FindPythonLibs on macOS

Jonas Devlieghere
Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble with FindPythonLibs on macOS when having a version of Python installed from either via python.org or Homebrew (in addition to the system one).

The issue is that I end up with an inconsistency between the library and the interpreter, which causes issues at runtime.

-- Found PythonLibs: /usr/lib/libpython2.7.dylib (found version "2.7.10") <- System Python
-- Found PythonInterp: /usr/local/bin/python2.7 (found version "2.7.15")        <- Homebrew Python

I was wondering if there's a particular reason that FindPythonLibs doesn't use the python-config binary to find both the python libraries and interpreter.

Cheers,
Jonas

Re: FindPythonLibs on macOS

Marc CHEVRIER
There is no specific reason.
But, starting with CMake 3.12, a new approach to manage python is available (modules FindPython2, FindPython3 and FindPython) which take care of consistency between interpreter and libraries and rely, when possible, on python-config tool.

Le ven. 22 juin 2018 à 11:04, Jonas Devlieghere <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble with FindPythonLibs on macOS when having a version of Python installed from either via python.org or Homebrew (in addition to the system one).

The issue is that I end up with an inconsistency between the library and the interpreter, which causes issues at runtime.

-- Found PythonLibs: /usr/lib/libpython2.7.dylib (found version "2.7.10") <- System Python
-- Found PythonInterp: /usr/local/bin/python2.7 (found version "2.7.15")        <- Homebrew Python

I was wondering if there's a particular reason that FindPythonLibs doesn't use the python-config binary to find both the python libraries and interpreter.

Cheers,
Jonas

Re: FindPythonLibs on macOS

Jonas Devlieghere
Hi Marc,

On Jun 22, 2018, at 10:32 AM, Marc CHEVRIER <[hidden email]> wrote:

There is no specific reason.
But, starting with CMake 3.12, a new approach to manage python is available (modules FindPython2, FindPython3 and FindPython) which take care of consistency between interpreter and libraries and rely, when possible, on python-config tool.

Great, that sounds very much like the thing I'm looking for. Thanks!