Help with non-standard use of CMake

CMake mailing list
First, CMake is quite impressive. Nice job.

I am using it in a non-standard way where I set a bunch of variables and
then go straight to CTest thatI installs our software and then runs
several hundred tests on it. The batch file looks like this:

rmdir /s/q build
mkdir build
cd build
cmake -Dx64=%x64% -Doption:STRING="%opt%" ..
ctest -D Experimental -S

I do not make or build or compile.

I recently hooked this up to a CDash server which is very handy. I want
to get the results that are sent to CDash, currently from Windows only,
to be all green.

Under Build I have one error: Build log line 2. The system cannot find
the file specified. CMake Error: Generator: execution of make failed.
Make command was: "nmake" "/nologo" "-i"

Under Build I have one warning: Build log line 1. *** WARNING non-zero
return value in ctest from: C:\Program Files\CMake\bin\cmake.exe

Is there a way to suppress the execution of these steps or their error
messages?

Thanks,

Donald

--
Donald [|]
A bad day in [] is better than a good day in {}.

---

Re: Help with non-standard use of CMake

CMake mailing list
On Mon, 2018-12-31 at 16:16 -0500, Donald MacQueen [|] via CMake wrote:

> First, CMake is quite impressive. Nice job.
>
> I am using it in a non-standard way where I set a bunch of variables
> and
> then go straight to CTest thatI installs our software and then runs
> several hundred tests on it. The batch file looks like this:
>
> rmdir /s/q build
> mkdir build
> cd build
> cmake -Dx64=%x64% -Doption:STRING="%opt%" ..
> ctest -D Experimental -S
>
> I do not make or build or compile.
>
> I recently hooked this up to a CDash server which is very handy. I
> want
> to get the results that are sent to CDash, currently from Windows
> only,
> to be all green.
>
> Under Build I have one error: Build log line 2. The system cannot
> find
> the file specified. CMake Error: Generator: execution of make
> failed.
> Make command was: "nmake" "/nologo" "-i"

You could try one of several things:

1) Running with a different generator, such as one of the Visual Studio
   generators or the Ninja generator, or
2) Installing NMake.

However, I am a little curious about what you're doing in your use
case. You say you're not building anything. Does your sofware exist in
the form of scripts (Python, Perl, etc.), or are you downloading pre-
built binaries from somewhere?

> Under Build I have one warning: Build log line 1. *** WARNING non-
> zero
> return value in ctest from: C:\Program Files\CMake\bin\cmake.exe
>
> Is there a way to suppress the execution of these steps or their
> error
> messages?

Without knowing more details about what you're doing, it's possible
that dashboard scripts might be more suited for your use case... though
I see you have a -S argument at the end of your ctest invocation but no
script after it... what's the purpose of this?

See https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.13/manual/ctest.1.html#dashboard-cl
ient-via-ctest-script for details on dashboard scripts.

Kyle

Re: Help with non-standard use of CMake

Alan W. Irwin-2
On 2018-12-31 16:38-0500 Kyle Edwards via CMake wrote:

> On Mon, 2018-12-31 at 16:16 -0500, Donald MacQueen [|] via CMake wrote:
>> First, CMake is quite impressive. Nice job.
>>
>> I am using it in a non-standard way where I set a bunch of variables
>> and
>> then go straight to CTest thatI installs our software and then runs
>> several hundred tests on it. The batch file looks like this:
>>
>> rmdir /s/q build
>> mkdir build
>> cd build
>> cmake -Dx64=%x64% -Doption:STRING="%opt%" ..
>> ctest -D Experimental -S
>>
>> I do not make or build or compile.
>>
>> I recently hooked this up to a CDash server which is very handy. I
>> want
>> to get the results that are sent to CDash, currently from Windows
>> only,
>> to be all green.
>>
>> Under Build I have one error: Build log line 2. The system cannot
>> find
>> the file specified. CMake Error: Generator: execution of make
>> failed.
>> Make command was: "nmake" "/nologo" "-i"
>
> You could try one of several things:
>
> 1) Running with a different generator, such as one of the Visual Studio
>    generators or the Ninja generator, or
> 2) Installing NMake.
>
> However, I am a little curious about what you're doing in your use
> case. You say you're not building anything. Does your sofware exist in
> the form of scripts (Python, Perl, etc.), or are you downloading pre-
> built binaries from somewhere?

