Beginning to compiling CMake file

Crest Christopher
Hi, I'm a beginner to CMake and for weeks I've been trying to compile a
CMake file which I found on a github repository.  All I can say is I
have a CMakeLists.txt file but I don't know how to compile and I hope
someone can help ?

Christopher

Re: Beginning to compiling CMake file

Michael Ellery
typical usage would be something like (assuming you are at repo root) :

mkdir mybuild && cd mybuild
cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ..
cmake —build .

you can also opt to configure cmake (the equivalent of the first cmake command above) using a GUI like ccmake or cmake-gui if you prefer. The cmake build type can be changed depending on your needs. If the project depends on other libraries/tools, you might need to install those before building.

HTH,
Mike

> On Jul 30, 2018, at 9:17 PM, CrestChristopher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi, I'm a beginner to CMake and for weeks I've been trying to compile a CMake file which I found on a github repository.  All I can say is I have a CMakeLists.txt file but I don't know how to compile and I hope someone can help ?
>
> Christopher

Re: Beginning to compiling CMake file

Crest Christopher
Hi, I'm using CMake for Windows as I was informed that I couldn't use
`make` as the CMakeLists.txt file was only for CMake.

Within CMake for Windows I select the location of the source code which
is the cloned repository which include the CMakeLists.txt file that I
want to compile, followed by I select a folder where to build the
binaries; I'm then prompt for a generator for the project. Up to this
point am I doing this correctly ?

Thank You

On 7/31/2018 12:56 PM, Michael Ellery wrote:

> typical usage would be something like (assuming you are at repo root) :
>
> mkdir mybuild && cd mybuild
> cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ..
> cmake —build .
>
> you can also opt to configure cmake (the equivalent of the first cmake command above) using a GUI like ccmake or cmake-gui if you prefer. The cmake build type can be changed depending on your needs. If the project depends on other libraries/tools, you might need to install those before building.
>
> HTH,
> Mike
>
>> On Jul 30, 2018, at 9:17 PM, CrestChristopher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, I'm a beginner to CMake and for weeks I've been trying to compile a CMake file which I found on a github repository.  All I can say is I have a CMakeLists.txt file but I don't know how to compile and I hope someone can help ?
>>
>> Christopher
>>
>> --
>>
>> Powered by www.kitware.com

>> Kitware offers various services to support the CMake community. For more information on each offering, please visit:

Re: Beginning to compiling CMake file

Domen Vrankar
On Wed, Aug 1, 2018, 03:46 CrestChristopher <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, I'm using CMake for Windows as I was informed that I couldn't use
`make` as the CMakeLists.txt file was only for CMake.

CMake is a meta build system which means that on for example Linux it henerates make fliles so CMakeLists.txt should be run with cmake to generate those make files and then you run make in the build directory.

On Windows you usually use visual studio so cmake generates build and project files for it there.

Not use make and use cmake instead in this case means that you should use cmake to generate build files with cmake and not change generated build files by hand. It doesn't mean that after running cmake you shouldn't run make on those generated files if they were generated for make.

Within CMake for Windows I select the location of the source code which
is the cloned repository which include the CMakeLists.txt file that I
want to compile, followed by I select a folder where to build the
binaries; I'm then prompt for a generator for the project. Up to this
point am I doing this correctly ?

Michael already answered for you how to build it from command line on all platforms (on Linux you can also use 'make' directly instead of running 'cmake - build'). If you selected to generate files for Visual Studio cmake also generated vs project file so you can open it in ide and run build there instead.

Hope this clarifies things a bit more.

Regards,
Domen

On 7/31/2018 12:56 PM, Michael Ellery wrote:
> mkdir mybuild && cd mybuild
> cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ..
> cmake —build .

Re: Beginning to compiling CMake file

Michael Ellery
So it sounds like you are on windows. First, be sure that the project that you are building claims support for windows. Windows is still the “odd man out” platform in many cases, so you don’t want to chase your tail with a project that never claimed windows support in the first place. That said, assuming windows is a supported build env, then it further sounds like you are using cmake-gui.

