How do I get ExternalProject_Add to install libs/programs with sudo access

How do I get ExternalProject_Add to install libs/programs with sudo access

Gonzalo Garramuño
I am in the process of adding ExternalProject_Add commands to my program
and I find them to work okay, except when they get to the install step.
Once they reach the install, they fail as they don't have super user
access to install in /usr/local/, which is where I want them.

How do you work around this with ExternalProject_Add?

Re: How do I get ExternalProject_Add to install libs/programs with sudo access

Ruben Di Battista
If I’m not mistaken, you should be able to change the install prefix using the CMAKE_ARGS option in the Configure step. This is my ExternalProject_Add I use to download third party stuff. Things enclosed by @ are replaced at configure time by correct names/URLs.

```
ExternalProject_Add(
    @TP_PACKAGE_NAME@
    GIT_REPOSITORY @TP_PACKAGE_GIT_REPOSITORY@
    GIT_TAG "master"
    GIT_PROGRESS TRUE
    UPDATE_COMMAND ${GIT_EXECUTABLE} pull
    LOG_DOWNLOAD ON
    LOG_CONFIGURE ON
    LOG_BUILD ON
    INSTALL_DIR "@TP_PACKAGE_INSTALL_DIR@"
    CMAKE_ARGS -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=<INSTALL_DIR> -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS='-g'
)
```

          _
-.     .´  |∞∞∞∞
  ',  ;    |∞∞∞∞∞∞

https://rdb.is

El 23/6/19 a las 19:21, Ruben Di Battista escribió:
If I’m not mistaken, you should be able to change the install prefix using the CMAKE_ARGS option in the Configure step.
    CMAKE_ARGS -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=<INSTALL_DIR> -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS='-g'

Thanks, Ruben.  I am familiar with this.  I was hoping to have a way of installing in /usr/local, by having cmake/ninja call a sudo ninja install and then leaving the terminal to type in the password.

But I guess this is not possible, and I'll have to install somewhere else.