Quantcast

CMake 3.7.1 gui fails to launch

daryl
I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 and I'm trying to get the current version of
CMake to run.  (The apt-get version is 2.8).

I installed Qt4 (version 4.8.6) with

   $ sudo apt-get install libqt4-core libqt4-dev libqt4-gui qt4-dev-tools

I installed cmake

   $ ./bootstrap & make & sudo make install

all seemed to run without issue.  Running "cmake-gui --version"
reported version 3.7.1, but running "cmake-gui" failed:

=========
daryl@eve-ldb:~/cmake/cmake-3.7.1$ cmake-gui --version
cmake version 3.7.1

CMake suite maintained and supported by Kitware (kitware.com/cmake).
daryl@eve-ldb:~/cmake/cmake-3.7.1$ cmake-gui
cmake-gui: symbol lookup error: cmake-gui: undefined symbol:
_ZN9QListData11detach_growEPii
==========

That looks like a Qt linkage error.  Any suggestions on resolving this?

Re: CMake 3.7.1 gui fails to launch

CMake mailing list
Can you use Qt5? CMake 3.7 is typically built using Qt5: perhaps a Qt5
**requirement** has crept in since it's the commonly used one now.

HTH,
David C.

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 10:41 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 and I'm trying to get the current version of CMake
> to run.  (The apt-get version is 2.8).
>
> I installed Qt4 (version 4.8.6) with
>
>   $ sudo apt-get install libqt4-core libqt4-dev libqt4-gui qt4-dev-tools
>
> I installed cmake
>
>   $ ./bootstrap & make & sudo make install
>
> all seemed to run without issue.  Running "cmake-gui --version" reported
> version 3.7.1, but running "cmake-gui" failed:
>
> =========
> daryl@eve-ldb:~/cmake/cmake-3.7.1$ cmake-gui --version
> cmake version 3.7.1
>
> CMake suite maintained and supported by Kitware (kitware.com/cmake).
> daryl@eve-ldb:~/cmake/cmake-3.7.1$ cmake-gui
> cmake-gui: symbol lookup error: cmake-gui: undefined symbol:
> _ZN9QListData11detach_growEPii
> ==========
>
> That looks like a Qt linkage error.  Any suggestions on resolving this?

> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

Re: CMake 3.7.1 gui fails to launch

Konstantin Podsvirov
Hm...

18:52, 6 january 2017 г., David Cole via CMake <[hidden email]>:

Can you use Qt5? CMake 3.7 is typically built using Qt5: perhaps a Qt5
**requirement** has crept in since it's the commonly used one now.

It's work for me with RedHat and Qt 4.8.6.
No problem cmake-gui work.

[...]

Отправлено из мобильной Яндекс.Почты: http://m.ya.ru/ymail

Re: CMake 3.7.1 gui fails to launch

Andreas Pakulat-2

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 4:41 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> CMake suite maintained and supported by Kitware (kitware.com/cmake).
> daryl@eve-ldb:~/cmake/cmake-3.7.1$ cmake-gui
> cmake-gui: symbol lookup error: cmake-gui: undefined symbol:
> _ZN9QListData11detach_growEPii
> ==========
>
> That looks like a Qt linkage error.  Any suggestions on resolving this?

Right, in particular it means that cmake-gui uses that symbol but none
of the libraries loaded into the executable have it. I'd start with
checking what ldd says is being loaded for your cmake-gui executable.
Maybe there's another Qt installation in LD_LIBRARY_PATH that is being
used for running cmake-gui even though its been built against the Qt
in /usr/. The other common cause could be the inverse of that, its
trying to run against your system Qt but the build process has picked
up a Qt from elsewhere compiled with different flags that change the
symbols name.

Andreas

Re: CMake 3.7.1 gui fails to launch

daryl
As it turns out, no, I can't use Qt5.  In fact, I'd love to hear from
anyone who actually has.  I find this in Modules/FindQt.make:

===========================
if (Qt_FIND_VERSION)
   if (Qt_FIND_VERSION MATCHES "^([34])(\\.[0-9]+.*)?$")
     set(DESIRED_QT_VERSION ${CMAKE_MATCH_1})
   else ()
     message(FATAL_ERROR "FindQt was called with invalid version
'${Qt_FIND_VERSION}'. Only Qt major versions 3 or 4 are supported. If
you do not need to support both Qt3 and Qt4 in your source consider
calling find_package(Qt3) or find_package(Qt4) instead of
find_package(Qt) instead.")
   endif ()
endif ()
===========================

So I re-installed Qt4, rebuilt CMake (./bootstrap --qt-gui, make, sudo
make install) and still got the same runtime failure.

