How to detect MSVC 2015 update 3 (= presence of /fpermissive-)

How to detect MSVC 2015 update 3 (= presence of /fpermissive-)

René J. V.  Bertin
Hello,

A question that will hopefully have a quick/easy answer:

I'd like to detect when the MSVC /fpermissive- (yes, that's a dash at the end) can be used instead of /Za . I know that a later update bumped the version to 14.0.25422.01 and thus undoubtedly _MSC_FULL_VER== 1402542201 in C code so I could assume everyone keeps installs their updates and use that value.

But what does this translate to in CMake code (MSVC_VERSION)? Probably not just 1903 I presume?

Thanks,
René

Re: How to detect MSVC 2015 update 3 (= presence of /fpermissive-)

Konstantin Tokarev

15.05.2017, 15:57, "René J.V. Bertin" <[hidden email]>:
> Hello,
>
> A question that will hopefully have a quick/easy answer:
>
> I'd like to detect when the MSVC /fpermissive- (yes, that's a dash at the end) can be used instead of /Za . I know that a later update bumped the version to 14.0.25422.01 and thus undoubtedly _MSC_FULL_VER== 1402542201 in C code so I could assume everyone keeps installs their updates and use that value.

Have you tried CHECK_CXX_COMPILER_FLAG?

> But what does this translate to in CMake code (MSVC_VERSION)? Probably not just 1903 I presume?
>
> Thanks,
> René

Konstantin

On Monday May 15 2017 15:58:53 Konstantin Tokarev wrote:

Hello,

>Have you tried CHECK_CXX_COMPILER_FLAG?

I forgot to mention: I don't have a MS dev set-up at the moment. This is for a cross-platform purposes (in KDE's extra-cmake-modules).

Re: How to detect MSVC 2015 update 3 (= presence of /fpermissive-)

René J. V.  Bertin
René J.V. Bertin wrote:

Bump. No one who can help here?

Re: How to detect MSVC 2015 update 3 (= presence of /fpermissive-)

Volker Enderlein

according to https://sourceforge.net/p/predef/wiki/Compilers/ you could
check with

check_cxx_source_compiles("
     #if defined (_MSC_VER) && (_MSC_VER == 1900) && (_MSC_FULL_VER ==
190024210)
     #else
       #error compiler is not MSVC Update3
     #endif
     int main() {
         return 0;
     }
" MSVC_UPDATE3_FOUND)

for the requested feature.

HTH, Cheers, Volker

Am 15/05/2017 um 14:56 schrieb René J.V. Bertin:

> Hello,
>
> A question that will hopefully have a quick/easy answer:
>
> I'd like to detect when the MSVC /fpermissive- (yes, that's a dash at the end) can be used instead of /Za . I know that a later update bumped the version to 14.0.25422.01 and thus undoubtedly _MSC_FULL_VER== 1402542201 in C code so I could assume everyone keeps installs their updates and use that value.
>
> But what does this translate to in CMake code (MSVC_VERSION)? Probably not just 1903 I presume?
>
> Thanks,
> René

Re: How to detect MSVC 2015 update 3 (= presence of /fpermissive-)

René J. V.  Bertin
Volker Enderlein wrote:

Hi,

Thanks, that helps. With there is maybe something to learn from the CMake
sources, too.

R.