Centos8 FindICU problems

Kent Williams-2
This is a development system we're just standing up using Centos 8.

Linux build8.leepfrog.com 4.18.0-80.7.1.el8_0.x86_64 #1 SMP Sat Aug 3
15:14:00 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
cmake version 3.11.4
gcc version 8.2.1 20180905 (Red Hat 8.2.1-3) (GCC)

Installed Packages
harfbuzz-icu.x86_64 1.7.5-3.el8                       @AppStream
icu.x86_64 60.2-7.el8                        @BaseOS
libicu.x86_64 60.2-7.el8                        @BaseOS
libicu-devel.x86_64 60.2-7.el8                        @BaseOS

Using the stock CMake FindICU.cmake
And this test CMakeLists.txt:
cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8)
project(testICU)
find_package(ICU REQUIRED)

It reports failure to find ICU, and I can't work out what I'm supposed
to do:

     CMake Error at
/usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:137 (message):
       Failed to find all ICU components (missing: ICU_LIBRARY) (found
version
       "60.2")
     Call Stack (most recent call first):
/usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:378
(_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
       /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindICU.cmake:317
(FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS)
       CMakeLists.txt:3 (find_package)

     See also "/home/kwilliams/develop/junk/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".

Any suggestions?

Re: Centos8 FindICU problems

Roger Leigh
On 22/10/2019 21:51, Kent Williams wrote:

> find_package(ICU REQUIRED)
>
> It reports failure to find ICU, and I can't work out what I'm supposed
> to do:
>
>     CMake Error at
> /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:137
> (message):
>       Failed to find all ICU components (missing: ICU_LIBRARY) (found
> version
>       "60.2")
>     Call Stack (most recent call first):
> /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:378
> (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
>       /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindICU.cmake:317
> (FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS)
>       CMakeLists.txt:3 (find_package)
> Any suggestions?

Hi Kent,

You need to specify the ICU libraries you want to link with as
COMPONENTS.  E.g.

find_package(ICU REQUIRED COMPONENTS data i18n io tu)

If you don't specify any components, then it won't find any libraries at
all and that will cause the check to fail which caused the above error.

Regards,

Roger

Re: Centos8 FindICU problems

Kent Williams-2
That works for me, but is this a documented thing anywhere?

On 23/10/2019 14:43, Kent Williams wrote:

> That works for me, but is this a documented thing anywhere?
>
> On 10/22/19 4:22 PM, Roger Leigh wrote:
>> On 22/10/2019 21:51, Kent Williams wrote:
>>
>>> find_package(ICU REQUIRED)
>>>
>>> It reports failure to find ICU, and I can't work out what I'm
>>> supposed to do:
>>>
>>>     CMake Error at
>>> /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:137
>>> (message):
>>>       Failed to find all ICU components (missing: ICU_LIBRARY)
>>> (found version
>>>       "60.2")
>>>     Call Stack (most recent call first):
>>> /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:378
>>> (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
>>>       /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindICU.cmake:317
>>> (FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS)
>>>       CMakeLists.txt:3 (find_package)
>>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Hi Kent,
>>

>> You need to specify the ICU libraries you want to link with as
>> COMPONENTS.  E.g.
>>
>> find_package(ICU REQUIRED COMPONENTS data i18n io tu)
>>
>> If you don't specify any components, then it won't find any libraries
>> at all and that will cause the check to fail which caused the above
>> error.
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Roger

Hi Kent,

The components are all listed in the documentation:
https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.16/module/FindICU.html

It doesn't directly say that you have to have at least one component,
but since ICU is a collection of libraries it's implied that you need to
specify the libraries you want. Not specifying any doesn't make sense
since it's going to find nothing, and that's why it fails.

Regards,

Roger