CTest ignoring custom set variables

Martin Apel
Hi all,

I tried to set some CTest custom variables such as
CTEST_CUSTOM_MAXIMUM_FAILED_TEST_OUTPUT_SIZE in the CTestCustom.cmake
file in the binary directory.
This works as long as I run ctest interactively, e.g. "ctest -D
Experimental". In this case, the test output is not cut off. If I do the
same using a CTest script, it seems the CTestCustom.cmake file
is completely ignored, so the test output is cut off at the default
value of 1024 characters.
 Is this intended behaviour or is it a bug? It seems to work, if I enter
the variable settings into the script file, but that's not the way its
documented to work.

Regards,

Martin

Re: CTest ignoring custom set variables

David Cole
On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 3:58 AM, Martin Apel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I tried to set some CTest custom variables such as
CTEST_CUSTOM_MAXIMUM_FAILED_TEST_OUTPUT_SIZE in the CTestCustom.cmake
file in the binary directory.
This works as long as I run ctest interactively, e.g. "ctest -D
Experimental". In this case, the test output is not cut off. If I do the
same using a CTest script, it seems the CTestCustom.cmake file
is completely ignored, so the test output is cut off at the default
value of 1024 characters.
 Is this intended behaviour or is it a bug?

Probably a little bit of each...

Try putting a call to:
CTEST_READ_CUSTOM_FILES("${CTEST_BINARY_DIRECTORY}")

after ctest_configure and before ctest_build...

One could certainly make the argument that this should be entirely invisible and automatic and buried inside the ctest_configure call. In that sense, it's a bug.

I know the author of the ctest_read_custom_files command intended things to be this way, but I still do not understand why... Perhaps if nobody can explain why it should be left this way, it would make sense to try to make this implied/automatic at the end of a ctest_configure command....

HTH,
David

David Cole wrote:
[...]

Hi David,