Building cmake: why is openssl linked?

Paul Smith
Hi all.

I build CMake myself.  I've noticed that on GNU/Linux by default cmake
will be linked with openssl and require these shared libraries to be
available at runtime.

Why does cmake link with these libraries?  I can't think of a reason it
might need them.  What do I lose in functionality if I force
CMAKE_USE_OPENSSL to OFF during the build?

Re: Building cmake: why is openssl linked?

Jean-Michaël Celerier
since CMake can download stuff, it needs to support https, hence SSL, hence OpenSSL

Best,

-------
Jean-Michaël Celerier

On Sun, 2018-01-14 at 01:08 +0100, Jean-Michaël Celerier wrote:
> https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/module/ExternalProject.html
>
> since CMake can download stuff, it needs to support https, hence SSL,
> hence OpenSSL

OK, thanks.

Does anyone know if there is way to convince CMake to use a decent SSL
library, like libressl or something, rather than the really horribly
managed openssl?

In the meantime I'll omit support for this in my builds of cmake, since
I don't actually use that feature.