Additional traffic on cmake.org concerning cmake documentation

Additional traffic on cmake.org concerning cmake documentation

Martin Weber-2
Hi,

this is a question to the people at cmake.org.

The CmakeEd plugin for eclipse [1],[2] currently comes with a copy of the
cmake documentation. Unfortunately, it refers to a fairly outdated version of
cmake (2.8.6) and the scripts to convert the docs to Eclipse help format do
not longer work and I have no time to maintain them.
As the author of CMakeEd, I would like to replace the bundled doc-files by
online links to documentation on cmake.org.

So my question is: Are there any objections regarding the additional IP
traffic on cmake.org imposed if CmakeEd-users would browse the online docs
instead of a local copy? Or would it be preferable to have a download-on-
demand feature for the docs?

CMakeEd currently has about 18k installs and gets roughly 700 more each month.
The attachment show the items to be replaced by online links to cmake.org.

Regards,
        Martin

[1] https://github.com/15knots/cmakeed
[2] https://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/cmake-editor

--
Cd wrttn wtht vwls s mch trsr.

Screenshot_20190115_2148.png (78K) Download Attachment

Re: Additional traffic on cmake.org concerning cmake documentation

frodak17

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 3:54 PM Martin Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

So my question is: Are there any objections regarding the additional IP
traffic on cmake.org imposed if CmakeEd-users would browse the online docs
instead of a local copy? Or would it be preferable to have a download-on-
demand feature for the docs?

CMakeEd currently has about 18k installs and gets roughly 700 more each month.
The attachment show the items to be replaced by online links to cmake.org.

Regards,
        Martin

Does the plugin use the cmake installed on the local machine?  Whenever I've installed CMake it comes with the HTML documents along with the binaries and modules.

Best regards,

Re: Additional traffic on cmake.org concerning cmake documentation

It would not be a problem as it relates to server load for you to
redirect to `https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/`, but as frodak17 a
better avenue would to investigate packaging the generated html files
( located in doc/cmake/html/ ).

Am Dienstag, 15. Januar 2019, 23:20:38 CET schrieb frodak17:

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 3:54 PM Martin Weber <[hidden email]>
>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > So my question is: Are there any objections regarding the additional IP
> > traffic on cmake.org imposed if CmakeEd-users would browse the online
> > docs
> > instead of a local copy? Or would it be preferable to have a download-on-
> > demand feature for the docs?
> >
> > CMakeEd currently has about 18k installs and gets roughly 700 more each
> > month.
> > The attachment show the items to be replaced by online links to cmake.org.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> >         Martin
>
> Does the plugin use the cmake installed on the local machine?  Whenever

No, it is just an editor.

--
Cd wrttn wtht vwls s mch trsr.

Am Mittwoch, 16. Januar 2019, 18:24:09 CET schrieb Robert Maynard:
> It would not be a problem as it relates to server load for you to
> redirect to `https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/`, but as frodak17 a

There would be no server load of users of the plugin. I plan to change the
HTML-links in the table-of-content sections to point to cmake.org instead of
pointing to the the bundled HTML-files.

> better avenue would to investigate packaging the generated html files
> ( located in doc/cmake/html/ ).

Packaging the generated html files seems to be the way to go.
But I do not want the html checked in at my github repo (Currently github
language-details says: HTML 77.6%).
Are the HTML files for cmake docs available in a zip file, so I can let the
CmakeEd doc build download them? I found them in <https://cmake.org/files/
v3.13/cmake-3.13.3-Linux-x86_64.tar.gz> but am unsure whether that is the
proper file to use.

THX,
        Martin

--