FindBLAS.cmake broken on macOS?

Robin Verschueren
Dear all,

I'm having difficulty making CMake find any BLAS on my macOS. I have two:
  1. OpenBLAS installed with homebrew: /usr/local/opt/openblas/lib/libopenblasp-r0.2.19.dylib
  2. System BLAS: /System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework//Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/A/libBLAS.dylib
For (1.), I set BLA_VENDOR "OpenBLAS" as per the docs of FindBLAS.cmake. CMake fails with "A required library with BLAS API not found.  Please specify library location."  I fixed it with a kludge by
  • set(_libdir "/usr/local/opt/openblas/lib" CACHE INTERNAL "OpenBLAS location")
in the cache before calling FindBLAS. This violates all kinds of principles, among which the fact that ${_libdir} is a local variable to the FindBLAS module.

For (2.), FindBLAS actually finds something, however, the ${BLAS_LIBRARIES} variable is set to "/System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework" which is a folder and thus unusable in any IMPORTED targets.

Any advice? I did not find anything related in the open "FindBLAS" issues on Gitlab.

Best regards,
Robin