CXX_CLANG_TIDY doesn't handle multiple arguments correctly

CXX_CLANG_TIDY doesn't handle multiple arguments correctly

Nikita
Hi,

I've noticed that CXX_CLANG_TIDY property doesn't work correctly if I
specify several arguments to clang-tidy. Here's an example:
set_property(
    TARGET ${PROJECT_NAME}
    PROPERTY CXX_CLANG_TIDY clang-tidy;-checks=*;-warnings-as-errors=*)

Building a target with this property produces no output. It seems like
clang-tidy doesn't get called. However, if I remove
'-warnings-as-errors', everything works fine.

The same goes for other options as well. Specifying '-header-filter'
or '-line-filter' results in no output.

Is there a way to get additional clang-tidy options working?

Regards,
Nikita

Re: CXX_CLANG_TIDY doesn't handle multiple arguments correctly

Tiago Macarios
This works for me:

    CXX_CLANG_TIDY
        "/usr/bin/clang-tidy"
        "-checks=modernize-*,readability-*,performance-*"
        "-fix"

I think the difference are the semicolons in the checks instead of commas.

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Nikita <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I've noticed that CXX_CLANG_TIDY property doesn't work correctly if I
specify several arguments to clang-tidy. Here's an example:
set_property(
    TARGET ${PROJECT_NAME}
    PROPERTY CXX_CLANG_TIDY clang-tidy;-checks=*;-warnings-as-errors=*)

Building a target with this property produces no output. It seems like
clang-tidy doesn't get called. However, if I remove
'-warnings-as-errors', everything works fine.

The same goes for other options as well. Specifying '-header-filter'
or '-line-filter' results in no output.

Is there a way to get additional clang-tidy options working?

Regards,
Nikita

Re: CXX_CLANG_TIDY doesn't handle multiple arguments correctly

Nikita
It works for me with '-fix' as well. However, it doesn't work with
"-warnings-as-errors", '-header-filter', and '-line-filter'.
The problem is definitely not in semicolons.

Regards,
Nikita

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 12:35 AM, Tiago Macarios
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> This works for me:
>
>     CXX_CLANG_TIDY
>         "/usr/bin/clang-tidy"
>         "-checks=modernize-*,readability-*,performance-*"
>         "-fix"
>
> I think the difference are the semicolons in the checks instead of commas.
>
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Nikita <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've noticed that CXX_CLANG_TIDY property doesn't work correctly if I
>> specify several arguments to clang-tidy. Here's an example:
>> set_property(
>>     TARGET ${PROJECT_NAME}
>>     PROPERTY CXX_CLANG_TIDY clang-tidy;-checks=*;-warnings-as-errors=*)
>>
>> Building a target with this property produces no output. It seems like
>> clang-tidy doesn't get called. However, if I remove
>> '-warnings-as-errors', everything works fine.
>>
>> The same goes for other options as well. Specifying '-header-filter'
>> or '-line-filter' results in no output.
>>
>> Is there a way to get additional clang-tidy options working?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Nikita
>> --
>>
>> Powered by www.kitware.com

>> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

Re: CXX_CLANG_TIDY doesn't handle multiple arguments correctly

Bill Hoffman
On 11/16/2016 5:01 PM, Nikita wrote:
> It works for me with '-fix' as well. However, it doesn't work with
> "-warnings-as-errors", '-header-filter', and '-line-filter'.
> The problem is definitely not in semicolons.
It is the * that causes trouble.

-Bill

Re: CXX_CLANG_TIDY doesn't handle multiple arguments correctly

Nikita
Indeed, specifying '-line-filter=[]' doesn't cause any troubles.
Should I file a bug about this?

Regards,
Nikita

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 1:18 AM, Bill Hoffman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/16/2016 5:01 PM, Nikita wrote:
>>
>> It works for me with '-fix' as well. However, it doesn't work with
>> "-warnings-as-errors", '-header-filter', and '-line-filter'.
>> The problem is definitely not in semicolons.
>
> It is the * that causes trouble.
>
> -Bill

> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

Re: CXX_CLANG_TIDY doesn't handle multiple arguments correctly

Michael Ellery

> On Nov 16, 2016, at 2:32 PM, Nikita <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Indeed, specifying '-line-filter=[]' doesn't cause any troubles.
> Should I file a bug about this?
>
> Regards,
> Nikita

FWIW, I brought up the same issue a few weeks ago:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40433573/how-can-i-specify-additional-arguments-for-use-with-cmake-cxx-clang-tidy-variabl

http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/cmake/2016-November/064501.html

I think this is a bug, but wasn’t sure how to classify it.

-Mike

Re: CXX_CLANG_TIDY doesn't handle multiple arguments correctly

Nikita
Thanks for the info. I've filed a bug about this issue -
https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/issues/16435

Regards,
Nikita