CMake 2.8.0 RC 1 ready for testing!

123

CMake 2.8.0 RC 1 ready for testing!

Bill Hoffman
I am happy to announce that CMake 2.8.0 has entered the beta stage! You
can find the source and binaries here: http://www.cmake.org/files/v2.8/.

I am sure I am leaving something out, but here is the list of changes
that I came up with.  (If you notice something missing please let me
know and I will add it to the official release when 2.8.0 is finalized.)
Changes in CMake 2.8.0 RC 1

- Qt based GUI cmake-gui is now the default GUI, MFC CMakeSetup is no
   longer included in CMake.  ccmake is still supported.
- cmake-gui supports multi-state values options.
- CMake now has cmake --build command that can build any CMake generated
   project from the command line.
- Visual Studio 2010 beta support has been added.
- Significant improvements for the Eclipse project generator (all
   targets are now available in Eclipse, system include dirs and
   predefined macros are now  detected so syntax highlighting works
   better)
- KDevelop generator now has color output for builds, and non verbose
   makefiles.
- CTest supports running tests in parallel with a -j N option.
- A new CTest CTEST_USE_LAUNCHERS option can be used to get better
   dashboard error reports with make based tools.
- CTest has support for sub-projects and labels which can interact
   with CDash.
- CTest now supports Git, Mercurial, and Bazaar.
- It is now possible to use DESTDIR in CPack for any CMake based projects
   giving more flexibility on the final path names.
- The CPack Deb generator now computes the arch instead of hard coding it.
- Fortran/C mixed language projects made much easier. CMake now
   automatically can compute the run time libraries for a compiler. In
   addition, a new FortranCInterface module can determine the correct
   name mangling needed to mix C and Fortran.
- Intel compiler support added to OSX, and support for embedded
   manifests in the windows intel compiler was added.
- Depend scanning is now much faster with makefiles.
- Many FindQt4 improvements to stay working with current Qt releases
- FindMPI has improvements for windows.
- FindRuby.cmake now supports Ruby 1.9
- FindBoost has been updated to work with the most recent boost releases.
- New External Project Module.  The 'ExternalProject_Add' function
   creates a custom target to drive download, update/patch, configure,
   build, install and test steps of an external project.
- xmlrpc dependancy has been removed
- CMAKE_OSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET cache variable has been created to set the
   deployment OS for a build on OSX.
- Several new policies were added:
   CMP0012
        The if() command can recognize named boolean constants.
   CMP0013
        Duplicate binary directories are not allowed.
   CMP0014
        Input directories must have CMakeLists.txt.
   CMP0015
        The set() CACHE mode and option() command make the cache value
        visible.
- Lots of bug fixes.

Please try this version of CMake on your projects and report any issues
to the list or the bug tracker ( I have added a CMake-2-8 version ).

Happy, building!

-Bill

Re: CMake 2.8.0 RC 1 ready for testing!

Pau Garcia i Quiles
Hello,

Wow, this is really a surprise. I was not expecting CMake 2.8.0 until
at least mid-2010! What's the expected release date for 2.8.0 final ?

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 10:07 PM, Bill Hoffman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>  creates a custom target to drive download, update/patch, configure,
>  build, install and test steps of an external project.
> - xmlrpc dependancy has been removed
> - CMAKE_OSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET cache variable has been created to set the
>  deployment OS for a build on OSX.
> - Several new policies were added:
>  CMP0012
>       The if() command can recognize named boolean constants.
>  CMP0013
>       Duplicate binary directories are not allowed.
>  CMP0014
>       Input directories must have CMakeLists.txt.
>  CMP0015
>       The set() CACHE mode and option() command make the cache value
>       visible.
> - Lots of bug fixes.
>

> Please try this version of CMake on your projects and report any issues
> to the list or the bug tracker ( I have added a CMake-2-8 version ).

Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org

CMake 2.8.0 RC 1 ready for testing!

Eric Noulard
I was too fast I forgot the list

2009/9/25 Bill Hoffman <[hidden email]>:
> I am happy to announce that CMake 2.8.0 has entered the beta stage! You
> can find the source and binaries here: http://www.cmake.org/files/v2.8/.

Just built and tested on somes projects.
Awesome, works like a charm.