I am curious as well about that issue.  It is possible the error he is getting
is because one or more of his tests are not working because he doesn't
use a build step to build something in his project that is needed by those tests.

So to ask the question directly to the OP, do you have any CMake logic
anywhere in this project that builds software, e.g., the add_library or
add_executable commands?  If so, you do have to build all such software
first (by building the "all" target) before you run ctest if any
of your ctest tests depend on those built libraries or executables.

Alan
__________________________
Alan W. Irwin

__________________________

Linux-powered Science
__________________________

On 12/31/2018 4:38 PM, Kyle Edwards wrote:

> On Mon, 2018-12-31 at 16:16 -0500, Donald MacQueen [|] via CMake wrote:
>> First, CMake is quite impressive. Nice job.
>>
>> I am using it in a non-standard way where I set a bunch of variables
>> and
>> then go straight to CTest thatI installs our software and then runs
>> several hundred tests on it. The batch file looks like this:
>>
>> rmdir /s/q build
>> mkdir build
>> cd build
>> cmake -Dx64=%x64% -Doption:STRING="%opt%" ..
>> ctest -D Experimental -S
>>
>> I do not make or build or compile.
>>
>> I recently hooked this up to a CDash server which is very handy. I
>> want
>> to get the results that are sent to CDash, currently from Windows
>> only,
>> to be all green.
>>
>> However, I am a little curious about what you're doing in your use
>> case. You say you're not building anything. Does your sofware exist in
>> the form of scripts (Python, Perl, etc.), or are you downloading pre-
>> built binaries from somewhere?

The purpose here is to 1) test that the installation of our product is
successful (all the files are there with the correct permissions, etc.)
and 2) that the 13k+ tests we have run correctly after installation.
The installer is created using Install Shield.

My CMakelists.txt looks something like this:

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8.8)
if(CMAKE_VERSION VERSION_GREATER "3.1")
   cmake_policy(SET CMP0054 NEW)
endif()

if (${CMAKE_SYSTEM_PROCESSOR} MATCHES "64")
     set (vasttst_isX86_OS FALSE)
     set (vasttst_OsBitness 64)
endif()
     set (vasttst_isX86_OS TRUE)
     set (vasttst_OsBitness 86)
endif ()

200 more lines..

ENABLE_TESTING()

include(CTest)

add_subdirectory(test)

> Without knowing more details about what you're doing, it's possible
> that dashboard scripts might be more suited for your use case... though
> I see you have a -S argument at the end of your ctest invocation but no
> script after it... what's the purpose of this?

The -S is probably left over from when I was trying to set the build
name from a script.  I did a lot of looking around and did not see a
dashboard script that did CTest only.

If I understand what you are saying, I could put all the set variable
stuff above in a file called cdash.txt and then simply run

rmdir /s/q build
mkdir build
cd build
ctest -D Experimental -S cdash.txt

That way I avoid make/build/compile and go straight to CTest.

Right?

--
Donald [|]
A bad day in [] is better than a good day in {}.

---

Re: Help with non-standard use of CMake

frodak17

On Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 9:47 PM Donald MacQueen [|] via CMake <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 12/31/2018 4:38 PM, Kyle Edwards wrote:
> On Mon, 2018-12-31 at 16:16 -0500, Donald MacQueen [|] via CMake wrote:
>> First, CMake is quite impressive. Nice job.
>>
>> I am using it in a non-standard way where I set a bunch of variables
>> and
>> then go straight to CTest thatI installs our software and then runs
>> several hundred tests on it. The batch file looks like this:
>>
>> rmdir /s/q build
>> mkdir build
>> cd build
>> cmake -Dx64=%x64% -Doption:STRING="%opt%" ..
>> ctest -D Experimental -S
>>
>> I do not make or build or compile.
>>
>> I recently hooked this up to a CDash server which is very handy. I
>> want
>> to get the results that are sent to CDash, currently from Windows
>> only,
>> to be all green.
>>
>> However, I am a little curious about what you're doing in your use
>> case. You say you're not building anything. Does your sofware exist in
>> the form of scripts (Python, Perl, etc.), or are you downloading pre-
>> built binaries from somewhere?

