Error from GenerateExportHeader.cmake (configure_file)

Error from GenerateExportHeader.cmake (configure_file)

Miroslav Drahos

Hi,

I am getting errors emanating from GenerateExportHeader.cmake and hope someone has any pointers on this. The error:

CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.5/Modules/GenerateExportHeader.cmake:362 (configure_file):
  configure_file Problem configuring file
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake-3.5/Modules/GenerateExportHeader.cmake:378 (_do_generate_export_header)
  /slave/workspace/build-1.7.0/aurissw/Main/CMake/AsrCreateLibraryMacro.cmake:161 (generate_export_header)

The relevant portion of the custom AsrCreateLibraryMacro.cmake is pretty standard, according to cmake docs:

  unset(exportMacro)
  string(TOUPPER ${TARGET} exportMacro)
  set(exportMacro "${exportMacro}_DLLSPEC")
  set(exportHeader ${TARGET}_export.h)
  generate_export_header(${TARGET}
    BASE_NAME ${TARGET}
    EXPORT_MACRO_NAME ${exportMacro}
    EXPORT_FILE_NAME ${exportHeader}
    )

where TARGET is always set to a valid string (library name).

The error is not consistent among machines -- on some machines this error is never seen, on others, it consistently fails. All of these machines run a pretty standard Linux distribution (most of them Ubuntu 16.04), and use the same cmake 3.5.1.

Here is the system version that we are using:
Linux version 4.4.0-36-generic (buildd@lcy01-01) (gcc version 5.4.0 20160609 (Ubuntu 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.2) ) #55-Ubuntu SMP Thu Aug 11 18:01:55 UTC 2016
We have a machine with the exact same system version that builds fine and a machine that cmake consistently fails.

Has anyone experienced a similar error? Any clues on what may be the problem?
Thank you tons,
Miro

Re: Error from GenerateExportHeader.cmake (configure_file)

Michael Ellery

> On Mar 3, 2017, at 9:23 AM, Miroslav Drahos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I am getting errors emanating from GenerateExportHeader.cmake and hope someone has any pointers on this. The error:
>
> CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.5/Modules/GenerateExportHeader.cmake:362 (configure_file):
>   configure_file Problem configuring file
> Call Stack (most recent call first):
>   /usr/share/cmake-3.5/Modules/GenerateExportHeader.cmake:378 (_do_generate_export_header)
>   /slave/workspace/build-1.7.0/aurissw/Main/CMake/AsrCreateLibraryMacro.cmake:161 (generate_export_header)
>
> The relevant portion of the custom AsrCreateLibraryMacro.cmake is pretty standard, according to cmake docs:
>
>   unset(exportMacro)
>   string(TOUPPER ${TARGET} exportMacro)
>   set(exportMacro "${exportMacro}_DLLSPEC")
>   set(exportHeader ${TARGET}_export.h)
>   generate_export_header(${TARGET}
>     BASE_NAME ${TARGET}
>     EXPORT_MACRO_NAME ${exportMacro}
>     EXPORT_FILE_NAME ${exportHeader}
>     )
>
> where TARGET is always set to a valid string (library name).
>
> The error is not consistent among machines -- on some machines this error is never seen, on others, it consistently fails. All of these machines run a pretty standard Linux distribution (most of them Ubuntu 16.04), and use the same cmake 3.5.1.
>
> Here is the system version that we are using:
> Linux version 4.4.0-36-generic (buildd@lcy01-01) (gcc version 5.4.0 20160609 (Ubuntu 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.2) ) #55-Ubuntu SMP Thu Aug 11 18:01:55 UTC 2016
> We have a machine with the exact same system version that builds fine and a machine that cmake consistently fails.
>
> Has anyone experienced a similar error? Any clues on what may be the problem?
> Thank you tons,
> Miro

This might just be a filesystem error when writing the configured header file. I would try message() printing the value of ${exportHeader} and ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR} before calling GEH to make sure the filepath looks valid and writeable.

-Mike