For those of you which wants to give it a try without messing-up there install
I offer to share a stupid (but useful to me)
update-alternatives script which use update-alternatives(8) to
switch / install cmake version installed on your machine.

usage is simple:

1) Modify CMAKE_HOME in order make it
   point to your CMake 2.8 install location

$ cmake-alternatives-2.8.sh on

will install the alternative.
The script is attached to the mail.

If some of you find it useful this kind of script can even be
put in the CMake source tree and
CONFIGURE_FILEd + INSTALLed along with cmake
in share/cmake-<version>/scripts.

> - Lots of bug fixes.

Like you said at least 3 for CPack RPM,
I did update the CPack pending bugs or features lists:
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/CMake:CPackPackageGenerators#CPack_RPM_currently_pending_bugs.2Ffeatures

rpm 4.6.x users should definitely try CMake 2.8.

--
Erk
http://www.april.org

--
Erk
http://www.april.org

cmake-alternatives-2.8.sh (992 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: CMake 2.8.0 RC 1 ready for testing!

Clinton Stimpson

Where can I find more info on
- Fortran/C mixed language projects made much easier. CMake now
    automatically can compute the run time libraries for a compiler.

Does that mean there is a variable I can use instead of manually specifying
libgfortran, libg2c and others depending on the compiler used?
I can't seem to find anything like that in Modules/*

Thanks,
Clint

On Friday 25 September 2009 02:07:21 pm Bill Hoffman wrote:

> [...]
>    creates a custom target to drive download, update/patch, configure,
>    build, install and test steps of an external project.
> - xmlrpc dependancy has been removed
> - CMAKE_OSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET cache variable has been created to set the
>    deployment OS for a build on OSX.
> - Several new policies were added:
>    CMP0012
>         The if() command can recognize named boolean constants.
>    CMP0013
>         Duplicate binary directories are not allowed.
>    CMP0014
>         Input directories must have CMakeLists.txt.
>    CMP0015
>         The set() CACHE mode and option() command make the cache value
>         visible.
> - Lots of bug fixes.
>

> Please try this version of CMake on your projects and report any issues
> to the list or the bug tracker ( I have added a CMake-2-8 version ).

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Pau Garcia i Quiles
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Wow, this is really a surprise. I was not expecting CMake 2.8.0 until
> at least mid-2010! What's the expected release date for 2.8.0 final ?

As soon as the major issues with 2.8.0 rc's are worked out.   Nothing
really show stopping has showed up yet... :)

-Bill

Re: CMake 2.8.0 RC 1 ready for testing!

Andreas Pakulat-2
On 25.09.09 16:07:21, Bill Hoffman wrote:
> I am happy to announce that CMake 2.8.0 has entered the beta stage! You
> can find the source and binaries here: http://www.cmake.org/files/v2.8/.
>
> I am sure I am leaving something out, but here is the list of changes
> that I came up with.  (If you notice something missing please let me
> know and I will add it to the official release when 2.8.0 is finalized.)
> Changes in CMake 2.8.0 RC 1

Not sure which one is newer, but I just cvs up'ed to the CMAKE-2-8
branch and tried to build and it failed with this:
[ 90%] Building CXX object
Source/CMakeFiles/CTestLib.dir/CTest/cmCTestUpdateCommand.o
In file included from /home/andreas/src/CMake/Utilities/cm_xmlrpc.h:26,
                 from
/home/andreas/src/CMake/Source/CTest/cmCTestSubmitHandler.cxx:28:
/home/andreas/src/CMake/Utilities/cmxmlrpc/xmlrpc.h:32:36: error:
cmxmlrpc/xmlrpc_config.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /home/andreas/src/CMake/Utilities/cm_xmlrpc.h:27,
                 from
/home/andreas/src/CMake/Source/CTest/cmCTestSubmitHandler.cxx:28:
/home/andreas/src/CMake/Utilities/cmxmlrpc/xmlrpc_client.h:227: warning:
‘xmlrpc_client_event_loop_finish_asynch_timeout’ initialized and
declared ‘extern’
/home/andreas/src/CMake/Utilities/cmxmlrpc/xmlrpc_client.h:227: error:
variable or field ‘xmlrpc_client_event_loop_finish_asynch_timeout’
declared void
/home/andreas/src/CMake/Utilities/cmxmlrpc/xmlrpc_client.h:227: error:
‘timeout_t’ was not declared in this scope
make[2]: ***
[Source/CMakeFiles/CTestLib.dir/CTest/cmCTestSubmitHandler.o] Error 1

Andreas

--
You will be awarded a medal for disregarding safety in saving someone.