The purpose here is to 1) test that the installation of our product is
successful (all the files are there with the correct permissions, etc.)
and 2) that the 13k+ tests we have run correctly after installation.
The installer is created using Install Shield.

My CMakelists.txt looks something like this:

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8.8)
if(CMAKE_VERSION VERSION_GREATER "3.1")
   cmake_policy(SET CMP0054 NEW)
endif()

if (${CMAKE_SYSTEM_PROCESSOR} MATCHES "64")
     set (vasttst_isX86_OS FALSE)
     set (vasttst_OsBitness 64)
endif()
     set (vasttst_isX86_OS TRUE)
     set (vasttst_OsBitness 86)
endif ()

200 more lines..

ENABLE_TESTING()

include(CTest)

add_subdirectory(test)

rmdir /s/q build
mkdir build
cd build
ctest -D Experimental -S cdash.txt

That way I avoid make/build/compile and go straight to CTest.

Right?

--
Donald [|]
A bad day in [] is better than a good day in {}.

I'm trying to follow along but you are calling cmake to do the install and set everything up before you run ctest.
And that the software was already built and packaged separately.

> cmake -Dx64=%x64% -Doption:STRING="%opt%" ..

If the CMakeLists.txt file has the project() command in it that is enough to kick of an implicit build and look for a working compiler using the default generator.
I think you can work around this by using LANGUAGES NONE in the project() command.

Alternatively if CMakeLists.txt can be converted into a pure script without targets then you could run it as cmake -D... -P script_file.cmake
But I'm not sure if that is possible because at some point something makes the test configuration file and the tests need to be found somewhere.

On 1/1/2019 4:48 PM, frodak17 wrote:

I'm trying to follow along but you are calling cmake to do the install and set everything up before you run ctest.
And that the software was already built and packaged separately.

No. CMakelists.txt does nothing but download the correct installer (32 or 64 bit) from our server, set a bunch of variables, and then run CTest.  I invoke the InstallShield installer from a command line in a CTest.

There is no project, no make, no compile, no build. Just set a bunch of variables and run CTest.

I think from what Kyle said I need to migrate(?) this to a script that can be called from CTest directly, e.g., ctest -D Experimental -S cdash.txt.

Thanks for the reply.

On Tue, Jan 1, 2019 at 4:55 PM Donald MacQueen [|] <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 1/1/2019 4:48 PM, frodak17 wrote:

I'm trying to follow along but you are calling cmake to do the install and set everything up before you run ctest.
And that the software was already built and packaged separately.

No. CMakelists.txt does nothing but download the correct installer (32 or 64 bit) from our server, set a bunch of variables, and then run CTest.  I invoke the InstallShield installer from a command line in a CTest.

There is no project, no make, no compile, no build. Just set a bunch of variables and run CTest.

I think from what Kyle said I need to migrate(?) this to a script that can be called from CTest directly, e.g., ctest -D Experimental -S cdash.txt.

Thanks for the reply.

The point I was trying to make is that the mere existence of a CMakeLists.txt is enough for the implicit try_compile()

For example use the following lines:

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8.8)
if(CMAKE_VERSION VERSION_GREATER "3.1")
   cmake_policy(SET CMP0054 NEW)
endif()

Now go into the build folder and type `cmake ..` and it will default with an implicit project with C and C++ languages enabled.
Then it will use the default generator and try to build the sample project to verify a working build system.
After this it will continue to process the rest of the script.

Now it may be that I misunderstood which log you were referring to that contained the error.
But typically any time `cmake` is used (unless used with -P or -E) it will do an implicit build unless something like "project( empty LANGUAGES NONE )" is used.

