FindDoxygen is doing find_package() when it is included

FindDoxygen is doing find_package() when it is included

Robert Dailey-2
When I do this:

message( "blah1" )
include( FindDoxygen )

message( "blah2" )
find_package( Doxygen 1.8.6 OPTIONAL_COMPONENTS dot )
message( "blah3" )

I get this output:

blah1
-- Found Doxygen: C:/Program Files/doxygen/bin/doxygen.exe (found
version "1.8.13") found components:  doxygen missing components:  dot
blah2
-- Found Doxygen: C:/Program Files/doxygen/bin/doxygen.exe (found
suitable version "1.8.13", minimum required is "1.8.6") found
components:  doxygen missing components:  dot
blah3

Two questions:

1. Why is find_package() happening automatically when I include the
find module? This is contrary to the behavior of other find modules. I
do not want it to find doxygen for me, as I have some minimum version
requirements and I do not want it to find dot. How can I disable this
implied search behavior?

2. Each time I run my scripts, it keeps searching for doxygen. Even
though I've specified dot as an optional component. I do not want it
to keep searching for doxygen each time I generate. It should find it
once and be done. How can I fix this behavior?

Re: FindDoxygen is doing find_package() when it is included

Robert Dailey-2
I actually confused myself a bit... I think the issue is not that
finding happens when including it, but that doxygen_add_docs() is
bundled with the find module. What is the intended usage of this? If I
do find_package() will that also make doxygen_add_docs() available? Or
do I have to explicitly include FindDoxygen to get access to the
function?

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 1:13 PM, Robert Dailey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When I do this:
>

> message( "blah1" )
> include( FindDoxygen )
>
> message( "blah2" )
> find_package( Doxygen 1.8.6 OPTIONAL_COMPONENTS dot )
> message( "blah3" )
>

> I get this output:
>

> blah1
> -- Found Doxygen: C:/Program Files/doxygen/bin/doxygen.exe (found
> version "1.8.13") found components:  doxygen missing components:  dot
> blah2
> -- Found Doxygen: C:/Program Files/doxygen/bin/doxygen.exe (found
> suitable version "1.8.13", minimum required is "1.8.6") found
> components:  doxygen missing components:  dot
> blah3
>

> Two questions:
>
> 1. Why is find_package() happening automatically when I include the
> find module? This is contrary to the behavior of other find modules. I
> do not want it to find doxygen for me, as I have some minimum version
> requirements and I do not want it to find dot. How can I disable this
> implied search behavior?
>
> 2. Each time I run my scripts, it keeps searching for doxygen. Even
> though I've specified dot as an optional component. I do not want it
> to keep searching for doxygen each time I generate. It should find it
> once and be done. How can I fix this behavior?

Re: FindDoxygen is doing find_package() when it is included

Robert Dailey-2
Apologies for the confusion and spam: I figured out that when you do a
find_package(), it also implicitly includes the contents of that
module into your list file so you can access its functions. I was
under the impression I had to include FindDoxygen.cmake explicitly to
access the functions it provides.

I'm guessing this is supported behavior. If so, I'll rely on it.