Expected behaviour of #cmakedefine

Ian Cullen
Hi,

I'm trying to create a header file containing version number details but
am not sure if the following behaviour is expected or a bug.

Simplified example has 2 files

==> CMakeLists.txt <==
cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.11)
project (
   VersionTest
   VERSION 1.0.4
   )

configure_file (
   "${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR}/config.h.in"
   "${PROJECT_BINARY_DIR}/config.h"
   @ONLY
   )

==> config.h.in <==
#cmakedefine VersionTest_VERSION_MAJOR @VersionTest_VERSION_MAJOR@
#cmakedefine VersionTest_VERSION_MINOR @VersionTest_VERSION_MINOR@
#define VersionTest_VERSION_MINOR @VersionTest_VERSION_MINOR@

Running cmake creates the output file as required but it has the
following contents

==> config.h <==
#define VersionTest_VERSION_MAJOR 1
/* #undef VersionTest_VERSION_MINOR */
#define VersionTest_VERSION_MINOR 0

Looking at the manual
(https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.12/command/configure_file.html), this
appears to be because the number '0' is considered false by the if()
command, however '0' is valid within a version number, so perhaps should
not be considered false in this context.

Is this a known issue? Is it recommended to use #define rather than
#cmakedefine for these types of files?

Thanks

Re: Expected behaviour of #cmakedefine

J. Caleb Wherry
I suppose it all depends on if there are situations where you don’t want those variables set? To me, it doesn’t make sense to ever not have version numbers set so I would use #define.

-Caleb

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 8:32 AM Ian Cullen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Re: Expected behaviour of #cmakedefine

Ian Cullen
Agreed, version numbers will never not be set so #define is the better choice in this case. However this seems like an easy thing for users to trip-up on, particularly as only #cmakedefine is used in the configure_file() manual page.

Perhaps an additional example, or an INFO/WARNING section in the manual to highlight this 'issue'?