Changing the actual "src" directory where VS project and/or sln files are rooted

Changing the actual "src" directory where VS project and/or sln files are rooted

Michael Powell
Hello,

Sorry if this seems like a rookie/novice question. I'm not new to
CI/CD, however; this question may have been asked before, I don't
know.

I'll preface with a little background. It's been a little while for me
using and truly "grokking" CMake, but if memory serves, CMake lifts
raw source inputs and drops them into what becomes a meta-description
for what is ultimately being built. That could overlay the source
directories, but may not. That's if memory serves.

Now, I am trying to configure and generated CMake targeting the Visual
Studio 2015 environment.

My repository is organized something like:

$/CMakeLists.txt
$/src
$/src/CMakeLists.txt
$/src/... (for things like tests, etc)

And so on.

Solution files are landing in the $/ directory, but I want them to
land in the $/src directory as is customary for Visual Studio
solutions.

First, as far as I know, the OA (original author) is dropping
CMake-driven output in the same context as the source files. Maybe
that's good and/or acceptable, maybe not, considering the
meta-descriptive nature of CMake.

So the first question is how to cause CMake to respect the $/src
objective. Otherwise, perhaps I simply have CMake generate the
penultimate build structure.

Close behind those questions is how to avoid outputs like ALL_BUILD
and ZERO_CHECK. Those are not necessary, or perhaps are don't care,
especially if output can land in $/src as envisioned.

Thank you!

Regards,

Michael Powell

Re: Changing the actual "src" directory where VS project and/or sln files are rooted

J Decker

On Sat, Sep 16, 2017 at 2:25 PM, Michael Powell <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Then you're doing an in-source build which is not really the proper thing... they should land in something like $/build or $/../build even.  and then it wouldn't matter where they were.

On Sat, Sep 16, 2017 at 5:44 PM, J Decker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 16, 2017 at 2:25 PM, Michael Powell <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Sorry if this seems like a rookie/novice question. I'm not new to
>> CI/CD, however; this question may have been asked before, I don't
>> know.
>>
>> I'll preface with a little background. It's been a little while for me
>> using and truly "grokking" CMake, but if memory serves, CMake lifts
>> raw source inputs and drops them into what becomes a meta-description
>> for what is ultimately being built. That could overlay the source
>> directories, but may not. That's if memory serves.
>>
>> Now, I am trying to configure and generated CMake targeting the Visual
>> Studio 2015 environment.
>>
>> My repository is organized something like:
>>
>> $/CMakeLists.txt
>> $/src
>> $/src/CMakeLists.txt
>> $/src/... (for things like tests, etc)
>>
>> And so on.
>>
>> Solution files are landing in the $/ directory, but I want them to
>> land in the $/src directory as is customary for Visual Studio
>> solutions.
>
> Then you're doing an in-source build which is not really the proper thing...
> they should land in something like $/build or $/../build even.  and then it
> wouldn't matter where they were.

Ah, indeed, "in-source", thank you. The vocab escaped me. Yes, that
seemed odd to me as well, if my recollection served (which apparently
it does). Thanks for the clarification.