Error using sudo ./bootstrap && make && make install

Error using sudo ./bootstrap && make && make install

Frank Tocci
Hello,

I am trying to install Cmake and I am running into an error when I enter the install directory and run
sudo ./bootstrap && make && make install
as specified in the README file

The error message is as follows:

CMake Error at cmake_install.cmake:41 (file):
  file INSTALL cannot copy file
  "/home/frank/Downloads/cmake-3.13.0-rc1/Copyright.txt" to
  "/usr/local/doc/cmake-3.13/Copyright.txt".

Makefile:83: recipe for target 'install' failed
make: *** [install] Error 1

Thank you,
Frank Tocci

Re: Error using sudo ./bootstrap && make && make install

David Demelier-2

Le 16/10/2018 à 23:04, Frank Tocci a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to install Cmake and I am running into an error when I
> enter the install directory and run
> sudo ./bootstrap && make && make install
> as specified in the README file

Hello,

You're not supposed to do sudo bootstrap. You should always build as
your user. Only make install has to be run as root.

So do the following:

./boostrap

make

sudo make install