CDash documentation suggestions

CMake mailing list

I had a difficult time getting CDash to work even though I am familiar with MySQL.

Here are some suggestions for the documentation:

1) CDash requires these Python modules (

  • bcmath
  • cURL (for site statistics)
  • GD (for regression tests)
  • mbstring
  • pdo-mysql or pdo-postgresql
  • XSL
). One of the distros I found installed these modules by default. I did not know this until I ran php -m which displays what modules are installed.

2) For security reasons, MySQL no longer allows you to set the initial password from a regular (non-sudo) command line unless you ssh in.  Entering

sudo mysql -u root -p

and then typing the root password works. You can also do it like this:

ALTER USER 'root'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED WITH mysql_native_password BY 'yourPassword';

3) The easiest way to do the initial MySQL configuration is to edit (or create) /etc/mysql/my.cnf, add these lines,

[mysqld]
sql-mode=ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY,NO_ZERO_IN_DATE,NO_ZERO_DATE,ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION

and then restart MySQL.

sudo mysqld restart

4) This (https://askubuntu.com/questions/337874/change-apache-document-root-folder-to-secondary-hard-drive) is an example of how to change DocumentRoot to point to the CDash directory. Remember to restart Apache2 afterwards:

sudo  /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

5) Finally, the docs say you should initially go to

http://localhost/users.php

This will not work until you first do the install from here:

http://localhost/install.php

If you get a database connection refused while doing the install, your MySQL password is probably not set correctly.

Hope this helps,

--
Donald [|]
A bad day in [] is better than a good day in {}.