Quantcast

Can we control component package name in 2.8.8?

hce

Can we control component package name in 2.8.8?

hce
Hi,

I've read some discussions posted ten months ago on http://cmake.3232098.n2.nabble.com/Component-Package-Name-td6976896.html where Eric Noulard pointed out that we could not control component package name for the reason of unique package name. I am currently running on 2.8.8 and generated very funny component package name:

 foo-1.1-1.0.el6.x86_64-FooComponent.rpm, it basically set by following format:

${CPACK_PACKAGE_NAME}-${CPACK_PACKAGE_VERSION}-${CPACK_SYSTEM_NAME}-${COMPONENT_NAME}.rpm

That is not a good format of rpm package name. Can we take control the component package name in 2.8.8?

BTW, when I build two packages foo-1.1 and , the bin-1.2, the CPack generates an extra Unspecified package, theCPackConfig.cmake set:

SET(CPACK_COMPONENTS_ALL "foo-1.1-1.0.el6.x86_64;bin-1.2-1.el6.x86_6;Unspecified")

Where the Unspecified come from and now can I fix it?

Thank you.

Jupiter

Re: Can we control component package name in 2.8.8?

m.hergarden
The unspecified may come from an Install statement that does not have a
component specified.

Micha

On 06/27/2012 01:44 PM, hce wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've read some discussions posted ten months ago on
> http://cmake.3232098.n2.nabble.com/Component-Package-Name-td6976896.html
> where Eric Noulard pointed out that we could not control component package
> name for the reason of unique package name. I am currently running on 2.8.8
> and generated very funny component package name:
>
>   foo-1.1-1.0.el6.x86_64-FooComponent.rpm, it basically set by following
> format:
>
> ${CPACK_PACKAGE_NAME}-${CPACK_PACKAGE_VERSION}-${CPACK_SYSTEM_NAME}-${COMPONENT_NAME}.rpm
>
> That is not a good format of rpm package name. Can we take control the
> component package name in 2.8.8?
>
> BTW, when I build two packages foo-1.1 and , the bin-1.2, the CPack
> generates an extra Unspecified package, theCPackConfig.cmake set:
>
> SET(CPACK_COMPONENTS_ALL
> "foo-1.1-1.0.el6.x86_64;bin-1.2-1.el6.x86_6;Unspecified")
>
> Where the Unspecified come from and now can I fix it?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Jupiter

Re: Can we control component package name in 2.8.8?

Eric Noulard
2012/6/27 hce <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I've read some discussions posted ten months ago on
> http://cmake.3232098.n2.nabble.com/Component-Package-Name-td6976896.html
> where Eric Noulard pointed out that we could not control component package
> name for the reason of unique package name. I am currently running on 2.8.8
> and generated very funny component package name:
>
>  foo-1.1-1.0.el6.x86_64-FooComponent.rpm, it basically set by following
> format:
>
> ${CPACK_PACKAGE_NAME}-${CPACK_PACKAGE_VERSION}-${CPACK_SYSTEM_NAME}-${COMPONENT_NAME}.rpm
>
> That is not a good format of rpm package name. Can we take control the
> component package name in 2.8.8?

Not yet see:

Won't probably be in 2.8.9 either.
I know it will be useful for many of us, I just lack time to go through it.
The work is not that difficult but it has many potential impact so that
we shall take time to do it carefully.

> BTW, when I build two packages foo-1.1 and , the bin-1.2, the CPack
> generates an extra Unspecified package, theCPackConfig.cmake set:
>
> SET(CPACK_COMPONENTS_ALL
> "foo-1.1-1.0.el6.x86_64;bin-1.2-1.el6.x86_6;Unspecified")
>
> Where the Unspecified come from and now can I fix it?

As Micha said, this comes from an INSTALL statement which
does not contains COMPONENT.
see
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/CMake:Component_Install_With_CPack#Specificying_components_and_groups

or this recent discussion:
http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2012-June/050855.html

--
Erk
http://www.le-message.org

hce

Re: Can we control component package name in 2.8.8?

hce
Thanks Eric and Micha for the clarification.