Re: CMake 2.8.0 RC 1 ready for testing!

Alexander Neundorf-3
On Saturday 26 September 2009, Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> On 25.09.09 16:07:21, Bill Hoffman wrote:
> > I am happy to announce that CMake 2.8.0 has entered the beta stage! You
> > can find the source and binaries here: http://www.cmake.org/files/v2.8/.
> >
> > I am sure I am leaving something out, but here is the list of changes
> > that I came up with.  (If you notice something missing please let me
> > know and I will add it to the official release when 2.8.0 is finalized.)
> > Changes in CMake 2.8.0 RC 1
>
> Not sure which one is newer, but I just cvs up'ed to the CMAKE-2-8
> branch and tried to build and it failed with this:
> [ 90%] Building CXX object
> Source/CMakeFiles/CTestLib.dir/CTest/cmCTestUpdateCommand.o
> In file included from /home/andreas/src/CMake/Utilities/cm_xmlrpc.h:26,
>                  from
> /home/andreas/src/CMake/Source/CTest/cmCTestSubmitHandler.cxx:28:
> /home/andreas/src/CMake/Utilities/cmxmlrpc/xmlrpc.h:32:36: error:

I think something went wrong with your checkout/update. The directory
CMake/Utilities/cmxmlrpc/ should be empty/non-existant.

Alex

2009/9/26 Alexander Neundorf <[hidden email]>:

> On Saturday 26 September 2009, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>>
>> Not sure which one is newer, but I just cvs up'ed to the CMAKE-2-8
>> branch and tried to build and it failed with this:
>> [ 90%] Building CXX object
>> Source/CMakeFiles/CTestLib.dir/CTest/cmCTestUpdateCommand.o
>> In file included from /home/andreas/src/CMake/Utilities/cm_xmlrpc.h:26,
>>                  from
>> /home/andreas/src/CMake/Source/CTest/cmCTestSubmitHandler.cxx:28:
>> /home/andreas/src/CMake/Utilities/cmxmlrpc/xmlrpc.h:32:36: error:
>
> I think something went wrong with your checkout/update. The directory
> CMake/Utilities/cmxmlrpc/ should be empty/non-existant.

You may need to add pruning "-P" option to your cvs udpate command.
I did a fresh checkout and had no trouble compiling CMake.

--
Erk
http://www.april.org

Re: CMake 2.8.0 RC 1 ready for testing!

Michael Wild
Usually I use

cvs update -dARP

which IMHO should probably be the default, because that's what people
(i.e. me) expect from an update.

Are there any plans for CMake (and other Kitware projects) to switch
over to a more contemporary VCS, such as git, hg or bzr (in the order
of my preference :-))?

Michael

On 26.09.2009, at 14:49, Eric Noulard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2009/9/26 Alexander Neundorf <[hidden email]>:
>> On Saturday 26 September 2009, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>>>
>>> Not sure which one is newer, but I just cvs up'ed to the CMAKE-2-8
>>> branch and tried to build and it failed with this:
>>> [ 90%] Building CXX object
>>> Source/CMakeFiles/CTestLib.dir/CTest/cmCTestUpdateCommand.o
>>> In file included from /home/andreas/src/CMake/Utilities/
>>> cm_xmlrpc.h:26,
>>>                 from
>>> /home/andreas/src/CMake/Source/CTest/cmCTestSubmitHandler.cxx:28:
>>> /home/andreas/src/CMake/Utilities/cmxmlrpc/xmlrpc.h:32:36: error:
>>
>> I think something went wrong with your checkout/update. The directory
>> CMake/Utilities/cmxmlrpc/ should be empty/non-existant.
>
> You may need to add pruning "-P" option to your cvs udpate command.
> I did a fresh checkout and had no trouble compiling CMake.
>

> --
> Erk
> Membre de l'April - « promouvoir et défendre le logiciel libre » -
> http://www.april.org

Re: CMake 2.8.0 RC 1 ready for testing!

Wojciech Migda-3

and what about clearcase snapshot views updating ? Any plans ?