The most sensible generator is one of the visual studio ones - 64 or 32 bit depending on your needs. Once you have generated a project with cmake, you then open that generated project with VS.

Alternatively, however, I’d also suggest you consider just using the built-in CMake support in Visual Studio. If you download the latest version of VS (even the community version), then you can just open a CMakeLIsts.txt file directly and VS will run the generation step for you. It works pretty well in my limited experience. It can a little tricky to figure out how to set some non-default options in this workflow, but that’s more advanced usage anyhow.

-Mike

> On Jul 31, 2018, at 6:46 PM, CrestChristopher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi, I'm using CMake for Windows as I was informed that I couldn't use `make` as the CMakeLists.txt file was only for CMake.
>
> Within CMake for Windows I select the location of the source code which is the cloned repository which include the CMakeLists.txt file that I want to compile, followed by I select a folder where to build the binaries; I'm then prompt for a generator for the project. Up to this point am I doing this correctly ?
>
> Thank You
>

> On 7/31/2018 12:56 PM, Michael Ellery wrote:
>> typical usage would be something like (assuming you are at repo root) :
>>
>> mkdir mybuild && cd mybuild
>> cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ..
>> cmake —build .
>>
>> you can also opt to configure cmake (the equivalent of the first cmake command above) using a GUI like ccmake or cmake-gui if you prefer. The cmake build type can be changed depending on your needs. If the project depends on other libraries/tools, you might need to install those before building.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Mike
>>
>>> On Jul 30, 2018, at 9:17 PM, CrestChristopher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi, I'm a beginner to CMake and for weeks I've been trying to compile a CMake file which I found on a github repository.  All I can say is I have a CMakeLists.txt file but I don't know how to compile and I hope someone can help ?
>>>
>>> Christopher
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Powered by www.kitware.com
>>>
>>> Please keep messages on-topic and check the CMake FAQ at: http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ
>>>
>>> Kitware offers various services to support the CMake community. For more information on each offering, please visit:
>>>
>>> CMake Support: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/support.html
>>> CMake Consulting: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/consulting.html
>>> CMake Training Courses: http://cmake.org/cmake/help/training.html

Re: Beginning to compiling CMake file

Volker Enderlein
Am 31.07.2018 um 06:17 schrieb CrestChristopher:
> Hi, I'm a beginner to CMake and for weeks I've been trying to compile a
> CMake file which I found on a github repository.  All I can say is I
> have a CMakeLists.txt file but I don't know how to compile and I hope
> someone can help ?
>
> Christopher

You may want to include information about the name and the link to the
project repository from Github to get the best possible responses.
Without that it's just shooting in the dark.

Cheers Volker

Re: Beginning to compiling CMake file

Crest Christopher
I hope this helps;
https://github.com/imageworks/OpenShadingLanguage/pull/824 ?

On 8/1/2018 5:20 PM, Volker Enderlein wrote:

> Am 31.07.2018 um 06:17 schrieb CrestChristopher:
>> Hi, I'm a beginner to CMake and for weeks I've been trying to compile
>> a CMake file which I found on a github repository.  All I can say is
>> I have a CMakeLists.txt file but I don't know how to compile and I
>> hope someone can help ?
>>
>> Christopher
>>
> You may want to include information about the name and the link to the
> project repository from Github to get the best possible responses.
> Without that it's just shooting in the dark.
>
> Cheers Volker

Re: Beginning to compiling CMake file

Volker Enderlein
Please have a look into the appveyor.yml file under section
build_script: you see the typical invocation of cmake for this github
project.

