Finding X11 fails under OS X...

Georgios Petasis
Hi all,

I am trying to compile something that uses X under OS X 10.5.5, but
cmake is unable to locate the X11 libraries.
The include path is located. The failure is while detecting libraries.
For example. libX11 exists in /usr/X11/lib/libX11.6.dylib. Cmake does
not find this library, as it expects to find "libX11.dylib".
There is a libX11.la file from libtool, but is not used during search. I
suppose if the libX11.la was parsed, then the library libX11.6.dylib
would have been found.

Any ideas on how can I persuade cmake to locate the X11 libraries?

Regards,

George

Re: Finding X11 fails under OS X...

Martin Costabel
Georgios Petasis wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to compile something that uses X under OS X 10.5.5, but
> cmake is unable to locate the X11 libraries.
> The include path is located. The failure is while detecting libraries.
> For example. libX11 exists in /usr/X11/lib/libX11.6.dylib. Cmake does
> not find this library, as it expects to find "libX11.dylib".
> There is a libX11.la file from libtool, but is not used during search. I
> suppose if the libX11.la was parsed, then the library libX11.6.dylib
> would have been found.
>
> Any ideas on how can I persuade cmake to locate the X11 libraries?

If you don't have /usr/X11/lib/libX11.dylib (which is a symbolic link to
libX11.6.dylib), then your X11 installation is incomplete. You must have
removed this symlink accidentally. Or maybe you can blame it on Apple's
installer which is known to occasionally forget files.

--
Martin

Re: Finding X11 fails under OS X...

Georgios Petasis

O/H Martin Costabel έγραψε:

> Georgios Petasis wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am trying to compile something that uses X under OS X 10.5.5, but
>> cmake is unable to locate the X11 libraries.
>> The include path is located. The failure is while detecting libraries.
>> For example. libX11 exists in /usr/X11/lib/libX11.6.dylib. Cmake does
>> not find this library, as it expects to find "libX11.dylib".
>> There is a libX11.la file from libtool, but is not used during search. I
>> suppose if the libX11.la was parsed, then the library libX11.6.dylib
>> would have been found.
>>
>> Any ideas on how can I persuade cmake to locate the X11 libraries?
>
> If you don't have /usr/X11/lib/libX11.dylib (which is a symbolic link
> to libX11.6.dylib), then your X11 installation is incomplete. You must
> have removed this symlink accidentally. Or maybe you can blame it on
> Apple's installer which is known to occasionally forget files.

No I don't. In fact there is only a .la file all X11 libraries, besides
the version-coded .dylib files. The only places that there .dylib files
without version (along with the versioned ones) is inside the SDK
folders, which are not considered at all by cmake.

What is the suggested way? Reinstall X-code to get the missing files?

Georgios Petasis wrote:

> O/H Martin Costabel έγραψε:
>> Georgios Petasis wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am trying to compile something that uses X under OS X 10.5.5, but
>>> cmake is unable to locate the X11 libraries.
>>> The include path is located. The failure is while detecting libraries.
>>> For example. libX11 exists in /usr/X11/lib/libX11.6.dylib. Cmake does
>>> not find this library, as it expects to find "libX11.dylib".
>>> There is a libX11.la file from libtool, but is not used during search. I
>>> suppose if the libX11.la was parsed, then the library libX11.6.dylib
>>> would have been found.
>>>
>>> Any ideas on how can I persuade cmake to locate the X11 libraries?
>>
>> If you don't have /usr/X11/lib/libX11.dylib (which is a symbolic link
>> to libX11.6.dylib), then your X11 installation is incomplete. You must
>> have removed this symlink accidentally. Or maybe you can blame it on
>> Apple's installer which is known to occasionally forget files.
>>
> No I don't. In fact there is only a .la file all X11 libraries, besides
> the version-coded .dylib files. The only places that there .dylib files
> without version (along with the versioned ones) is inside the SDK
> folders, which are not considered at all by cmake.
>
> What is the suggested way? Reinstall X-code to get the missing files?

This would not help. Strange as it may sound, but on OSX 10.5 the
unversioned /usr/X11/lib/*.dylib symlinks are installed by the
X11User.pkg from the system disk, not by the X11SDK.pkg from Xcode.

--
Martin

Re: Finding X11 fails under OS X...

Werner Smekal

>> If you don't have /usr/X11/lib/libX11.dylib (which is a symbolic
>> link to libX11.6.dylib), then your X11 installation is incomplete.
>> You must have removed this symlink accidentally. Or maybe you can
>> blame it on Apple's installer which is known to occasionally forget
>> files.
>>
> No I don't. In fact there is only a .la file all X11 libraries,
> besides the version-coded .dylib files. The only places that
> there .dylib files without version (along with the versioned ones)
> is inside the SDK folders, which are not considered at all by cmake.
>
> What is the suggested way? Reinstall X-code to get the missing files?

You could also install xquartz (http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/
wiki) which usually provides a more up-to-date and bugfree version of
X11 than Apple does.

Regards,
Werner

> George

Dr. Werner Smekal
Institut fuer Allgemeine Physik
Technische Universitaet Wien
Wiedner Hauptstr 8-10
A-1040 Wien
Austria

email: [hidden email]
web: http://www.iap.tuwien.ac.at/~smekal
phone: +43-(0)1-58801-13463 (office), +43-(0)1-58801-13469 (laboratory)
fax: +43-(0)1-58801-13499

Werner Smekal wrote:

> Hi,
>>>
>>> If you don't have /usr/X11/lib/libX11.dylib (which is a symbolic link
>>> to libX11.6.dylib), then your X11 installation is incomplete. You
>>> must have removed this symlink accidentally. Or maybe you can blame
>>> it on Apple's installer which is known to occasionally forget files.
>>>
>> No I don't. In fact there is only a .la file all X11 libraries,
>> besides the version-coded .dylib files. The only places that there
>> .dylib files without version (along with the versioned ones) is inside
>> the SDK folders, which are not considered at all by cmake.
>>
>> What is the suggested way? Reinstall X-code to get the missing files?
>
> You could also install xquartz (http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki)
> which usually provides a more up-to-date and bugfree version of X11 than
> Apple does.

One caveat, however: If you ever plan to upgrade to Snow Leopard later
on, then do not install an xquartz version newer than 2.3.3.2, in
particular, do not install version 2.4.0.

--
Martin

Re: Finding X11 fails under OS X...

Alexander Neundorf-3
On Thursday 03 September 2009, Georgios Petasis wrote:
> No I don't. In fact there is only a .la file all X11 libraries, besides
> the version-coded .dylib files. The only places that there .dylib files
> without version (along with the versioned ones) is inside the SDK
> folders, which are not considered at all by cmake.

In which directories are the libraries/headers located in the SDK ?
Maybe these directories should be added to the search paths in FindX11.cmake.

Alex