Quoting David Cole <[hidden email]>:

> Can you use Qt5? CMake 3.7 is typically built using Qt5: perhaps a Qt5
> **requirement** has crept in since it's the commonly used one now.
>

> HTH,
> David C.
>

> On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 10:41 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 and I'm trying to get the current version of CMake
>> to run.  (The apt-get version is 2.8).
>>
>> I installed Qt4 (version 4.8.6) with
>>
>>   $ sudo apt-get install libqt4-core libqt4-dev libqt4-gui qt4-dev-tools
>>
>> I installed cmake
>>
>>   $ ./bootstrap & make & sudo make install
>>
>> all seemed to run without issue.  Running "cmake-gui --version" reported
>> version 3.7.1, but running "cmake-gui" failed:
>>
>> =========
>> daryl@eve-ldb:~/cmake/cmake-3.7.1$ cmake-gui --version
>> cmake version 3.7.1
>>
>> CMake suite maintained and supported by Kitware (kitware.com/cmake).
>> daryl@eve-ldb:~/cmake/cmake-3.7.1$ cmake-gui
>> cmake-gui: symbol lookup error: cmake-gui: undefined symbol:
>> _ZN9QListData11detach_growEPii
>> ==========
>>
>> That looks like a Qt linkage error.  Any suggestions on resolving this?
>> --
>>
>> Powered by www.kitware.com

>> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

Re: CMake 3.7.1 gui fails to launch

Alan W. Irwin
On 2017-01-06 12:41-0500 [hidden email] wrote:

> As it turns out, no, I can't use Qt5.  In fact, I'd love to hear from anyone
> who actually has.

My "ldd -r" results for cmake-gui show my recent bootstrap builds (of
cmake-3.7.0) have been built with Qt5 without linking issues.  I
didn't do anything special for Qt5 other than to install its
development packages (for Debian Jessie in my case).  So I think if
you did the same, it would just work.  That said, ~6 months or so ago,
I didn't have Qt5 installed on my system so my cmake-gui builds back
then were done (without issues) using Qt4.

Also, I have used the combination of cmake and Qt5 in other contexts.  The
issue that is likely confusing you (since it confused me at first
encounter as well) is Qt5 cmake support is provided directly by Qt5
(see <http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/cmake-manual.html> which is provided by
Qt5 developers and not cmake developers).

So, for example, the PLplot build system uses either Qt4 (based on
CMake support provided by CMake) or Qt5 (based on CMake support provided
by Qt5) and my recent (6 months ago and now) experience with CMake
builds is they also work fine for either Qt4 or Qt5.

So like others here have commented, I suspect you have some Qt4
installation issue (e.g., a mixture of private and system versions)
that is causing your present difficulties.

Alan
__________________________
Alan W. Irwin

__________________________

Linux-powered Science
__________________________

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 6:41 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As it turns out, no, I can't use Qt5.  In fact, I'd love to hear from anyone
> who actually has.  I find this in Modules/FindQt.make:

That module is specifically only for applications wanting to support
Qt3 and Qt4 at the same time.

> ===========================
> if (Qt_FIND_VERSION)
>   if (Qt_FIND_VERSION MATCHES "^([34])(\\.[0-9]+.*)?$")
>     set(DESIRED_QT_VERSION ${CMAKE_MATCH_1})
>   else ()
>     message(FATAL_ERROR "FindQt was called with invalid version
> '${Qt_FIND_VERSION}'. Only Qt major versions 3 or 4 are supported. If you do
> not need to support both Qt3 and Qt4 in your source consider calling
> find_package(Qt3) or find_package(Qt4) instead of find_package(Qt)
> instead.")
>   endif ()
> endif ()
> ===========================
>
> So I re-installed Qt4, rebuilt CMake (./bootstrap --qt-gui, make, sudo make
> install) and still got the same runtime failure.

Well, Qt5 isn't found through a find-module but rather through the
module-mode (or whatever it was called). Qt5 ships with cmake-specific
files that allow cmake to find it as long as its installed in a common
prefix (like /usr) or the installation directory is specified via
CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH. I suspect if you look at the CMakeLists.txt file
you'll see some logic to lookup Qt5 with something like
find_package(Qt5 MODULES QtCore QtGui QtWidgets) and a fallback for
finding with FindQt4 like find_package(Qt4 MODULES QtCore QtGui
QtWidgets). I don't think you'll find usage of the FindQt module in
the cmake sources as the code likely won't build with Qt3.

