Cmake gui and cli

Alin M Elena
Hi

cmake-gui is very useful for big projects with many variables to set, but
sometimes command line is very necessary, too. Is there a way to generate the
command line equivalent of the settings from cmake-gui?

regards,

Alin
 "If the Universities will not study useless subjects, who will?"
                             G. F. FitzGerald, Nature, 45/46, 392 (1892)
 Mr  Alin M ELENA
 Irish Centre for High-End Computing -- www.ichec.ie
 The Design Tower, Trinity Technology & Enterprise Campus
 Grand Canal Quay,  Dublin 2, Ireland
 Tel:   +353 (0) 1 5241608 ext 29
 Fax: +353 (0) 1 7645845
 http://alin.elenaworld.net

Re: Cmake gui and cli

Michael Jackson
ccmake - which is a curses based gui from the cli.

Mike Jackson                  [hidden email]
             www.bluequartz.net

On Jul 16, 2009, at 10:41 AM, Alin M Elena wrote:

> Hi
>
> cmake-gui is very useful for big projects with many variables to
> set, but
> sometimes command line is very necessary, too. Is there a way to
> generate the
> command line equivalent of the settings from cmake-gui?
>
> regards,
>
> Alin
> "If the Universities will not study useless subjects, who will?"
>                             G. F. FitzGerald, Nature, 45/46, 392
> (1892)
> Mr  Alin M ELENA
> Irish Centre for High-End Computing -- www.ichec.ie
> The Design Tower, Trinity Technology & Enterprise Campus
> Grand Canal Quay,  Dublin 2, Ireland
> Tel:   +353 (0) 1 5241608 ext 29
> Fax: +353 (0) 1 7645845
> http://alin.elenaworld.net

Re: Cmake gui and cli

David E DeMarle
You also have the option of running:

"cmake -i" which acts like the old linux kernel configuration tools,
interactively questioning you for each option.

or

"cmake -D setting1 -D setting2..."

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
Phone: 518-371-3971 x109

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Michael
Jackson<[hidden email]> wrote:

> ccmake - which is a curses based gui from the cli.

> Mike Jackson                  [hidden email]
>            www.bluequartz.net
>
> On Jul 16, 2009, at 10:41 AM, Alin M Elena wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> cmake-gui is very useful for big projects with many variables to set, but
>> sometimes command line is very necessary, too. Is there a way to generate
>> the
>> command line equivalent of the settings from cmake-gui?
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Alin
>> --
>> "If the Universities will not study useless subjects, who will?"
>>                            G. F. FitzGerald, Nature, 45/46, 392 (1892)
>> Mr  Alin M ELENA
>> Irish Centre for High-End Computing -- www.ichec.ie
>> The Design Tower, Trinity Technology & Enterprise Campus
>> Grand Canal Quay,  Dublin 2, Ireland
>> Tel:   +353 (0) 1 5241608 ext 29
>> Fax: +353 (0) 1 7645845
>> http://alin.elenaworld.net
>> [hidden email]
>> [hidden email]
>> Powered by www.kitware.com

>> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

Re: Cmake gui and cli

Alin M Elena
Hi ,

It seems that I was misunderstood. I want to know if if possible to see the
equivalent cmake line of the Generate button.

On Thursday 16 July 2009 15:59:12 you wrote:

> ccmake - which is a curses based gui from the cli.

> Mike Jackson                  [hidden email]
>              www.bluequartz.net
>
> On Jul 16, 2009, at 10:41 AM, Alin M Elena wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > cmake-gui is very useful for big projects with many variables to
> > set, but
> > sometimes command line is very necessary, too. Is there a way to
> > generate the
> > command line equivalent of the settings from cmake-gui?
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Alin

> > http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

Re: Cmake gui and cli

Bill Hoffman
David E DeMarle wrote:

>> On Jul 16, 2009, at 10:41 AM, Alin M Elena wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> cmake-gui is very useful for big projects with many variables to set, but
>>> sometimes command line is very necessary, too. Is there a way to generate
>>> the
>>> command line equivalent of the settings from cmake-gui?

I think the previous posts are missing the question....   I think what
is wanted is a way to run cmake-gui pick some options, and then generate
a -D command line equivalent to the options that were picked in
cmake-gui.  This is not possible, and would be difficult to implement.

-Bill

Re: Cmake gui and cli

Alin M Elena
> I think the previous posts are missing the question....   I think what
> is wanted is a way to run cmake-gui pick some options, and then generate
> a -D command line equivalent to the options that were picked in
> cmake-gui.  This is not possible, and would be difficult to implement.

Thanks Bill, exactly what I wanted to know.  Why is that difficult?

Alin

Re: Cmake gui and cli

Bill Hoffman
Alin M Elena wrote:
>> I think the previous posts are missing the question....   I think what
>> is wanted is a way to run cmake-gui pick some options, and then generate
>> a -D command line equivalent to the options that were picked in
>> cmake-gui.  This is not possible, and would be difficult to implement.
>
> Thanks Bill, exactly what I wanted to know.  Why is that difficult?

All options in the cache are stored together, some are set from the
cmakelists.txt files and some are set by users.  I suppose camke-gui
could try and track all changes made by the user and collect them up. I
am not sure that the set of options would be portable to a different
machine.