Cheers Volker

--
Volker Enderlein                         Institut für Mechatronik e.V.
Phone: +49 (0)371 531 19651              Reichenhainer Strasse 88

Vorstand:
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Welf-Guntram Drossel (Vorsitz)
Dipl.-Ing. Heiko Freudenberg (Geschäftsführer)

Amtsgericht Chemnitz VR 713
Ust.-IdNr. DE 159285348

Re: Beginning to compiling CMake file

Crest Christopher
Sorry, what is this information for; and how can it be used within the
`build_script` section in the appveyor.yml file ?

On 8/2/2018 9:30 AM, Volker Enderlein wrote:

> Please have a look into the appveyor.yml file under section
> build_script: you see the typical invocation of cmake for this github
> project.
>
> Cheers Volker
>
> Am 02/08/2018 um 15:18 schrieb CrestChristopher:
>> I hope this helps;
>> https://github.com/imageworks/OpenShadingLanguage/pull/824 ?

>>> You may want to include information about the name and the link to
>>> the project repository from Github to get the best possible
>>>
>>> Cheers Volker

Re: Beginning to compiling CMake file

Volker Enderlein
If you go to https://github.com/imageworks/OpenShadingLanguage

i.e. the top level directory of the github project, you'll se an
appveyor.yml file entry. That is the information for the continuous
integration tool (CI, AppVeyor) they are using to build the project from
scratch. If you look into it, you'll find a before_build and a
build_script section. Both contain calls to CMake either to build the
dependencies (before_build) or the project itself (build_script). This
is a starting point for you how to formulate your CMake call.

Cheers Volker

Am 03/08/2018 um 02:40 schrieb CrestChristopher:

> Sorry, what is this information for; and how can it be used within the
> `build_script` section in the appveyor.yml file ?
>

> On 8/2/2018 9:30 AM, Volker Enderlein wrote:
>> Please have a look into the appveyor.yml file under section
>> build_script: you see the typical invocation of cmake for this github
>> project.
>>
>> Cheers Volker
>>
>> Am 02/08/2018 um 15:18 schrieb CrestChristopher:
>>> I hope this helps;
>>> https://github.com/imageworks/OpenShadingLanguage/pull/824 ?

Re: Beginning to compiling CMake file

Crest Christopher
Hi, I assume that the first link I posted which was a link to OSL Toy
within the Open Shading Language repository uses the methods which you
mention to compile the file ?

> i.e. the top level directory of the github project, you'll se an
> appveyor.yml file entry. That is the information for the continuous
> integration tool (CI, AppVeyor) they are using to build the project
> from scratch. If you look into it, you'll find a before_build and a
> build_script section. Both contain calls to CMake either to build the
> dependencies (before_build) or the project itself (build_script). This
> is a starting point for you how to formulate your CMake call.

With the information within the before_build & build_script section; how
do I formulate the CMake call, as to compile ?

Thank You.

On 8/3/2018 2:48 AM, Volker Enderlein wrote:

> If you go to https://github.com/imageworks/OpenShadingLanguage
>
> i.e. the top level directory of the github project, you'll se an
> appveyor.yml file entry. That is the information for the continuous
> integration tool (CI, AppVeyor) they are using to build the project
> from scratch. If you look into it, you'll find a before_build and a
> build_script section. Both contain calls to CMake either to build the
> dependencies (before_build) or the project itself (build_script). This
> is a starting point for you how to formulate your CMake call.
>
> Cheers Volker
>
> Am 03/08/2018 um 02:40 schrieb CrestChristopher:
>> Sorry, what is this information for; and how can it be used within
>> the `build_script` section in the appveyor.yml file ?
>>

>> On 8/2/2018 9:30 AM, Volker Enderlein wrote:
>>> Please have a look into the appveyor.yml file under section
>>> build_script: you see the typical invocation of cmake for this
>>> github project.
>>>
>>> Cheers Volker

Re: Beginning to compiling CMake file

Volker Enderlein
Hi,

the configuration step of OSL is running this command (via a powershell
command), $... denotes always variables defined somewhere in the
appveyor file, $env: denotes environment variables.