Andreas

Re: CMake 3.7.1 gui fails to launch

daryl
And the answer is...

I recently installed an IDE from a not-to-be-named company that I do a
lot of business with.  The installation of that software places their
installation directory in LD_LIBRARY_PATH and guess what? their
installation contains a copy of libQtGui.so and libQtCore.so.  The
"ldd" tip led me to that discovery.  For now I have put
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu in front of their path in LD_LIBRARY_PATH
and cmake-gui V3.7.1 is working.  I may have to come up with a more
permanent fix, but for now their stuff seems to work and CMake seems
to work, so I'm claiming victory.

All I can think of now is how often when I was a kid my dad complained
about how stubborn I was.  Who knew that would be an asset when I grew
up?

Thanks again for the help.

Quoting "Alan W. Irwin" <[hidden email]>:

> On 2017-01-06 12:41-0500 [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> As it turns out, no, I can't use Qt5.  In fact, I'd love to hear
>> from anyone who actually has.
>
> My "ldd -r" results for cmake-gui show my recent bootstrap builds (of
> cmake-3.7.0) have been built with Qt5 without linking issues.  I
> didn't do anything special for Qt5 other than to install its
> development packages (for Debian Jessie in my case).  So I think if
> you did the same, it would just work.  That said, ~6 months or so ago,
> I didn't have Qt5 installed on my system so my cmake-gui builds back
> then were done (without issues) using Qt4.
>
> Also, I have used the combination of cmake and Qt5 in other contexts.  The
> issue that is likely confusing you (since it confused me at first
> encounter as well) is Qt5 cmake support is provided directly by Qt5
> (see <http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/cmake-manual.html> which is provided by
> Qt5 developers and not cmake developers).
>
> So, for example, the PLplot build system uses either Qt4 (based on
> CMake support provided by CMake) or Qt5 (based on CMake support provided
> by Qt5) and my recent (6 months ago and now) experience with CMake
> builds is they also work fine for either Qt4 or Qt5.
>
> So like others here have commented, I suspect you have some Qt4
> installation issue (e.g., a mixture of private and system versions)
> that is causing your present difficulties.
>
> Alan
> __________________________
> Alan W. Irwin
>
> Astronomical research affiliation with Department of Physics and Astronomy,
>
> Programming affiliations with the FreeEOS equation-of-state
> implementation for stellar interiors (freeeos.sf.net); the Time
> Ephemerides project (timeephem.sf.net); PLplot scientific plotting
> software package (plplot.sf.net); the libLASi project
> (unifont.org/lasi); the Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net);
> and the Linux Brochure Project (lbproject.sf.net).
> __________________________
>
> Linux-powered Science
> __________________________

Re: CMake 3.7.1 gui fails to launch

Hendrik Sattler

Am 6. Januar 2017 23:37:00 MEZ schrieb [hidden email]:

>And the answer is...
>
>I recently installed an IDE from a not-to-be-named company that I do a
>
>lot of business with.  The installation of that software places their
>installation directory in LD_LIBRARY_PATH and guess what? their
>installation contains a copy of libQtGui.so and libQtCore.so.  The
>"ldd" tip led me to that discovery.  For now I have put
>/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu in front of their path in LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>and cmake-gui V3.7.1 is working.  I may have to come up with a more
>permanent fix, but for now their stuff seems to work and CMake seems
>to work, so I'm claiming victory.

Maybe as a customer you should tell them about this bad experience. They should either set RPATH in their programs or should set LD_LIBRARY_PATH only in a start wrapper script.
In a program that lets the user start other programs, RPATH should be preferred or  LD_LIBRARY_PATH should be cleaned up for child processes.

HS

Re: CMake 3.7.1 gui fails to launch

Daniel Schepler
Another alternative, which is the one we use here, is to configure the custom Qt build with a "-qtlibinfix" flag - which produces libraries with completely different SONAMEs so there's no conflict.  (We use this in conjunction with an RPATH.)  One thing that could break is that some distributions set QT_PLUGIN_PATH for KDE logins which causes errors on trying to load incompatible plugins, so they might need to unset QT_PLUGIN_PATH in their wrapper script.
--
Daniel