Happy Birthday CMake!

Bill Hoffman

http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/insight-developers/2000-August/024248.html

Thanks to everyone that has contributed or used CMake!

-Bill

Re: Happy Birthday CMake!

Alan W. Irwin-2
On 2018-08-31 14:33-0400 Bill Hoffman wrote:

> http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/insight-developers/2000-August/024248.html
>
> Thanks to everyone that has contributed or used CMake!

And thanks to you for coming up with such a useful tool in the first place!

Can you recommend a site that gives a (fairly) short history of CMake
that at least lists the most fundamental changes made to this software
since its inception?  For example, I am pretty sure you have stated before that it
did not start out as a C++ project.  If so, when did it switch to C++?
I did look at <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cmake>, but the history
paragraph there includes nothing about the fundamental changes made along
the way in the development of CMake.

Alan
__________________________
Alan W. Irwin

__________________________

Linux-powered Science
__________________________

Re: Happy Birthday CMake!

Stéphane Ancelot

Congratulations. Really a great work.

On 9/2/2018 6:54 PM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:

And thanks to you for coming up with such a useful tool in the first place!

Can you recommend a site that gives a (fairly) short history of CMake
that at least lists the most fundamental changes made to this software
since its inception?  For example, I am pretty sure you have stated before that it
did not start out as a C++ project.  If so, when did it switch to C++?
I did look at <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cmake>, but the history
paragraph there includes nothing about the fundamental changes made along
the way in the development of CMake.
CMake has always been in C++.   The idea was that all that would be required would be a C++ compiler.  With that, you could build CMake.  Since CMake was designed to build C++ projects, it was assumed that the user would at least have a C++ compiler.

Should be some history these talks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ut9o4OdSC0&feature=youtube_gdata
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqjtN8NGtl4

I don't think there is anything written.

-Bill

Re: Happy Birthday CMake!

Andrew Maclean-3
Hi Bill,
   In the pre-Cmake days I remember building VTK on Windows with a program that configured VTK for the build. Do you remember what it was called? This was back around 2000!

Regards
   Andrew

[...]

Andrew J. P. Maclean

Re: Happy Birthday CMake!