GSOC 2018 CMake Project for Kodi

Kolja Lampe
Hey everybody,

the Kodi Team is also offering a CMake related Project.
Please check it out:

Description: Kodi has its own system for building the many libraries Kodi depends on that supports most platforms (Linux, Android, OS X, iOS) and cross-compiling called depends. At the moment, it is implemented with autotools and hand-crafted Makefiles. This has lead to a lot of code duplication, poor maintainability, and not being very user-friendly. Also, it does not currently work on Windows. This task would be about replacing the current system with a new implementation in CMake that has better maintainability.

Expected outcome: A CMake-based dependency build system that offers roughly the same features as depends (i.e. all required libraries covered, diverse platform support, crosscompilation). If the solution can also be applied to Windows by e.g. adding minimal CMake files to replace some UNIX-only build systems, that would be a big plus, but it is not necessary.

Skills preferred: CMake, shell scripting, general familiarity with UNIX/Linux

Possible mentors: wsnipex

Difficulty: Medium

Type: Infrastructure/Automation

https://kodi.wiki/view/Google_Summer_of_Code/2018#Replacing_depends_with_a_CMake-based_system

Thanks!

Re: GSOC 2018 CMake Project for Kodi

Craig Scott-3
You may want to have a look at the new FetchContent module added in the 3.11 release (currently in release candidate stage). It already brings a production-tested dependency downloading system, but still leaves how to build those dependencies up to the project. It may form a good basis for the GSoC work and I can probably answer questions related to that module if needed.

Also consider other existing systems which may have already sufficiently solved this problem for you or at least be useful for showing how aspects of the work could be done. There are a number of popular systems worth checking out that are often mentioned on this list, including hunter, Spack, cget and others (I'll let the various stakeholders in the relevant projects chime in with their views rather than me potentially misrepresent some).

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 7:57 PM, Kolja Lampe <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Craig Scott
Melbourne, Australia

Re: GSOC 2018 CMake Project for Kodi

mike lojkovic
Alright, signing up for a community college course does suffice. I'm definitely interested in this project.

My actual computer is going to be down for at least a few more days. The damn thing sprung a leak, and Performance pcs is out of the right tubes. (using mobile for now) I should be back up and running by the end of the week. I'll get the formal application in around then.