A simple website to get started on new CMake projects

A simple website to get started on new CMake projects

Julio Gutierrez

Hello all,

I’ve used CMake for a few years now in almost all of my projects. It’s a great tool and it makes my life easy. However, every time I start a new project, I just can’t remember CMake’s syntax and all of the commands. I usually spend a lot of time rereading the CMake docs or referencing my old CMake scripts. So I decided to make an open-source website that will help developers get started on a new CMake-based project just a tiny bit faster.

It’s available here (requires JavaScript and a modern browser): https://jgcoded.github.io/CMakeStarter/

Instead of writing your CMake code from scratch, you instead fill out a few forms on this website. Once you’ve filled out everything to your liking, you can then download the skeleton files as a ZIP file.

The website does have a few shortcomings, and the generated CMake files are in my own personal opinion of what I think is right. The way I’ve used CMake might be different from how others use it, so that’s where I think I can get some help from the CMake community. if you think something isn’t right or if something is missing, then please submit a new issue on project’s issue page, found here: https://github.com/jgcoded/CMakeStarter/issues. Or even better, send a pull request!

Regards,

Julio

Re: A simple website to get started on new CMake projects

Klaim - Joël Lamotte
Well it's interesting but clearly you are providing help in only one kind of organisation.

For example:
 - if you are doing a library that have public and private headers, it helps A LOT to have the public headers
   in an "include" directory - you don;t support this option;
 - you do not support header-only libraries;
 - for the dependencies, you don't take into account potential other way dependencies can be setup (by necessity)
   like if you use a dependency manager that works with cmake, like conan.

Hope that helps.

Joël