Force configure_file to re-run

I was wondering if the official advice on re-running ‘configure_file’ has evolved? There’s some answers on StackOverflow about using custom targets / commands to force it but they seem … ugly.

Essentially I want configure_file to re-run each build - I still want the ‘only update the timestamp on the output file to change if the file is really changed’ logic, otherwise I could use file(WRITE).

(I have some variables, expanded in the foo.in file which is the input to configure_file, which change fairly often but not every build, so I’d like to use configure_file to check these variables each build, but only touch/modify <output>.h when the variables really did change)

Kind regards,
James