Displaying sub projects in Eclipse

dim-3
Hi group,

I'm using cmake 2.6.4 for cross platform development in Windows and Linux.

On Windows we're using Visual Studio 9 and on Linux Eclipse with CDT (4 or 5 - still not decided).

The code have a lot of projects and they're nicely presented in Visual Studio.
While I import project to Eclipse and point it to the root of source tree only project Project-DEBUG@xxx is presented, while sub projects are missing.

Is it by design? Is cmake keyword project() is relevant for Visual Studio generator only?

Thanks
Dima

Re: Displaying sub projects in Eclipse

Alexander Neundorf-3
On Monday 03 August 2009, Dim wrote:

> Hi group,
>
> I'm using cmake 2.6.4 for cross platform development in Windows and Linux.
>
> On Windows we're using Visual Studio 9 and on Linux Eclipse with CDT (4 or
> 5 - still not decided).
>
> The code have a lot of projects and they're nicely presented in Visual
> Studio.
> While I import project to Eclipse and point it to the root of source tree
> only project Project-DEBUG@xxx is presented, while sub projects are
> missing.
>
> Is it by design?
> Is cmake keyword project() is relevant for Visual Studio
> generator only?

Maybe it's also used by the Xcode generator, not sure. At least it is
currently not used by the Eclipse generator.
Feel free to enter a feature request in the cmake bugtracker. Ideally with a
patch already attached :-)

Alex

Re: Displaying sub projects in Eclipse

Michael Jackson
On Aug 5, 2009, at 5:05 PM, Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> On Monday 03 August 2009, Dim wrote:
>> Hi group,
>>
>> I'm using cmake 2.6.4 for cross platform development in Windows and
>> Linux.
>>
>> On Windows we're using Visual Studio 9 and on Linux Eclipse with
>> CDT (4 or
>> 5 - still not decided).
>>
>> The code have a lot of projects and they're nicely presented in
>> Visual
>> Studio.
>> While I import project to Eclipse and point it to the root of
>> source tree
>> only project Project-DEBUG@xxx is presented, while sub projects are
>> missing.
>>
>> Is it by design?
>> Is cmake keyword project() is relevant for Visual Studio
>> generator only?
>
> Maybe it's also used by the Xcode generator, not sure. At least it is
> currently not used by the Eclipse generator.
> Feel free to enter a feature request in the cmake bugtracker.
> Ideally with a
> patch already attached :-)
>
> Alex

I don't think Eclipse has the idea of subprojects. It (CDT) has the
notion of a workspace and the workspace has projects which is close to
what you want but not quite there unless someone wants to write
another CDT generator where instead of a CDT project you create a CDT
workspace from the project. For large projects like ParaView, VTK,
ITK, Boost this might actually be pretty nice.

Just my 2 cents.
Mike Jackson                  [hidden email]
BlueQuartz Software                    www.bluequartz.net
Principal Software Engineer                  Dayton, Ohio