CMake Server Mode and USE_FOLDERS

Michael Jackson
I was just exploring in a command line the CMake Server mode in 3.8 (I
have not tried 3.9 yet) just to see what gets output and I was wondering
if CMake-Server mode supports "set_property(GLOBAL PROPERTY USE_FOLDERS
ON)" for any generator? I was specifically using the "ninja" generator
for my experiments. I suspect not since Ninja itself does not have the
concept of this but I though I would inquire.

If IDE's that are now relying on CMake-server had this information it
would allow the IDE to present the project in such a way that the
developers intended or laid out. I know we put a lot of time into our
CMake files so that the Visual Studio and Xcode projects are reasonably
organized when you open them instead of just listing 250 targets.

Thanks for any insights.

Mike Jackson

Re: CMake Server Mode and USE_FOLDERS

CMake mailing list

I can only speak about VS, which currently neither with the VS nor the Ninja generator use the FOLDERS property to lay out the targets inside the Solution Explorer. Instead, it maintains the folder structure of the CMake project. This was an intentional design decision from their part (at least for the time being), due to CMake folks primarily being used to the command line, thus they think in therms of the folder structure, not the logical layout of the CMake scripts.

There is a tendency though of hooking all CMake notions into the IDE, such as CTests show up Test Explorer. Reach out to the VS CMake team and let them know that there is such need, perhaps controlled through a switch.

Re: CMake Server Mode and USE_FOLDERS

Florent Castelli
From what I've read from the VS CMake team at Microsoft in various blog posts and online discussions, they plan to have actual targets someday in VS instead of the "Open folder" structure they currently have with their integration. So right now, that information wouldn't be of any use for them since they don't even have a flat list of projects.
It just takes time! Seeing from the progress they've made, I'm sure it will eventually come to the product.

/Florent

On 04/07/2017 12:43, Nagy-Egri Máté Ferenc via CMake wrote:

I can only speak about VS, which currently neither with the VS nor the Ninja generator use the FOLDERS property to lay out the targets inside the Solution Explorer. Instead, it maintains the folder structure of the CMake project. This was an intentional design decision from their part (at least for the time being), due to CMake folks primarily being used to the command line, thus they think in therms of the folder structure, not the logical layout of the CMake scripts.

There is a tendency though of hooking all CMake notions into the IDE, such as CTests show up Test Explorer. Reach out to the VS CMake team and let them know that there is such need, perhaps controlled through a switch.

Re: CMake Server Mode and USE_FOLDERS

Michael Jackson
Actually, my comments were spurred on from a discussion on the QtCreator
list. I am *very* happy with the layout inside of VS2015 that we have
been able to generate based on the USE_FOLDERS property. QtCreator tends
to use the Ninja generator to generate the actual build system.
QtCreator just calls "cmake --build . ...." when it needs to build your
project. And since they use the "Ninja" generator (which I think is user
settable) and Ninja does not support the USE_FOLDERS notion, that
USE_FOLDERS would need to be implemented in the Ninja generator so that
CMAKE-Server mode would pass that information? I don't know how
separated the Cmake-server code model is from the actual generator.

--
Mike Jackson