-Bill

Re: Cmake gui and cli

Eric Noulard
2009/7/16 Bill Hoffman <[hidden email]>:

> Alin M Elena wrote:
>>>
>>> I think the previous posts are missing the question....   I think what
>>> is wanted is a way to run cmake-gui pick some options, and then generate
>>> a -D command line equivalent to the options that were picked in
>>> cmake-gui.  This is not possible, and would be difficult to implement.
>>
>> Thanks Bill, exactly what I wanted to know.  Why is that difficult?
>>

> All options in the cache are stored together, some are set from the
> cmakelists.txt files and some are set by users.  I suppose camke-gui could
> try and track all changes made by the user and collect them up. I am not
> sure that the set of options would be portable to a different machine.

I may add some other similar possible issues.

Sometimes as Bill said some options do appear on a specific machine basis
like in
IF (WIN32)
     OPTION(WHATEVER "You know"  FALSE)
ENDIF(WIN32)

of

FIND_PACKAGE(Doxygen)
IF (DOXYGEN_FOUND)
     OPTION(BUILD_DOC "Build documentation using Doxygen" OFF)
ENDIF(DOXYGEN_FOUND)

or even more, one option may trigger another one

OPTION(LEVEL1 "level1" OFF)
IF (LEVEL1)
    OPTION(LEVEL2 "level2" OFF)
ENDIF(LEVEL1)

in this second case the GUI will show you the LEVEL2 option
only if you set LEVEL1 to ON and hit configure.

The CMake gui (QT or curse) have an iterative usage pattern

1) configure
2) select change
3) eventually go to 1
4) generate

The pure command line is usually "one-shot" trying to get the
"preferred" configuration.

Like Bill said a possible way to do it would be to track user-modified values
vs programmatically chosen ones. But you'll have to deal with
user-modified values depending on programmatically chosen path,
not that easy to do.

--
Erk
http://www.april.org

Re: Cmake gui and cli

Alin M Elena
Hi Bill and Eric,

I see your points about the implementation but I think you are thinking to
something different that I have  in my mind.

I am not interested in portability. When I try to compile a big project (eg
paraview) the -gui is a very good tool, due to its incremental support. Then I
go let us say to a production environment where I am command line and I want a
one-go approach.

The programmatic set variables are of no value to me as they will be set the
same in the command line environment. I need a track of all the variables that
I set. The only thing that I want to keep track of are my changes, as they are
the only one that change the flow of the compilation process.

On Thursday 16 July 2009 20:21:02 you wrote:

> >> Thanks Bill, exactly what I wanted to know.  Why is that difficult?
> >
> > All options in the cache are stored together, some are set from the
> > cmakelists.txt files and some are set by users.  I suppose camke-gui
> > could try and track all changes made by the user and collect them up. I
> > am not sure that the set of options would be portable to a different
> > machine.
>
> I may add some other similar possible issues.
>
> Sometimes as Bill said some options do appear on a specific machine basis
> like in
> IF (WIN32)
>      OPTION(WHATEVER "You know"  FALSE)
> ENDIF(WIN32)
>
> of
>
> FIND_PACKAGE(Doxygen)
> IF (DOXYGEN_FOUND)
>      OPTION(BUILD_DOC "Build documentation using Doxygen" OFF)
> ENDIF(DOXYGEN_FOUND)
>
> or even more, one option may trigger another one
>
> OPTION(LEVEL1 "level1" OFF)
> IF (LEVEL1)
>     OPTION(LEVEL2 "level2" OFF)
> ENDIF(LEVEL1)
>
> in this second case the GUI will show you the LEVEL2 option
> only if you set LEVEL1 to ON and hit configure.
>
> The CMake gui (QT or curse) have an iterative usage pattern
>
> 1) configure
> 2) select change
> 3) eventually go to 1
> 4) generate
>
> The pure command line is usually "one-shot" trying to get the
> "preferred" configuration.
>
> Like Bill said a possible way to do it would be to track user-modified
> values vs programmatically chosen ones. But you'll have to deal with
> user-modified values depending on programmatically chosen path,
> not that easy to do.

Re: Cmake gui and cli

David E DeMarle
I think you can write a starter cmakecache in an empty build directory
consisting of just the non-default options you want and and then run
cmake on that. It will fill in the rest of what it needs if you've
provided a consistent set that doesn't need to ask you anything.

That is what dashboards do.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662
Phone: 518-371-3971 x109

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 4:12 AM, Alin M Elena<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> ENDIF(DOXYGEN_FOUND)
>>
>> or even more, one option may trigger another one
>>
>> OPTION(LEVEL1 "level1" OFF)
>> IF (LEVEL1)
>>     OPTION(LEVEL2 "level2" OFF)
>> ENDIF(LEVEL1)
>>
>> in this second case the GUI will show you the LEVEL2 option
>> only if you set LEVEL1 to ON and hit configure.
>>
>> The CMake gui (QT or curse) have an iterative usage pattern
>>
>> 1) configure
>> 2) select change
>> 3) eventually go to 1
>> 4) generate
>>
>> The pure command line is usually "one-shot" trying to get the
>> "preferred" configuration.
>>
>> Like Bill said a possible way to do it would be to track user-modified
>> values vs programmatically chosen ones. But you'll have to deal with
>> user-modified values depending on programmatically chosen path,

Re: Cmake gui and cli

James Bigler
This is similar to a thread a while back:

http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2009-April/028419.html

I suggested comparing the CMakeCache.txt files before and after a configure to get a list of relevant configuration changes and adding them to the command line.

James