Jupiter

hce

Re: Can we control component package name in 2.8.8?

hce
m.hergarden wrote
The unspecified may come from an Install statement that does not have a
component specified.

Micha
I actually double checked, there are only two install statements which all have component specified.  Could it be the bug?

Thank you.

Jupiter

2012/6/28 hce <[hidden email]>:

> m.hergarden wrote
>>
>> The unspecified may come from an Install statement that does not have a
>> component specified.
>>
>> Micha
>>

> I actually double checked, there are only two install statements which all
> have component specified.  Could it be the bug?

Yes it could but did you start over from a pristine build tree?

Could you try:
$ find . -name "cmake_install.cmake"  -exec grep -Hn "Unspecified" {}
\;vi ./Source/kwsys/cmake_install.cmake

and see if any "cmake_install.cmake" file is containing teh handling
of "Unspecified" ?

Whatever the result you can always specify the CPACK_COMPONENTS_ALL
yourself in the CMakeListst.txt (before including CPack)  and not let
CPack set it on his own:

So you can:
set(CPACK_COMPONENTS_ALL yourcomp1 yourcomp2)
include(CPack)

and CPack (when used in component mode) will only install the
specified components

--
Erk
http://www.le-message.org

hce

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 9:05 PM, Eric Noulard <[hidden email]> wrote:
2012/6/28 hce <[hidden email]>:

> m.hergarden wrote
>>
>> The unspecified may come from an Install statement that does not have a
>> component specified.
>>
>> Micha
>>

> I actually double checked, there are only two install statements which all
> have component specified.  Could it be the bug?

Yes it could but did you start over from a pristine build tree?

Could you try:
$ find . -name "cmake_install.cmake"  -exec grep -Hn "Unspecified" {}
\;vi ./Source/kwsys/cmake_install.cmake

and see if any "cmake_install.cmake" file is containing teh handling
of "Unspecified" ?

Whatever the result you can always specify the CPACK_COMPONENTS_ALL
yourself in the CMakeListst.txt (before including CPack)  and not let
CPack set it on his own:

So you can:
set(CPACK_COMPONENTS_ALL yourcomp1 yourcomp2)
include(CPack)

Thanks Eric, that did the trick.

hce

Re: Can we control component package name in 2.8.8?

hce
Hi Eric,

>> That is not a good format of rpm package name. Can we take control the
>> component package name in 2.8.8?

> Not yet see:

> Won't probably be in 2.8.9 either.
> I know it will be useful for many of us, I just lack time to go through it.
> The work is not that difficult but it has many potential impact so that
> we shall take time to do it carefully.

Has the issue been resolved in 2.8.10?

Thank you.

Kind regards.

Jupiter

Eric Noulard wrote

2013/3/3 hce <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Eric,
>
>>> That is not a good format of rpm package name. Can we take control the
>>> component package name in 2.8.8?
>
>> Not yet see:
>> http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=12997
>
>> Won't probably be in 2.8.9 either.
>> I know it will be useful for many of us, I just lack time to go through
>> it.
>> The work is not that difficult but it has many potential impact so that
>> we shall take time to do it carefully.
>
> Has the issue been resolved in 2.8.10?

Nope.
And I have very little hope for 2.8.11 either since I have not free
time windows  visibility
to work on that for myself now...

Sorry.
--
Erk
http://www.le-message.org

hce

Re: Can we control component package name in 2.8.8?

hce
Eric Noulard wrote
> Has the issue been resolved in 2.8.10?

Nope.
And I have very little hope for 2.8.11 either since I have not free
time windows  visibility
to work on that for myself now...

Sorry.
--
Erk
http://www.le-message.org
Thanks Eric for the update. Currently I can only run command line to select the module one by one in a build directory:

$ rm -rf *
$ cmake ../Source
$ ccmake . (select one module, press c and press q)
$ make
$ cpack -G RPM

An alternative way is to run it as a loop to clean the cache, compile and package each module in a bash script and to run ccmake without interactive select module, press c and press q, but I have no idea how to do it in the Linux command line and bash script. Has anyone tried? Or is there other alternative to workaround? Appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

Kind regards.