cmake ..\.. -G "$GENERATOR"
-DCMAKE_CONFIGURATION_TYPES="$env:CONFIGURATION"
-DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH="$env:OPENIMAGEIOHOME;$DEP_DIR;$BOOST_ROOT;$LLVM_DIR"
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX="$DEP_DIR" -DLLVM_DIRECTORY="$LLVM_DIR"
-DLLVM_STATIC=ON -DOPENIMAGEIOHOME="$env:OPENIMAGEIOHOME"
-DBOOST_LIBRARYDIR="$BOOST_LIBRARYDIR"
-DFLEX_EXECUTABLE="C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\lib\winflexbison\tools\win_flex.exe"
-DBISON_EXECUTABLE="C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\lib\winflexbison\tools\win_bison.exe"
-DUSE_QT=OFF -DBUILDSTATIC=OFF -DLINKSTATIC=OFF

The build step is run via this command:

cmake --build . --config $env:CONFIGURATION -- /nologo /verbosity:minimal

So it builds the entire OSL Project.

As the OSL Toy is included in the master it should be built too.
(According to the documentation of the PR you linked to, you should
remove "-DUSE_QT=OFF" from the CMake configuration call.) And because
you are on Windows using a Visual Studio I suppose you can safely remove
-DLLVM_DIRECTORY="$LLVM_DIR" -DLLVM_STATIC=ON (as you are not building
with LLVM) and replace -G "$GENERATOR" by -G "Visual Studio 14 2015" or
-G "Visual Studio 15 2017". "$env:Configuration" ca be replaced with
"Release" (without the double quotes). Other environment variables and
variables may need to be replaced by %variable% if you build on a non
powershell command prompt. This is not tested, so you may need to adopt
other settings too.

I am not aware of any way to build OSL Toy separately. Maybe you should
drop Larry Gritz (the committer of the PR) a message asking for further
guidance as this is not really a CMake issue rather than a "How do I
compile only subproject Y of X" with CMake.

Cheers Volker

Am 03/08/2018 um 14:43 schrieb CrestChristopher:

> Hi, I assume that the first link I posted which was a link to OSL Toy
> within the Open Shading Language repository uses the methods which you
> mention to compile the file ?
>
>> i.e. the top level directory of the github project, you'll se an
>> appveyor.yml file entry. That is the information for the continuous
>> integration tool (CI, AppVeyor) they are using to build the project
>> from scratch. If you look into it, you'll find a before_build and a
>> build_script section. Both contain calls to CMake either to build the
>> dependencies (before_build) or the project itself (build_script).
>> This is a starting point for you how to formulate your CMake call.
>
> With the information within the before_build & build_script section;
> how do I formulate the CMake call, as to compile ?
>
> Thank You.
>

> On 8/3/2018 2:48 AM, Volker Enderlein wrote:
>> If you go to https://github.com/imageworks/OpenShadingLanguage
>>
>> i.e. the top level directory of the github project, you'll se an
>> appveyor.yml file entry. That is the information for the continuous
>> integration tool (CI, AppVeyor) they are using to build the project
>> from scratch. If you look into it, you'll find a before_build and a
>> build_script section. Both contain calls to CMake either to build the
>> dependencies (before_build) or the project itself (build_script).
>> This is a starting point for you how to formulate your CMake call.
>>
>> Cheers Volker
>>
>> Am 03/08/2018 um 02:40 schrieb CrestChristopher:
>>> Sorry, what is this information for; and how can it be used within
>>> the `build_script` section in the appveyor.yml file ?

Re: Beginning to compiling CMake file

Crest Christopher
Hi,

 From my understanding I must compile with Powershell ?

These variables mentioned in the appveyor file they are environment
variables which are set within cPanel ?

What is the first step I need to do and with what file from the
repository whether in PowerShell or CMake or both ?

Thanks