Wojciech

Michael Wild pisze:

> Usually I use
>
> cvs update -dARP
>
> which IMHO should probably be the default, because that's what people
> (i.e. me) expect from an update.
>
> Are there any plans for CMake (and other Kitware projects) to switch
> over to a more contemporary VCS, such as git, hg or bzr (in the order
> of my preference :-))?
>
> Michael
>
> On 26.09.2009, at 14:49, Eric Noulard <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I think something went wrong with your checkout/update. The directory
>>> CMake/Utilities/cmxmlrpc/ should be empty/non-existant.
>> You may need to add pruning "-P" option to your cvs udpate command.
>> I did a fresh checkout and had no trouble compiling CMake.
>>

>> --
>> Erk
>> Membre de l'April - « promouvoir et défendre le logiciel libre » -
>> http://www.april.org
>> Powered by www.kitware.com

http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

Bezplatne konto i limit do 100 tys. Otwierasz?
http://link.interia.pl/f2342

2009/9/26 Michael Wild <[hidden email]>:
> Usually I use
>
> cvs update -dARP
>
> which IMHO should probably be the default, because that's what people (i.e.
> me) expect from an update.

-dRP are ok even if I think R is not needed, however you usually don't
want A unless you want to checkout cvs HEAD.

> Are there any plans for CMake (and other Kitware projects) to switch over to
> a more contemporary VCS, such as git, hg or bzr (in the order of my
> preference :-))?

You may already set up a git cvsimport repository which may be
updated daily/hourly. That way you may git clone + branch
from the cvs-imported repo and use git instead of cvs.

If the cvs imported repo is publicly available
other may benefits from your GIT repo.

--
Erk
http://www.april.org

On 26.09.2009, at 19:33, Eric Noulard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2009/9/26 Michael Wild <[hidden email]>:
>> Usually I use
>>
>> cvs update -dARP
>>
>> which IMHO should probably be the default, because that's what
>> people (i.e.
>> me) expect from an update.
>
> -dRP are ok even if I think R is not needed, however you usually don't
> want A unless you want to checkout cvs HEAD.

As I said, people refers mainly to me, and that's the behaviour I
want... But you're right, of course.

>> Are there any plans for CMake (and other Kitware projects) to
>> switch over to
>> a more contemporary VCS, such as git, hg or bzr (in the order of my
>> preference :-))?
>
> You may already set up a git cvsimport repository which may be
> updated daily/hourly. That way you may git clone + branch
> from the cvs-imported repo and use git instead of cvs.
>
> If the cvs imported repo is publicly available
> other may benefits from your GIT repo.

I am doing this with ParaView, but I find it to be rather fragile.
Especially the option which supposedly should prevent "noisy
commits" (can't remember it's name right now) caused git cvsimport to
actually lose commits. Strange thing is, the commits showed up in the
log of the CVS parsing program just fine... I think the main problem
is that CVS only tracks individual files and has no notion of commit
sets.

Michael

Re: CMake 2.8.0 RC 1 ready for testing!

Cristian Adam-3
Bill Hoffman wrote:
> - Qt based GUI cmake-gui is now the default GUI, MFC CMakeSetup is no
>   longer included in CMake.  ccmake is still supported.

If MFC is no longer used then the following files should not be part
of the installer:

Microsoft.VC90.MFCLOC.manifest
Microsoft.VC90.MFC.manifest
mfcm90u.dll
mfcm90.dll
mfc90u.dll
mfc90kor.dll
mfc90jpn.dll
mfc90ita.dll
mfc90fra.dll
mfc90esp.dll
mfc90enu.dll
mfc90deu.dll
mfc90cht.dll
mfc90chs.dll
mfc90.dll

I've checked that MFC is no longer referenced:

c:\Program Files\CMake 2.8\bin
$ dumpbin /imports ctest.exe | findstr -i mfc

c:\Program Files\CMake 2.8\bin
$ dumpbin /imports cpack.exe | findstr -i mfc

c:\Program Files\CMake 2.8\bin
$ dumpbin /imports cmw9xcom.exe | findstr -i mfc

c:\Program Files\CMake 2.8\bin
$ dumpbin /imports cmake-gui.exe | findstr -i mfc

c:\Program Files\CMake 2.8\bin
$ dumpbin /imports cmake.exe | findstr -i mfc

c:\Program Files\CMake 2.8\bin
$

Cheers,
Cristian.

