> the understanding is correct, it should be
> libgnat-6.dll.a or libgnat.dll.a

Thanks for that confirmation.

> However as
>
> $ gnatlink -v -shared hello
> GNATLINK 6.4.0
> Copyright (C) 1995-2016, Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> gcc -c -mtune=generic -march=x86-64 -gnatA -gnatWb -gnatiw -gnatws
> /tmp/ada/b~hello.adb
> /usr/bin/gcc.exe b~hello.o ./hello.o -shared -o hello.exe -L./
> -L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-cygwin/6.4.0/adalib/ -lgnat-6 -Wl,--stack=0x2000000
> -shared-libgcc
> /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-cygwin/6.4.0/../../../../x86_64-pc-cygwin/bin/ld:
> cannot find -lgnat-6
> gnatlink: error when calling /usr/bin/gcc.exe
>
> I suspect the ada package is incomplete, so I raised
> the attention of the package maintainer.
>
> https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-10/msg00358.html

Hi Marco:

Many thanks (!) for your message to the Cygwin Ada package maintainer
with a clear simple example of the problem. (We were unaware of that
simple Ada example until now, and that is likely to prove useful for
us in the future as well.) If that maintainer is on the ball, I am
pretty confident the net result of your message will be a package fix
that will make our workaround (linking to the dll) for the packaging
issue redundant.

However, until that Cygwin Ada package is fixed we would like to use
that workaround (which so far we have only gotten to work by hand)
from CMake.  So my original general question remains concerning the
best way to get CMake to find dll's.  So far (although we haven't
tried this yet) it appears our best bet is to use find_file (rather
than find_library which appears to be unable to find dll's on the
Cygwin platform) to find that dll for the Cygwin case.  So if anyone
here can suggest a better method of finding dll's on Cygwin, please
let me know.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

Linux-powered Science