FindLAPACK problem

Tim Gallagher
Hi,

I sent this out awhile ago, saying it couldn't find the MKL LAPACK. But I think the problem may be bigger than that because it can't find non-MKL lapack for me either. I get:

-- A library with BLAS API found.
-- A library with BLAS API found.
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindLAPACK.cmake:295 (message):
  A required library with LAPACK API not found.  Please specify library
  location.
Call Stack (most recent call first):

but

|21:52||tgallagher@harpy:leslie|> ls /usr/lib64/libblas*
/usr/lib64/libblas.a  /usr/lib64/libblas_pic.a  /usr/lib64/libblas.so  /usr/lib64/libblas.so.3  /usr/lib64/libblas.so.3.3.1

|21:52||tgallagher@harpy:leslie|> ls /usr/lib64/liblapack*
/usr/lib64/liblapack.a      /usr/lib64/liblapack.so    /usr/lib64/liblapack.so.3.3.1
/usr/lib64/liblapack_pic.a  /usr/lib64/liblapack.so.3

So I have BLAS and LAPACK installed from OpenSuSE and CMake 2.8.6. This is sort of a show stopper if we can't get FindLAPACK working.

Tim

Re: FindLAPACK problem

Tim Gallagher
My colleague, Andy Smith, found the problem.

The CMAKE_FIND_LIBRARY_SUFFIXES variable was mispelled as CMAKE_FIND_LIBRRAY_SUFFIXES causing errors.

I created a ticket in Mantis and attached patches for both origin/master and origin/release. The ticket is number 12624.

Tim

I sent this out awhile ago, saying it couldn't find the MKL LAPACK. But I think the problem may be bigger than that because it can't find non-MKL lapack for me either. I get:

-- A library with BLAS API found.
-- A library with BLAS API found.
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindLAPACK.cmake:295 (message):
  A required library with LAPACK API not found.  Please specify library
  location.
Call Stack (most recent call first):

but

|21:52||tgallagher@harpy:leslie|> ls /usr/lib64/libblas*
/usr/lib64/libblas.a  /usr/lib64/libblas_pic.a  /usr/lib64/libblas.so  /usr/lib64/libblas.so.3  /usr/lib64/libblas.so.3.3.1

|21:52||tgallagher@harpy:leslie|> ls /usr/lib64/liblapack*
/usr/lib64/liblapack.a      /usr/lib64/liblapack.so    /usr/lib64/liblapack.so.3.3.1
/usr/lib64/liblapack_pic.a  /usr/lib64/liblapack.so.3

So I have BLAS and LAPACK installed from OpenSuSE and CMake 2.8.6. This is sort of a show stopper if we can't get FindLAPACK working.

Tim

2.8.7 implications for FindLAPACK problem

Alan W. Irwin
On 2011-12-13 12:15-0500 Tim Gallagher wrote:

> My colleague, Andy Smith, found the problem.
>
> The CMAKE_FIND_LIBRARY_SUFFIXES variable was mispelled as CMAKE_FIND_LIBRRAY_SUFFIXES causing errors.
>
> I created a ticket in Mantis and attached patches for both origin/master and origin/release. The ticket is number 12624.

I have used FindLAPACK quite a bit in the past without issues for my
FreeEOS project. So your report surprised me.  However, on further
investigation, it turns out you have found a recursion introduced
between 2.8.5 and 2.8.6 which explains my good prior results and your
bad results now.  Of course, to help the CMake developers avoid such
regressions I should have tested FreeEOS builds against 2.8.6 before
it was released, but although I did test the PLplot build that way, I
forgot to do such a test for FreeEOS.

I hope your patch is quickly accepted by the CMake developers for
2.8.7 since 2.8.6 will have to be black-listed for FreeEOS (and
presumably many other projects that use lapack/blas).

Alan
__________________________
Alan W. Irwin

Linux-powered Science

Re: FindLAPACK problem

Tim Gallagher
I've found and fixed another problem.

When using Intel MKL, Pthreads is also required. There is a call to find_package for Threads in FindLAPACK, and when it checks that the libraries work in the macro, it links against them so the test build works fine. But at the end of the macro, when building the list of libraries used for lapack, it does not include threads as it should.

I've submitted another bug report and uploaded patches, again for both master and release. Ticket number is 12625.

Tim