Re: CMake 2.8.0 RC 1 ready for testing!

Pau Garcia i Quiles
On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 10:07 PM, Bill Hoffman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am happy to announce that CMake 2.8.0 has entered the beta stage! You
> can find the source and binaries here: http://www.cmake.org/files/v2.8/.
>
> I am sure I am leaving something out, but here is the list of changes
> that I came up with.  (If you notice something missing please let me
> know and I will add it to the official release when 2.8.0 is finalized.)
[...]

KDE trunk does not build for me with CMake 2.8.0 RC1. I have trouble
with kdebase:

CMake Internal Error (please report a bug) in workspace/kdm/CMakeLists.txt:
  cmTarget::GetOutputInfo called for config.ci which has type UTILITY

I tried to remove the build directory and recreate it, only to get the
same results. This is the CMakeLists.txt:

http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdebase/workspace/kdm/CMakeLists.txt?revision=905359&view=markup

I have not looked into the issue yet.

The rest of KDE seems to build fine, although I have not tried to do a
full configure and build with 2.8 RC1 yet (I started from a 2.6.4
build tree).

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org

On 28.09.09 00:05:35, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 10:07 PM, Bill Hoffman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I am happy to announce that CMake 2.8.0 has entered the beta stage! You
> > can find the source and binaries here: http://www.cmake.org/files/v2.8/.
> >
> > I am sure I am leaving something out, but here is the list of changes
> > that I came up with.  (If you notice something missing please let me
> > know and I will add it to the official release when 2.8.0 is finalized.)
> [...]
>
> KDE trunk does not build for me with CMake 2.8.0 RC1. I have trouble
> with kdebase:
>
> CMake Internal Error (please report a bug) in workspace/kdm/CMakeLists.txt:
>   cmTarget::GetOutputInfo called for config.ci which has type UTILITY
>
> I tried to remove the build directory and recreate it, only to get the
> same results. This is the CMakeLists.txt:
>
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdebase/workspace/kdm/CMakeLists.txt?revision=905359&view=markup
>
> I have not looked into the issue yet.

Same problem here and I think the reason is that the CMakeLists.txt uses
the same name for a target that its using for an output file. I've
changed the target name to config_ci and then CMake worked.

@CMake devs: Should this be allowed or is it something that "worked
accidentally" in cmake 2.6?

Andreas

--
You have a will that can be influenced by all with whom you come in contact.

Re: CMake 2.8.0 RC 1 ready for testing!

Andreas Pakulat-2
On 25.09.09 16:07:21, Bill Hoffman wrote:
> I am happy to announce that CMake 2.8.0 has entered the beta stage! You
> can find the source and binaries here: http://www.cmake.org/files/v2.8/.
>
> I am sure I am leaving something out, but here is the list of changes
> that I came up with.  (If you notice something missing please let me
> know and I will add it to the official release when 2.8.0 is finalized.)
> Changes in CMake 2.8.0 RC 1

Here's another error (building kdevplatform):

[ 57%] Built target kdevplatformvcs
vcs/dvcs/tests/CMakeFiles/dvcsTest.dir/build.make:47:
vcs/dvcs/tests/CMakeFiles/dvcsTest.dir/progress.make: No such file or
directory
make[2]: *** No rule to make target
`vcs/dvcs/tests/CMakeFiles/dvcsTest.dir/progress.make'.  Stop.
make[1]: *** [vcs/dvcs/tests/CMakeFiles/dvcsTest.dir/all] Error 2

I've tried building this:

svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/KDE/kdevplatform

using a fresh builddir, no local changes and the relevant CMakeLists.txt
file looks rather innocent:

http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdevplatform/vcs/dvcs/tests/CMakeLists.txt?revision=1017519&view=markup

Andreas

--
Don't hate yourself in the morning -- sleep till noon.

Re: CMake 2.8.0 RC 1 ready for testing!

