Auto generating package configuration file?

Auto generating package configuration file?

Damien R
Hi,

I know that I could write FooConfig.cmake.in, call configure_package_config_file() to generate package configuration file and call write_basic_package_version_file() to generate a version file.
Typically FooConfig.cmake.in contains:
@PACKAGE_INIT@
find_dependency(...)

My question is why do I need to do that? Is it not possible for cmake to autogenerate theses files?
I may be wrong but I think that "modern cmake" has the necessary informations to do that.

Regards,

Damien R.