Quantcast

C/CXX/Fortran Compiler not found.

Kedar Moharana
Dear all,
  I am trying to build from a source code using CMAKE on Windows 7. I have no prior experience in building from source code, so I need your help in this regard.

The application requires following external dependencies with versions mentioned or more advanced versions:
  • CMake-2.6 (build system)
  • Qt-4.4 (UI framework)
  • gcc-4.3 (C, C++ and Fortran compilers)
So I installed CMake 2.8.7 in C:\Program files\CMake 2.8 directory, Qt-library-4.8.0 in the C:\Qt directory. For gcc-4.3, when I googled, I found I can install MinGW and so I installed the latest version in C:\MinGW directory.

When I am trying to build with CMAKE command, I am getting following error message:
________________________________

The C compiler identification is unknown

The CXX compiler identification is unknown

The Fortran compiler identification is unknown

Check for working C compiler: bcc32

CMake Error: your C compiler: "bcc32" was not found. Please set CMAKE_C_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or name.

CMake Error: Internal CMake error, TryCompile configure of cmake failed

Check for working C compiler: bcc32 -- broken

CMake Error at C:/Program Files/CMake 2.8/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:52 (MESSAGE):

The C compiler "bcc32" is not able to compile a simple test program.

It fails with the following output:

CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.

Call Stack (most recent call first):

CMakeLists.txt:2 (project)

CMake Error: your C compiler: "bcc32" was not found. Please set CMAKE_C_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or name.

CMake Error: your CXX compiler: "bcc32" was not found. Please set CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or name.

CMake Error: your Fortran compiler: "CMAKE_Fortran_COMPILER-NOTFOUND" was not found. Please set CMAKE_Fortran_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or name.

Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

_________________________________

I am using the Windows native command prompt.

Can anyone tell me why these compilers are not detected? If I have to give some path, then which files do I have to edit?

Thanks in advance for your suggestion.

Best wishes

Kedar Moharana
Research Scholar
Laboratory for Protein Biochemistry & Biomolecular Engineering (LProBE)
Ghent University,
9000 Ghent, Belgium

Re: C/CXX/Fortran Compiler not found.

Arjen Markus-2
Hello Kedar,

can you start the compiler from a command prompt
(DOS-box)?
That is: does the command "gcc" work?

If not, then you will have to add the location of the
compiler to your path:

path=c:\MinGW\bin;%PATH%

This, however, should have been taken care of by the
installation procedure.

CMake will be able to find the compiler from a DOS-box
where gcc works.

Regards,

Arjen

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 11:55:32 +0100
  Kedar Moharana <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER to a valid compiler path or name.
>
> CMake Error: your Fortran compiler:
>"CMAKE_Fortran_COMPILER-NOTFOUND" was
> not found. Please set CMAKE_Fortran_COMPILER to a valid
>compiler path or
> name.
>
> Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
>
> _________________________________
>

> I am using the Windows native command prompt.
>
> Can anyone tell me why these compilers are not detected?
>If I have to give
> some path, then which files do I have to edit?
>

> Thanks in advance for your suggestion.
>

> Best wishes
>
> --
> ******************************************************************************************
> Kedar Moharana
> Research Scholar
> Laboratory for Protein Biochemistry & Biomolecular

DISCLAIMER: This message is intended exclusively for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately and destroy this message. Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
The foundation 'Stichting Deltares', which has its seat at Delft, The Netherlands, Commercial Registration Number 41146461, is not liable in any way whatsoever for consequences and/or damages resulting from the improper, incomplete and untimely dispatch, receipt and/or content of this e-mail.

Re: C/CXX/Fortran Compiler not found.

Andreas Pakulat-2
On 11.01.12 11:55:32, Kedar Moharana wrote:

> Dear all,
>   I am trying to build from a source code using CMAKE on Windows 7. I have
> no prior experience in building from source code, so I need your help in
> this regard.
>
> The application requires following external dependencies with versions
> mentioned or more advanced versions:
>
>    - CMake-2.6 (build system)
>    - Qt-4.4 (UI framework)
>    - gcc-4.3 (C, C++ and Fortran compilers)
>
> So I installed CMake 2.8.7 in C:\Program files\CMake 2.8 directory,
> Qt-library-4.8.0 in the C:\Qt directory. For gcc-4.3, when I googled, I
> found I can install MinGW and so I installed the latest version in C:\MinGW
> directory.
>
> I am using the Windows native command prompt.
>
> Can anyone tell me why these compilers are not detected? If I have to give
> some path, then which files do I have to edit?

Can you execute 'gcc' in your command prompt? Add the gcc to the PATH.

Andreas

Re: C/CXX/Fortran Compiler not found.

