ExternalProject questions

Michael Wild
Hi all

I have a few questions concerning the new ExternalProject module
(which, by the way is fantastic and really simplifies my code).

1. From my understanding of the ExternalProject_Add documentation,
shouldn't INSTALL_DIR be passed on the configure-line as -
DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=${INSTALL_DIR} when configuring a CMake-
based project? As far as I can tell, <INSTALL_DIR> is never used in
_ep_add_configure_command (and also no other place, although the
ExternalProject_Add_Step does the substitution).

2. Is it possible to have the library produced by ExternalProject_Add
depend on the target created by ExternalProject_Add? This would
greatly simplify dependency tracking for me.

3. It would be really useful if CMake implemented a '-E patch'
command. In the same line, it would be great if ExternalProject_Add
had a PATCH_FILE <patch> option, which allows one to simply pass it a
patch which applies with -p1 to the source directory.

Michael

Re: ExternalProject questions

Hugh Sorby
I have nothing to say for 1. and 2. but I also would like to see 3. in
CMake.  Currently I am patching some third_party sources to suit my
needs and it would be easier for me if patch was added as an CMake -E
command.

I was considering making a feature request but since Michael has
mentioned it here, I thought I would add my 2 cents worth.

Michael Wild wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have a few questions concerning the new ExternalProject module
> (which, by the way is fantastic and really simplifies my code).
>
> 1. From my understanding of the ExternalProject_Add documentation,
> shouldn't INSTALL_DIR be passed on the configure-line as
> -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=${INSTALL_DIR} when configuring a
> CMake-based project? As far as I can tell, <INSTALL_DIR> is never used
> in _ep_add_configure_command (and also no other place, although the
> ExternalProject_Add_Step does the substitution).
>
> 2. Is it possible to have the library produced by ExternalProject_Add
> depend on the target created by ExternalProject_Add? This would
> greatly simplify dependency tracking for me.
>
> 3. It would be really useful if CMake implemented a '-E patch'
> command. In the same line, it would be great if ExternalProject_Add
> had a PATCH_FILE <patch> option, which allows one to simply pass it a
> patch which applies with -p1 to the source directory.
>
> Michael

> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

Re: ExternalProject questions

Michael Wild
I have to mention that implementing a patching facility in CMake would
probably be a considerable effort. Perhaps http://www.xmailserver.org/xdiff-lib.html
  could be of use there. This library would also allow to implement '-
E diff', although I'm not sure whether that would be useful at all...

Michael