Default library name?

Hendrik Greving
Hi, is there a way to get the default library or executable name at configure time (except obsolete LOCATION property)? i.e. lib${target_name}.so in Linux, where target_name is NAME target property? Thanks in advance.

Re: Default library name?

Robert Maynard
At configure time you query OUTPUT_NAME target property
(https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.11/prop_tgt/OUTPUT_NAME.html) and if
not set you use NAME (
https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.11/prop_tgt/NAME.html )
On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 11:48 AM Hendrik Greving
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, is there a way to get the default library or executable name at configure time (except obsolete LOCATION property)? i.e. lib${target_name}.so in Linux, where target_name is NAME target property? Thanks in advance.

Re: Default library name?

Hendrik Greving
I think OUTPUT_NAME is not set by default. I am getting var-NOTFOUND
Same for RUNTIME_OUTPUT_NAME, LIBRARY_OUTPUT_NAME, PREFIX and SUFFIX

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, is there a way to get the default library or executable name at configure time (except obsolete LOCATION property)? i.e. lib${target_name}.so in Linux, where target_name is NAME target property? Thanks in advance.

Re: Default library name?

Robert Maynard
That is correct behavior. OUTPUT_NAME is a customization point to
allow projects to change the name, so if it isn't set CMake will use
the NAME property.
On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 12:42 PM Hendrik Greving
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think OUTPUT_NAME is not set by default. I am getting var-NOTFOUND
> Same for RUNTIME_OUTPUT_NAME, LIBRARY_OUTPUT_NAME, PREFIX and SUFFIX
>
> On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 9:26 AM Robert Maynard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> At configure time you query OUTPUT_NAME target property
>> (https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.11/prop_tgt/OUTPUT_NAME.html) and if
>> not set you use NAME (
>> https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.11/prop_tgt/NAME.html )
>> On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 11:48 AM Hendrik Greving
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi, is there a way to get the default library or executable name at configure time (except obsolete LOCATION property)? i.e. lib${target_name}.so in Linux, where target_name is NAME target property? Thanks in advance.
>> > --
>> >
>> > Powered by www.kitware.com
>> >
>> > Please keep messages on-topic and check the CMake FAQ at: http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ
>> >
>> > Kitware offers various services to support the CMake community. For more information on each offering, please visit:
>> >
>> > CMake Support: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/support.html
>> > CMake Consulting: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/consulting.html
>> > CMake Training Courses: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/training.html
>> >
>> > Visit other Kitware open-source projects at http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html

Re: Default library name?

Hendrik Greving
The name property doesn't return the library name for libraries, i.e. on Linux, no lib prefix and .so suffix. Also the PREFIX and SUFFIX (see above) don't appear to be set. Is it possible to retrieve the default library name on a given platform?

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think OUTPUT_NAME is not set by default. I am getting var-NOTFOUND
> Same for RUNTIME_OUTPUT_NAME, LIBRARY_OUTPUT_NAME, PREFIX and SUFFIX
>
> On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 9:26 AM Robert Maynard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> At configure time you query OUTPUT_NAME target property
>> (https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.11/prop_tgt/OUTPUT_NAME.html) and if
>> not set you use NAME (
>> https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.11/prop_tgt/NAME.html )
>> On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 11:48 AM Hendrik Greving
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi, is there a way to get the default library or executable name at configure time (except obsolete LOCATION property)? i.e. lib${target_name}.so in Linux, where target_name is NAME target property? Thanks in advance.
>> > --
>> >
>> > Powered by www.kitware.com
>> >
>> > Please keep messages on-topic and check the CMake FAQ at: http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ
>> >
>> > Kitware offers various services to support the CMake community. For more information on each offering, please visit:
>> >
>> > CMake Support: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/support.html
>> > CMake Consulting: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/consulting.html
>> > CMake Training Courses: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/training.html
>> >
>> > Visit other Kitware open-source projects at http://www.kitware.com/opensource/opensource.html

Re: Default library name?

Robert Maynard
Yes, you can do that.  I don't know if there is an easier way than the
following:

function(get_full_name target full_name)
get_target_property(name ${target} NAME)
get_target_property(suffix ${target} SUFFIX)
get_target_property(prefix ${target} PREFIX)
get_target_property(type ${target} TYPE)

if(NOT prefix)
  set(prefix ${CMAKE_${type}_PREFIX})
endif()

if(NOT suffix)
  set(suffix ${CMAKE_${type}_SUFFIX})
endif()

set(${full_name} "${prefix}${name}${suffix}" PARENT_SCOPE)
endfunction()

You will need to modify it if you want to support custom per config
names. Unless you really needs this information at configuration you
should use the $<TARGET_FILE_NAME:tgt> generator expression as it will
always be correct.
On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 1:04 PM Hendrik Greving
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The name property doesn't return the library name for libraries, i.e. on Linux, no lib prefix and .so suffix. Also the PREFIX and SUFFIX (see above) don't appear to be set. Is it possible to retrieve the default library name on a given platform?
>
> On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 9:57 AM Robert Maynard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> That is correct behavior. OUTPUT_NAME is a customization point to
>> allow projects to change the name, so if it isn't set CMake will use
>> the NAME property.
>> On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 12:42 PM Hendrik Greving
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > I think OUTPUT_NAME is not set by default. I am getting var-NOTFOUND
>> > Same for RUNTIME_OUTPUT_NAME, LIBRARY_OUTPUT_NAME, PREFIX and SUFFIX

Re: Default library name?