Kedar Moharana
Dear Arjen,
  Thank you very much for the reply.
Indeed, gcc command is not working on windows command prompt.

As you mentioned, I tried to set the path with "path=c:\MinGW\bin;%PATH%" command.
Now gcc is working.

when I tried to build with CMAKE, it can detect the Fortran compiler; but C and CXX is not detected yet.

Here is the content of the C:\MinGW\bin folder:

aclocal
aclocal-1.10
aclocal-1.11
aclocal-1.4
aclocal-1.5
aclocal-1.6
aclocal-1.7
aclocal-1.8
aclocal-1.9
addr2line.exe
ar.exe
as.exe
autoconf
autoconf-2.13
autoconf-2.68
autoheader
autoheader-2.13
autoheader-2.68
autom4te
autom4te-2.68
automake
automake-1.10
automake-1.11
automake-1.4
automake-1.5
automake-1.6
automake-1.7
automake-1.8
automake-1.9
autopoint
autoreconf
autoreconf-2.13
autoreconf-2.68
autoscan
autoscan-2.13
autoscan-2.68
autoupdate
autoupdate-2.13
autoupdate-2.68
c++.exe
c++filt.exe
cc.exe
cpp.exe
dlltool.exe
dllwrap.exe
elfedit.exe
envsubst.exe
g++.exe
gcc.exe
gcov.exe
gdb-python27.exe
gdb.exe
gdbserver-python27.exe
gdbserver.exe
gettext.exe
gettext.sh
gettextize
gfortran.exe
gprof.exe
iconv.exe
ifnames
ifnames-2.13
ifnames-2.68
ld.bfd.exe
ld.exe
libexpat-1.dll
libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
libgettextlib-0-18-1.dll
libgettextpo-0.dll
libgettextsrc-0-18-1.dll
libgfortran-3.dll
libgmp-10.dll
libgomp-1.dll
libiconv-2.dll
libintl-8.dll
libltdl-7.dll
libmpc-2.dll
libmpfr-1.dll
libobjc-3.dll
libquadmath-0.dll
libssp-0.dll
libstdc++-6.dll
libtool
libtoolize
list
mingw32-c++.exe
mingw32-cc.exe
mingw32-g++-4.6.2.exe
mingw32-g++.exe
mingw32-gcc-4.6.2.exe
mingw32-gcc.exe
mingw32-gfortran.exe
mingw32-make.exe
mingwm10.dll
msgattrib.exe
msgcat.exe
msgcmp.exe
msgcomm.exe
msgconv.exe
msgen.exe
msgexec.exe
msgfilter.exe
msgfmt.exe
msggrep.exe
msginit.exe
msgmerge.exe
msgunfmt.exe
msguniq.exe
ngettext.exe
nm.exe
objcopy.exe
objdump.exe
pthreadGC2.dll
quserex-test.exe
ranlib.exe
readelf.exe
recode-sr-latin.exe
size.exe
strings.exe
strip.exe
windmc.exe
windres.exe
xgettext.exe

Could you suggest why C and CXX compilers are not detected yet?

Best wishes,
Kedar

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Arjen Markus <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Kedar,

if CMake can find the Fortran compiler and the command
"gcc" works from that same environment/DOS-box, then I
see no particular reason why CMake should not be able to
find it. Are the messages still the same (except for
the Fortran part)?

Note that you should start in a completely clean
directory,
as CMake keeps track of previous builds and build attempts
via all kinds of files in that directory. They may
interfere
with the proper operation.

Regards,

Arjen
On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:28:25 +0100
  Kedar Moharana <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Arjen,
>  Thank you very much for the reply.
> Indeed, gcc command is not working on windows command
>prompt.
>
> As you mentioned, I tried to set the path with
>"path=c:\MinGW\bin;%PATH%"
> command.
> Now gcc is working.
>
> when I tried to build with CMAKE, it can detect the
>Fortran compiler; but C
> and CXX is not detected yet.

DISCLAIMER: This message is intended exclusively for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately and destroy this message. Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.
The foundation 'Stichting Deltares', which has its seat at Delft, The Netherlands, Commercial Registration Number 41146461, is not liable in any way whatsoever for consequences and/or damages resulting from the improper, incomplete and untimely dispatch, receipt and/or content of this e-mail.

Re: C/CXX/Fortran Compiler not found.

Kedar Moharana
Dear Arjen,
   Just by googling I found a solution on internet which suggested to install VB and Intel Fortran. I tried and now cmake is detecting the C, CXX and Fortran compiler.
Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
regards,
Kedar

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Arjen Markus <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

strange, I use both the gcc/gfortran combination and the MSVC/Ifort
combination with CMake and I have no problems such as you describe.
Well, at least it is working for you now.

Regards,

Arjen