Concerning ninja -v

David Aldrich-2
I have a simple CMake project with subdirectories:

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.10)
project(MyProject VERSION 1.0.0)

set(CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE ON CACHE BOOL "ON")

add_subdirectory(say-hello)
add_subdirectory(hello-exe)

Will the 'CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE' option be inherited by the CMakeLists.txt files in the subdirectories?

I want to run ninja with the '-v' option for verbosity but the above 'set' command is not achieving this. What do I need to do differently?

(I am running CMake 3.15.4 on WSL - Ubuntu 18.04).

Re: Concerning ninja -v

CMake mailing list
On Mon, 2019-10-21 at 10:23 +0100, David Aldrich wrote:

> I have a simple CMake project with subdirectories:
>
> cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.10)
> project(MyProject VERSION 1.0.0)
>
> set(CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE ON CACHE BOOL "ON")
>
> add_subdirectory(say-hello)
> add_subdirectory(hello-exe)
>
> Will the 'CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE' option be inherited by the
> CMakeLists.txt files in the subdirectories?
>
> I want to run ninja with the '-v' option for verbosity but the above
> 'set' command is not achieving this. What do I need to do
> differently?

Does just invoking ninja with -v not show verbosity? That should do it.
I don't believe CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE affects Ninja builds.

Kyle

Re: Concerning ninja -v

David Aldrich-2
>Does just invoking ninja with -v not show verbosity? That should do it.
> don't believe CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE affects Ninja builds.

>Kyle

Yes thanks, that does do it. I just wondered whether there was a neater way for when CMake is invoked by an IDE such as VS Code with the cmake-tools extension. But it seems that I can specify option '-v' to that tool too.