Quantcast

Building paraview from source

J Cook-2
Hi
Im trying to compile paraview from souce onto my computer in order to run
some plugins which require the source version. My computer is currently
running on Windows XP. The C compiler i am using is Microsoft Visual
Studio 2008 (version 9.0). Im very new to using these types of programs
and I keep getting the same error with CMake 2.8.0 when i try to configure
the build.

Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio
9.0/VC/bin/cl.exe
Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio
9.0/VC/bin/cl.exe -- broken
CMake Error at C:/Program Files/CMake
2.8/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:50 (MESSAGE):
  The C compiler "C:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0/VC/bin/cl.exe"
  is not able to compile a simple test program.

  It fails with the following output:

   Change Dir: C:/Program Files/ParaView3/BIN/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

  Run Build Command:C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.com
  CMAKE_TRY_COMPILE.sln /build Debug /project cmTryCompileExec

  Microsoft (R) Visual Studio Version 9.0.21022.8.

  Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp.  All rights reserved.

  1>------ Build started: Project: cmTryCompileExec, Configuration: Debug
  Win32 ------

  1>Compiling...

  1>Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 15.00.21022.08 for
  80x86

  1>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

  1>cl /Od /D "WIN32" /D "_WINDOWS" /D "_DEBUG" /D "CMAKE_INTDIR=\"Debug\""
  /D "_MBCS" /FD /RTCs /MDd /Fo"cmTryCompileExec.dir\Debug\\" /Fd"C:/Program
  Files/ParaView3/BIN/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/Debug/cmTryCompileExec.pdb" /W3 /c
  /Zi /TC /Zm1000

  1> ".\testCCompiler.c"

  1>testCCompiler.c

  1>c1 : fatal error C1060: compiler is out of heap space

  1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Program
  Files\ParaView3\BIN\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\cmTryCompileExec.dir\Debug\BuildLog.htm"

  1>cmTryCompileExec - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

  ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped
  ==========

  CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:1 (PROJECT)

Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

Any suggestions to fix this would be very welcome.
Thanks Jacob Cook

Re: Building paraview from source

Bill Hoffman
J Cook wrote:
> Hi
> Im trying to compile paraview from souce onto my computer in order to run
> some plugins which require the source version. My computer is currently
> running on Windows XP. The C compiler i am using is Microsoft Visual
> Studio 2008 (version 9.0). Im very new to using these types of programs
> and I keep getting the same error with CMake 2.8.0 when i try to configure
> the build.

The problem seems to be here:

>   1>c1 : fatal error C1060: compiler is out of heap space

I found this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/yz7kx3y2%28VS.71%29.aspx

Are you out of memory or low on the machine?  Can you compile something
without CMake?

-Bill

--
Bill Hoffman
Kitware, Inc.

Building paraview with shared libraries

J Cook-2
Hi
I am currently trying to build paraview from the source code with shared
libraries. I was able to build this code using CMake 2.8.0 and microsoft
visual studio 9 before however BUILD_SHARED_LIBS was off. When I turn this
value to on I am still able to generate the files in CMake but I get
errors whilst building paraview in visual studio, is there something else
i need to turn on or off to enable this to work. The initial error code in
visual studio is C4430.
Thanks for any help in advance.
Jacob Cook

Re: Building paraview from source

Nelis
Hi

Was there any resultion to this question?
I have the same problem and believe it machine-specfic, maybe some old stuff lying around in registry or on disk. Not yet yound the cause or solution.

regards

nelis