Quantcast

Disabling INSTALL target for subdirectory

Disabling INSTALL target for subdirectory

Milan Ziegler
Hi,

we are using the CMake install mechanism "install(...)" to copy all
relevant files and target binaries of the product into the CMake install
prefix folder, for further packaging. So far so good.

We are also using several thirdparty libraries, hosting them inside our
own repository and building them along with our own code, usually using
add_subdirectory utilizing their native CMake buildsystem.

Turns out, other developers also like the CMake install mechanism.

So now the INSTALL target of our whole project also installs thirdparty
components, which we do not want to deliver with our own product (think
static libraries, which are already linked into our executable).

After a lot of googling, here's my question: Is there a clean way to
disable the install target for a subdirectory _without_ also disabling
it completely for the remaining project?

What we already tried:
* Setting CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX to a temporary directory for the
subdirectory (doesn't work)
* "function(install) endfunction()" to disable the install function for
the subdirectory (breaks CMake in hilarious ways)

What we now do:
Using a custom target, we patch the cmake_install.cmake files in the
build directories before installing (works, but it's an  abomination of
a hack)

Any help? I think it's a valid usecase for CMake but there doesn't seem
to be an easy way to do it.

We are using CMake 3.5.

Thank you :)

--
  Milan

Re: Disabling INSTALL target for subdirectory

Konstantin Podsvirov
Hello all!

10:00, 16 February 2017 г., Milan Ziegler <[hidden email]>:

[...]

It common actual problem.

My suggestion:
a) Separate CMakeLists.txt code to several files:
 - CMakeLists.txt;
 - CTestLists.txt;
 - CDashLists.txt;
 - CPackLists.txt;
b) Add common options to enable/disable feature for directory:
 - CMAKE_LISTS_TXT:BOOL;
 - CTEST_LISTS_TXT:BOOL;
 - CDASH_LISTS_TXT:BOOL;
 - CPACK_LISTS_TXT:BOOL;
c) Fix add_subdirectory command implementation :-)

Konstantin Podsvirov

Re: Disabling INSTALL target for subdirectory

Craig Scott-3
You can use the COMPONENT option to install() for your own project and then select a component-based package if you are packaging with CPack. We currently do this with builds that incorporate other projects with add_subdirectory() similar to your case.

If you are using install as a build target (ie make install or equivalent), I don't think the above will help you. I don't recall if the EXCLUDE_FROM_ALL option to add_subdirectory() affects install or not. I believe there was some discussion about this in one of the mailing lists or gitlab issues recently, so maybe someone else can chime in to clarify this part.

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 at 3:59 pm, Milan Ziegler <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Craig Scott
Melbourne, Australia

Re: Disabling INSTALL target for subdirectory

Domen Vrankar

we are using the CMake install mechanism "install(...)" to copy all
relevant files and target binaries of the product into the CMake install
prefix folder, for further packaging. So far so good.

We are also using several thirdparty libraries, hosting them inside our
own repository and building them along with our own code, usually using
add_subdirectory utilizing their native CMake buildsystem.

Turns out, other developers also like the CMake install mechanism.

So now the INSTALL target of our whole project also installs thirdparty
components, which we do not want to deliver with our own product (think
static libraries, which are already linked into our executable).

After a lot of googling, here's my question: Is there a clean way to
disable the install target for a subdirectory _without_ also disabling
it completely for the remaining project?

I would never add third party libraries to my own project in such a way mainly because:
- either my project or external project may change a variable (cache it) and give me a head ache figuring out where the interaction went wrong (and having to be so intimate with their build scripts is usually poor use of time) and
- I would rarely/somewhat independently be changing their code.

I would either build external libraries (of course along with the relevant headers) and install them somewhere on the system (treating them as a separate project development wise) and then write find scripts for my project to be used with "find_package()" command
or in case I'll be making some sort of an uberbuild or changing the external code a bit more regularly (at which point I'd start to question the design and maturity of the external dependency...) I'd go with ExternalProject_Add() command and then install the dependencies that I'd still like to see in my project by calling combination of "ExternalProject_Get_Property(... binary_dir)" and "install()" commands - external projects won't rebuild automatically if you change the code but you can always go into the relevant subdirectory and rebuild it there (I've found no problems doing that as usually I won't go changing multiple external dependencies at the same time - doing that would usually indicate poor design or invalid use of the external dependencies or my code).

Regards,
Domen

Re: Disabling INSTALL target for subdirectory

Florent Castelli
Use add_subdirectory(...  EXCLUDE_FROM_ALL) to prevent anything in there to be installed by default.
I had the issue in one project and it did fix it for us.

Also, 3rdparty libraries should be tagged like that anyway to be built only when they are used by the main targets.

/Florent

On Feb 16, 2017 07:59, "Milan Ziegler" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Florent,

thank you so much. EXCLUDE_FROM_ALL does indeed have the effect of ignoring any install() invocations from within the subdirectory. I remember stumbling across this option, but from the docs I didn't get the impression that this would affect the installation as well.

Maybe the documentation needs a few more words here.

Also, 3rdparty libraries should be tagged like that anyway to be built only when they are used by the main targets.
Yes, this is a good idea.

Thanks again,
Milan

--