David Cole
On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 4:12 AM, Andreas Pakulat <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 28.09.09 00:05:35, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 10:07 PM, Bill Hoffman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I am happy to announce that CMake 2.8.0 has entered the beta stage! You
> > can find the source and binaries here: http://www.cmake.org/files/v2.8/.
> >
> > I am sure I am leaving something out, but here is the list of changes
> > that I came up with.  (If you notice something missing please let me
> > know and I will add it to the official release when 2.8.0 is finalized.)
> [...]
>
> KDE trunk does not build for me with CMake 2.8.0 RC1. I have trouble
> with kdebase:
>
> CMake Internal Error (please report a bug) in workspace/kdm/CMakeLists.txt:
>   cmTarget::GetOutputInfo called for config.ci which has type UTILITY
>
> I tried to remove the build directory and recreate it, only to get the
> same results. This is the CMakeLists.txt:
>
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdebase/workspace/kdm/CMakeLists.txt?revision=905359&view=markup
>
> I have not looked into the issue yet.

Same problem here and I think the reason is that the CMakeLists.txt uses
the same name for a target that its using for an output file. I've
changed the target name to config_ci and then CMake worked.

@CMake devs: Should this be allowed or is it something that "worked
accidentally" in cmake 2.6?

This should be allowed. The fix is in CVS HEAD of CMake, and will be merged into the next RC...

Clinton Stimpson wrote:
> Where can I find more info on
> - Fortran/C mixed language projects made much easier. CMake now
>     automatically can compute the run time libraries for a compiler.
>
> Does that mean there is a variable I can use instead of manually specifying
> libgfortran, libg2c and others depending on the compiler used?
> I can't seem to find anything like that in Modules/*

No it does this automatically, no need to use a variable.

Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> On 25.09.09 16:07:21, Bill Hoffman wrote:
>> I am happy to announce that CMake 2.8.0 has entered the beta stage! You
>> can find the source and binaries here: http://www.cmake.org/files/v2.8/.
>>
>> I am sure I am leaving something out, but here is the list of changes
>> that I came up with.  (If you notice something missing please let me
>> know and I will add it to the official release when 2.8.0 is finalized.)
>> Changes in CMake 2.8.0 RC 1
>
> Here's another error (building kdevplatform):
>
> [ 57%] Built target kdevplatformvcs
> vcs/dvcs/tests/CMakeFiles/dvcsTest.dir/build.make:47:
> vcs/dvcs/tests/CMakeFiles/dvcsTest.dir/progress.make: No such file or
> directory
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target
> `vcs/dvcs/tests/CMakeFiles/dvcsTest.dir/progress.make'.  Stop.
> make[1]: *** [vcs/dvcs/tests/CMakeFiles/dvcsTest.dir/all] Error 2
>
> I've tried building this:
>
> svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/KDE/kdevplatform
>
> using a fresh builddir, no local changes and the relevant CMakeLists.txt
> file looks rather innocent:
>
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdevplatform/vcs/dvcs/tests/CMakeLists.txt?revision=1017519&view=markup

Can you try CVS Head and see if this is fixed?

Thanks

-Bill

Re: CMake 2.8.0 RC 1 ready for testing!

Martin Apel
Hi all,

thanks for your efforts to improve CMake. Especially the support to run
tests in parallel is really great!
However I found a few quirks in the first rc:
1. I have quite a lot of Fortran files in one of our projects. We use
the Intel Fortran 11 compiler to compile these.
    When gathering the objects into a static library CMake 2.6 used to
call "ar" and "ranlib".
    Now it seems to call the Intel tool xiar, which in turn calls xild
and this step takes ages (about one minute).
    I know that Intel recommends to use xiar instead of ar, but it used
to work for us to use ar, which is
    much faster (about 3 seconds). This is an issue which might keep us
from upgrading to 2.8, so it would be nice to have a
    way to restore the old behaviour or to tune the xiar call.
2. Fortran-related as well: On Linux we used to link in the following
Intel Fortran libraries explicitly: ifcoremt, imf, irc.
    With CMake 2.8 the following additional and unneeded (for us)
libraries can be found on the command line for the linker:
    ifport, ifcore, svml, ipgo, intlc, irc_s. As we do not copy these
shared libraries to our runtime directory, the resulting
    executables do not run. This means, that 2.8 is not
downward-compatible with 2.6 in this respect, so I would have to
    code a version check into the CMakeLists.txt. Is this intended
behaviour? Or can I tell CMake not to add any additional
    compiler libraries?

Apart from these two issues, it works great for me. Until now I only
tested it on Linux, but I will check on Windows as well.

Regards,

Martin