BTW:
if (${CMAKE_SYSTEM_PROCESSOR} MATCHES "64")
     set (vasttst_isX86_OS FALSE)
     set (vasttst_OsBitness 64)
endif()
     set (vasttst_isX86_OS TRUE)
     set (vasttst_OsBitness 86)
endif ()
has a syntax error, it should be else()

As for the error in question
CMake Error: Generator: execution of make failed.
Make command was: "nmake" "/nologo" "-i"

This error is generated when "cmake --build" is used.
Using a CMakeLists.txt file with no targets, like the one above, then the following steps can be used to generate the error.

1) Open a VS Native Tools Command shell
2) Run:  cmake -G"NMake Makefiles" ..\no_targets
-- This is enough to setup the cache to a working nmake
3) Open a regular cmd.exe shell
4) Run: cmake --build . -- -i
The system cannot find the file specified
CMake Error: Generator: execution of make failed. Make command was: "nmake" "/nologo" "-i"

As for suppressing these steps the only way I am aware of them occurring is if the test itself is trying to build either through issuing a `ctest --test-and-build` or `cmake --build`.
Doesn't the log file mention which test generated the error?  For example when running the tests for cmake there is a file called LastTest.log.  It contains details on all the tests and their results.

I don't think simply running a script is sufficient to use ctest because it seems to need a configured build directory that contains the test configuration file before running the tests.

On Tue, 2019-01-01 at 16:55 -0500, Donald MacQueen [|] wrote:

> No. CMakelists.txt does nothing but download the correct installer
> (32 or 64 bit) from our server, set a bunch of variables, and then
> run CTest.  I invoke the InstallShield installer from a command line
> in a CTest.
> There is no project, no make, no compile, no build. Just set a bunch
> of variables and run CTest.
> I think from what Kyle said I need to migrate(?) this to a script
> that can be called from CTest directly, e.g., ctest -D Experimental
> -S cdash.txt.
> Thanks for the reply.

If CMakeLists.txt is only downloading and running an installer, then
perhaps it would be best to move this step into your CTest dashboard
script as you suggested. Your CMakeLists.txt is generating the
CTestTestfile.cmake file for you, but you can also write this file
yourself with a series of add_test() calls, which would enable you to
completely get rid of CMakeLists.txt.

If you're not comfortable doing this, you can also just do project(foo
LANGUAGES NONE) in your CMakeLists.txt as has already been suggested.

FWIW, the usual convention for CMake scripts is for anything other than
CMakeLists.txt to have a .cmake extension (though this isn't enforced,
it's just a convention.) And the -D argument to CTest isn't necessary
when running a dashboard script. So your CTest invocation would look
like this:

ctest -S dashboard.cmake

You can also have this script run ctest_configure(), which will run
CMake for you (if you decide not to migrate from CMakeLists.txt) so you
don't have to do it in the batch file.

Good luck, and let us know if you have any more questions!

Kyle

Re: Help with non-standard use of CMake

CMake mailing list
Hi Kyle,

I looked at the example of Using ctest and cdash without cmake
(https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/community/wikis/doc/ctest/Using-CTEST-and-CDASH-without-CMAKE#steercmake)
and I think I will try to go in that direction.

Part of my confusion is that I inherited this from a former employee and
have been learning by doing/hacking.

Thanks for the reply.

On Wed, 2019-01-02 at 12:01 -0500, Donald MacQueen [|] wrote:
> I looked at the example of Using ctest and cdash without cmake
> (https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/community/wikis/doc/ctest/Using-CTE
> ST-and-CDASH-without-CMAKE#steercmake)
> and I think I will try to go in that direction.

Donald,

I just looked at that page, and it looks like it was written a very
long time ago, before cmake_host_system_information() and
execute_process() were created. The exec_program() command has been
deprecated for years. I'm going to work on updating it a little bit
right now.

Kyle

Re: Help with non-standard use of CMake

Eric Noulard
Hi Kyle & Donald,

ctest scripting is documented in here as well:

Since this is generated from in-source documentation:

may be an explanation on how to use ctest without cmake directly in a subsection of this manual would be  a way to keep it
more up-to-date along with the source.