Debugging find_package() search behavior?

12

Re: [cmake-developers] Debugging find_package() search behavior?

Jean-Michaël Celerier
> The find modules use find_* commands, and those use CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH.

Not always, some people sometimes feel like doing it by hand from scratch with if(EXISTS ...). Sadly.

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 5:49 PM, Brad King <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 08/29/2017 11:33 AM, David Cole wrote:
> That's correct:
>
> find modules do what they want, and most do not pay attention to
> CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH.

CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH *is* used by find modules.

The find modules use find_* commands, and those use CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH.
See the documentation of find_library, find_path, etc. for details.
is based on the kind of command doing the searching.

-Brad

Re: [cmake-developers] Debugging find_package() search behavior?

Alexander Neundorf-3
On 2017 M08 29, Tue 11:33:15 CEST David Cole via cmake-developers wrote:
> That's correct:
>
> find modules do what they want, and most do not pay attention to
> CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH.

are you sure ?
As long as NO_DEFAULT_PATH is not used in the find_*() calls, CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH
is used automatically by them.

Alex

Re: [cmake-developers] Debugging find_package() search behavior?

CMake mailing list
No, I was already promptly corrected by Brad, too. I was not
accounting for the fact that the other find_* calls used inside of
find modules also use CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH. I was thinking of its use to
find a project's config file from the find_package config mode.

I stand corrected. Again. ;-)

However, I stand by my assertion that find modules do what they want.
It's still a bit of a wild wild west, and people make their own find
modules that live inside their own project's source trees.

Config files should be the preferred/primary mechanism for
find_package calls (going on something like 5 or 6 years now...), but
still people write new find modules.

Thanks,
David C.

On 2017 M10 1, Sun 12:38:43 CEST David Cole via CMake wrote:
> No, I was already promptly corrected by Brad, too. I was not
> accounting for the fact that the other find_* calls used inside of
> find modules also use CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH. I was thinking of its use to
> find a project's config file from the find_package config mode.
>
> I stand corrected. Again. ;-)

yeah, sorry, I had problems with receiving mail from the cmake list since
August and was catching up yesterday.... and replied too quickly.

Alex