Hendrik Greving
I see. We may be able to work with this. Thanks a lot!
generator expressions don't work with LINK_FLAGS (though I heard they will be supported in LINK_OPTIONS in 3.13, which would require us to migrate. But even then, generator expressions don't support and logic around this like file(GNERATE ..) or string(REPLACE ..) that our (cmake-) files use frequently. i.e. we are changing paths to upload on an Android target. Another big issue is that we are using the target name for add_test commands, i.e. in order to compute some library names based on the target name as part of the test command. I can't use file(GENERATE to derive the target name and put the add_test part into a .cmake script because add_test is not scriptable.
Thanks.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The name property doesn't return the library name for libraries, i.e. on Linux, no lib prefix and .so suffix. Also the PREFIX and SUFFIX (see above) don't appear to be set. Is it possible to retrieve the default library name on a given platform?
>
> On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 9:57 AM Robert Maynard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> That is correct behavior. OUTPUT_NAME is a customization point to
>> allow projects to change the name, so if it isn't set CMake will use
>> the NAME property.
>> On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 12:42 PM Hendrik Greving
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > I think OUTPUT_NAME is not set by default. I am getting var-NOTFOUND
>> > Same for RUNTIME_OUTPUT_NAME, LIBRARY_OUTPUT_NAME, PREFIX and SUFFIX

Re: Default library name?

Robert Maynard
The add_test command support generator expressions as part of the
COMMAND component (
https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.11/command/add_test.html). So you
could pass the name of the target as command line parameter.
On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 1:43 PM Hendrik Greving
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I see. We may be able to work with this. Thanks a lot!
> generator expressions don't work with LINK_FLAGS (though I heard they will be supported in LINK_OPTIONS in 3.13, which would require us to migrate. But even then, generator expressions don't support and logic around this like file(GNERATE ..) or string(REPLACE ..) that our (cmake-) files use frequently. i.e. we are changing paths to upload on an Android target. Another big issue is that we are using the target name for add_test commands, i.e. in order to compute some library names based on the target name as part of the test command. I can't use file(GENERATE to derive the target name and put the add_test part into a .cmake script because add_test is not scriptable.
> Thanks.
>
> On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 10:21 AM Robert Maynard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, you can do that.  I don't know if there is an easier way than the
>> following:
>>
>> function(get_full_name target full_name)
>> get_target_property(name ${target} NAME)
>> get_target_property(suffix ${target} SUFFIX)
>> get_target_property(prefix ${target} PREFIX)
>> get_target_property(type ${target} TYPE)
>>
>> if(NOT prefix)
>>   set(prefix ${CMAKE_${type}_PREFIX})
>> endif()
>>
>> if(NOT suffix)
>>   set(suffix ${CMAKE_${type}_SUFFIX})
>> endif()
>>
>> set(${full_name} "${prefix}${name}${suffix}" PARENT_SCOPE)
>> endfunction()
>>
>> You will need to modify it if you want to support custom per config
>> names. Unless you really needs this information at configuration you
>> should use the $<TARGET_FILE_NAME:tgt> generator expression as it will
>> always be correct.
>> On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 1:04 PM Hendrik Greving
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > The name property doesn't return the library name for libraries, i.e. on Linux, no lib prefix and .so suffix. Also the PREFIX and SUFFIX (see above) don't appear to be set. Is it possible to retrieve the default library name on a given platform?

Re: Default library name?

Hendrik Greving
>> So you could pass the name of the target as command line parameter.

We do all sorts of string operations on it. This wouldn't work with the generator expression.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I see. We may be able to work with this. Thanks a lot!
> generator expressions don't work with LINK_FLAGS (though I heard they will be supported in LINK_OPTIONS in 3.13, which would require us to migrate. But even then, generator expressions don't support and logic around this like file(GNERATE ..) or string(REPLACE ..) that our (cmake-) files use frequently. i.e. we are changing paths to upload on an Android target. Another big issue is that we are using the target name for add_test commands, i.e. in order to compute some library names based on the target name as part of the test command. I can't use file(GENERATE to derive the target name and put the add_test part into a .cmake script because add_test is not scriptable.
> Thanks.
>
> On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 10:21 AM Robert Maynard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, you can do that.  I don't know if there is an easier way than the
>> following:
>>
>> function(get_full_name target full_name)
>> get_target_property(name ${target} NAME)
>> get_target_property(suffix ${target} SUFFIX)
>> get_target_property(prefix ${target} PREFIX)
>> get_target_property(type ${target} TYPE)
>>
>> if(NOT prefix)
>>   set(prefix ${CMAKE_${type}_PREFIX})
>> endif()
>>
>> if(NOT suffix)
>>   set(suffix ${CMAKE_${type}_SUFFIX})
>> endif()
>>
>> set(${full_name} "${prefix}${name}${suffix}" PARENT_SCOPE)
>> endfunction()
>>
>> You will need to modify it if you want to support custom per config
>> names. Unless you really needs this information at configuration you
>> should use the $<TARGET_FILE_NAME:tgt> generator expression as it will
>> always be correct.
>> On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 1:04 PM Hendrik Greving
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > The name property doesn't return the library name for libraries, i.e. on Linux, no lib prefix and .so suffix. Also the PREFIX and SUFFIX (see above) don't appear to be set. Is it possible to retrieve the default library name on a given platform?

Re: Default library name?

Alexander Neundorf
On 2018 M11 5, Mon 13:20:32 CET Robert Maynard wrote:
> Yes, you can do that.  I don't know if there is an easier way than the
> following:

you could have a look at the following variables:
CMAKE_STATIC_LIBRARY_PREFIX
CMAKE_STATIC_LIBRARY_SUFFIX
CMAKE_SHARED_LIBRARY_PREFIX
CMAKE_SHARED_LIBRARY_SUFFIX